Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 04:59 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Except that Connecticut is 9 times smaller than Ohio in land area, and it is part of a metro of 20 million people (New York City), and is in the shadows of another metro of 4 million (Boston). Population here is very dense.

If he can't find what he likes here, he's not finding it anywhere.
Your reply makes no sense in the context of the comment.

So you're saying that because of CT's small size, that somehow makes the 4 million people in this region less relevant? A region that is almost exactly the same geographic size? So if he is looking for a date and 4 million are within say 60 miles that doesn't matter because.... what? The same amount if people in the same amount of space don't matter because the states boundaries are different? I'm sorry, what????

Or that if he can't find what he's looking for in the NE he can't find it anywhere? Except for, oh, I don't know, the job offer he has here, which is what this whole thread is about?

Or throwing in Boston which is... what, a 2 hr commute? How is that even relevant? Hey guess what Detroit-Toledo-Pittsburgh-Columbus are all more or less in that radius. Let's tack on an extra 8 million people just in case we wanted to make some more irrelevant points.

Your statements are factual but did you actually read the thread first?

Last edited by SquareBetterThanAll; 08-21-2012 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 PM

21,628 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
Your reply makes no sense in the context of the comment.

So you're saying that because of CT's small size, that somehow makes the 4 million people in this region less relevant? A region that is almost exactly the same geographic size? So if he is looking for a date and 4 million are within say 60 miles that doesn't matter because.... what? The same amount if people in the same amount of space don't matter because the states boundaries are different? I'm sorry, what????

Or that if he can't find what he's looking for in the NE he can't find it anywhere? Except for, oh, I don't know, the job offer he has here, which is what this whole thread is about?

Or throwing in Boston which is... what, a 2 hr commute? How is that even relevant? Hey guess what Detroit-Toledo-Pittsburgh-Columbus are all more or less in that radius. Let's tack on an extra 8 million people just in case we wanted to make some more irrelevant points.

Your statements are factual but did you actually read the thread first?
Relax, cowboy. My statement makes perfect sense - simply because there seems to be a complex doesn't mean it's untrue. I was in no way implying Ohio's resident's don't matter. Not sure where you squeezed that from.

What "job offer" are you talking about? The guy simply looked at job postings and saw a few openings in Akron, and thought "hmm". That's all. No job offer there buddy.

My point was that, as you discuss your bustling population, Connecticut is part of one of the largest metros in the world with every type of person you can imagine at it's doorstep (and sitting in traffic on it's highways). In the eastern part of the state, a Boston commute (which, by the way - where did I say anything about a Boston commute??) is less than an hour.

I was not saying anything good, bad or indifferent about Ohio. I was informing the OP (who has a grass is greener syndrome - look at the threads they've started) that if they're concerned about meeting a lot of different people, living a gay lifestyle and being accepted for whoever they are, they can find it in their backyard.

Again - relax, pal.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:37 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,956,053 times
Quote:
Relax, cowboy. My statement makes perfect sense - simply because there seems to be a complex doesn't mean it's untrue. I was in no way implying Ohio's resident's don't matter. Not sure where you squeezed that from.

What "job offer" are you talking about? The guy simply looked at job postings and saw a few openings in Akron, and thought "hmm". That's all. No job offer there buddy.

My point was that, as you discuss your bustling population, Connecticut is part of one of the largest metros in the world with every type of person you can imagine at it's doorstep (and sitting in traffic on it's highways). In the eastern part of the state, a Boston commute (which, by the way - where did I say anything about a Boston commute??) is less than an hour.

I was not saying anything good, bad or indifferent about Ohio. I was informing the OP (who has a grass is greener syndrome - look at the threads they've started) that if they're concerned about meeting a lot of different people, living a gay lifestyle and being accepted for whoever they are, they can find it in their backyard.

Again - relax, pal.
I already wrote in another thread (in the CT forum) that I am having a lot of trouble finding a better place than metro Hartford. But something is just missing from Hartford, and that is, that it just lacks people in my age group and the dating pool is not so great, because of that. Sure, it's a gay friendly area, but it's certainly not a gay mecca either. It only has two gay bars, while Akron has five. I mean, that's pathetic. Not that I'm a bar kind of guy, but it's still an indicator. There's just no gay social scene in the Hartford area, unfortunately. I missed that aspect of living in NYC, but don't want to live in a BIG city again.

