Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,454,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawners View Post
I was already to move back to Ohio. I lived in Elyria, Loraine and Oberlin as a kid. I saw cheap homes in Akron and thought, Oh I want to live here. Saw old classic homes with reasonable prices. I am not living in a ghetto though. I'd move to Los Angeles if I was up for that. What are good places to live in in ohio where the weather is not so cold like right on the lake?
I saw where Akron is somewhat blocked from the real cold and snow of lets say Cleveland? Dang, no place to run. I may as well stay in the desert.
Whoever told you that lie needs to get punched in the face. It can get EXTREMELY cold in Akron, and it does get snow, plenty of snow. Just because Akron is not on the water doesn't mean that it is 20 degrees warmer here than it is in Cleveland. There is a very good reason why homes are as cheap as they are in Akron, and I grew up there and vowed never to go back and managed to stay away for 20 years, so I know what I speak of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 07:50 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawners View Post
I was already to move back to Ohio. I lived in Elyria, Loraine and Oberlin as a kid. I saw cheap homes in Akron and thought, Oh I want to live here. Saw old classic homes with reasonable prices. I am not living in a ghetto though. I'd move to Los Angeles if I was up for that. What are good places to live in in ohio where the weather is not so cold like right on the lake?
I saw where Akron is somewhat blocked from the real cold and snow of lets say Cleveland? Dang, no place to run. I may as well stay in the desert.
Cleveland and Akron average about the same temperature, Akrons only 1-2 degrees warmer on average, Canton is the same as Cleveland. Only difference is that areas right on the lake tend to be milder in temperature than more inland areas.

And Akron only gets a little less snow than Cleveland, Cleveland averages 56 inches each winter compared to 47 inches in Akron and Canton. It's the areas East of Cleveland that are in the heavy snowbelt that get 80+ inches a year on average, mainly in Geauga County.

To see any real difference in temperature and snowfall you have to go Columbus-South. Columbus is still only 3 degrees warmer, Dayton is 4-5, Cincinnati is 7. There is a good difference in snowfall though, Columbus averages about 29 inches, Dayton about 27, and Cincinnati about 24 inches.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDen View Post
I was wondering what Canton, Ohio is like?

Is the cost of housing lower then Akron?
What neighborhoods arent safe?
Any city buses to Akron?
If your looking for safety you can just cross Canton off your list completely. Most of Akron to.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:05 AM

5 posts, read 19,018 times
Akron is not that bad. I live here, I run at night and have never had a problem. There is always something to do between the metro parks, the art and theater community, downtown, sporting events, fairs, musical events, etc. Most of the schools are being rebuilt, the hospitals are excelent! There are many shops and diverse restraunts in the area aswell.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtakron View Post
Akron is not that bad. I live here, I run at night and have never had a problem. There is always something to do between the metro parks, the art and theater community, downtown, sporting events, fairs, musical events, etc. Most of the schools are being rebuilt, the hospitals are excelent! There are many shops and diverse restraunts in the area aswell.
No, Akron is not that bad. Really depends on where in Akron you are at. Each side of Akron has good neighborhoods and bad ones, just like in any city. There are some shady parts of the city, but none so big you cannot easily drive through or hop a bus to get out of, unlike Cleveland, where you are on your own and the police may or may not get there in a reasonable amount of time. North side is a lot worse than it was since I lived there though, but still seems relatively safe. West side always looks better than what it really is. and so on and so forth. East side is a mixed bag, I never spent a lot of time on the South side but from the few times I was there it seemed like it wasn't much different than the East side.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:01 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
No, Akron is not that bad. Really depends on where in Akron you are at. Each side of Akron has good neighborhoods and bad ones, just like in any city. There are some shady parts of the city, but none so big you cannot easily drive through or hop a bus to get out of, unlike Cleveland, where you are on your own and the police may or may not get there in a reasonable amount of time. North side is a lot worse than it was since I lived there though, but still seems relatively safe. West side always looks better than what it really is. and so on and so forth. East side is a mixed bag, I never spent a lot of time on the South side but from the few times I was there it seemed like it wasn't much different than the East side.
If by "North side" you mean the North Hill neighborhood, then yeah, I agree. It's seen better days. I dream of the day when Akron starts to grow and that area starts gentrifying. Can't beat the location(you know, sitting on a giant ass hill overlooking downtown).

Speaking of North Hill, has anyone else noticed how as you are driving up N Howard, you hit a sharp turn and then bam, it randomly transforms from a somewhat run down area to a very pleasant little neighborhood? Weird.

The West side is my favorite part of town. Practically anywhere north of market and west of Kuder Ave is relatively safe(that would roughly include Highland Square, Wallhaven, Northwest Akron, and the valley).

To be honest, outside of downtown, University Park, and the neighborhoods I listed above, the rest of Akron is nothing special.

That said, the above neighborhoods, along with easy access to some awesome state and national parks, makes Akron a pretty interesting place. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to have suffered as much as the other old manufacturing cities in Ohio.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
If by "North side" you mean the North Hill neighborhood, then yeah, I agree. It's seen better days. I dream of the day when Akron starts to grow and that area starts gentrifying. Can't beat the location(you know, sitting on a giant ass hill overlooking downtown).

Speaking of North Hill, has anyone else noticed how as you are driving up N Howard, you hit a sharp turn and then bam, it randomly transforms from a somewhat run down area to a very pleasant little neighborhood? Weird.

The West side is my favorite part of town. Practically anywhere north of market and west of Kuder Ave is relatively safe(that would roughly include Highland Square, Wallhaven, Northwest Akron, and the valley).

To be honest, outside of downtown, University Park, and the neighborhoods I listed above, the rest of Akron is nothing special.

That said, the above neighborhoods, along with easy access to some awesome state and national parks, makes Akron a pretty interesting place. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to have suffered as much as the other old manufacturing cities in Ohio.
Yes I do mean North Hill. Most do not realize that some other areas west of that hill are also the North side. I love that area; circular driveways, miniature mansions, very beautiful area. I love to see those type of properties within the city limits. No I am referring to that area east of the valley, Howard St. etc. North Hill also changes dramatically as you approach Cuyahoga Falls. I was between Howard and Cuyahoga Falls Ave. It was always sketchy but it is probably a lot worse now than it used to be.

You are right though downtown is the only reason you would want to be here. And our downtown is like a tiny fraction of what they have in Cleveland. Some of the neighborhoods outside of downtown get sketchy too. Once you get past all of those businesses, hospitals and East High School things get interesting.

I never had any fear in Akron though. Not once, and that was even in the early 90s when they said that the West side had all of the gangs and drive by shootings. Akron just does not translate to me in that way, nothing menacing about the place. To me Akron is just sketchy, and you can get comfortable in your surroundings when you probably should not, because it just does not look as bad as other cities do.

One of the strengths of Akron is that it is cheaper than the rest of the Midwest, even downtown. Northside Lofts, which was a lot more the last time I checked it. Is only $1,023 a month. That is almost half of what the most expensive apartments in Cleveland go for, at around $1,900 a month.

Akron never had the poverty that other cities, like Cleveland, Youngstown or Toledo, and of course Detroit enjoyed. Those cities had a lot of poverty even when the Midwest was at its height back in the 50s. A lot of people worked at companies like Goodyear, but not everyone did. Those jobs started disappearing back in the 70s; it was always stressed to me even as a child that those jobs would not be there when I graduated in the early 90s.

That is one of the reasons that the city is not in the same shape as those other cities. Akron did take a hit though; the population is under 200,000, which is something that I never thought would happen. Akron had 290,000 back in 1960, and the population has been in decline since then. Cleveland, on the other hand, had