Besides, I'm also trying to find a specific type of job opportunity, and for some reason, Hartford is running low on them. So, if I move away, it's very much a career driven decision; not just personal lifestyle preferences. What's wrong with that? It seems like your solution to everything is to just stay in CT forever, no matter what one's situation is.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I already wrote in another thread (in the CT forum) that I am having a lot of trouble finding a better place than metro Hartford. But something is just missing from Hartford, and that is, that it just lacks people in my age group and the dating pool is not so great, because of that. Sure, it's a gay friendly area, but it's certainly not a gay mecca either. It only has two gay bars, while Akron has five. I mean, that's pathetic. Not that I'm a bar kind of guy, but it's still an indicator. There's just no gay social scene in the Hartford area, unfortunately. I missed that aspect of living in NYC, but don't want to live in a BIG city again.

Besides, I'm also trying to find a specific type of job opportunity, and for some reason, Hartford is running low on them. So, if I move away, it's very much a career driven decision; not just personal lifestyle preferences. What's wrong with that? It seems like your solution to everything is to just stay in CT forever, no matter what one's situation is.
The only reason why I'm suggesting you stay in Connecticut is because you post in random city boards citing stereotypes of each city, and ask if it's true. Sometimes they are, sometimes not, but it seems you're not ready for actual change. Furthermore these places do not have the job accessibility of the urban Northeast with the crowd you seek. Basically, you have the "grass is greener" syndrome. But maybe it will take you moving away to appreciate what CT has to offer - the highest quality of life in the nation by human development (health, wealth, etc), open-mindedness (so when you do find that special someone, you can marry), access to major cities, and job availability.

Nep, given your credentials with accounting, you should really look in the Stamford area since it seems the lily Hartford suburbs are boring you. You can get to Midtown Manhattan on the 30 minute express should you desire that scene, and you can still enjoy leafy suburbia. Hartford is an upper middle class corporate powerhouse (lots of 50-75k jobs) but if you find the scene to be sterile, you would definitely like the southern part of the state.

Additionally, I think you might like San Francisco. It's pricey, but you can definitely make do with your salary.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 AM

192 posts, read 492,472 times
upper-middle-class = 50-75k jobs? hahahahahha lol

Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeababy View Post
upper-middle-class = 50-75k jobs? hahahahahha lol
Well lets see. Two people making 65k = 130k household. So yeah, statistically on a national scale where the average per capita income is $42k, that's upper middle class.

For Connecticut, where the per capita income is the highest in the nation, you're working class. For Ohio, where the per capita income is lower than the national average, you're top dog in the neighborhood.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:34 AM

192 posts, read 492,472 times
Quote:
Well lets see. Two people making 65k = 130k household. So yeah, statistically on a national scale, upper middle class.

For Connecticut, you're working class.

Your original post about salary mentioned nothing about two peoples' salaries.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeababy View Post
Your original post about salary mentioned nothing about two peoples' salaries.
Please take the time and re-read my post. Even going by ONE person's salary, on a national scale, that's considered upper middle class. Doh!

Last edited by kidyankee764; 08-22-2012 at 07:08 AM..

Old 08-22-2012, 11:00 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,819 times
Quote:
Relax, cowboy. My statement makes perfect sense - simply because there seems to be a complex doesn't mean it's untrue.
From reading your other comments there is obviously more context behind this than what's in this thread, which makes a little more sense than your original semi-out-of-context post.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:34 AM

145 posts, read 289,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm currently living in the Hartford, CT area, and noticed that there are some excellent job opportunities with First Energy in Akron. It would be a good career move for me. However, I want to know if it would be a good place to live for me.

A little about myself...28 year old gay male. I prefer a suburban/urban lifestyle, as long as its safe and clean. There should be a reasonable gay population, as I'm single and looking to date. Are Ohio people in that area very conservative and anti-gay? I'm also an atheist. Generally speaking, I'm on the quiet side and mind my own business type of person. I don't like highly sophisticated or expensive places. I don't need anything fancy like expensive restaurants, high fashion, etc. I like places that are more middle class and people aren't chasing money all the time. I prefer places that are moderate/slow paced and not stressful.

From what I've researched, it sems like the Akron area in general is kind of a S***hole. Is this true? I am probably going to look for an apartment up to $1,400. Can I find anything good for that in the area? I like a spacious living space that's quiet, preferably modern and clean.

Also, is the lifestyle/culture vastly different than New England? I enjoy experiencing new places, but don't want culture shock either. Are Ohio people and midwesterners nice in general?

Lastly, is First Energy a good company to work for? I heard mixed things (people working super long hours, etc., but great pay...).

Thanks!
If I were you I would really just forget Akron COMPLETELY and move to Lakewood. You'll fit right in. And that comes with my 99% Guarantee or your money back!!! Hmm... I guess you never paid anything in the first place did you. Well I did say 99%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton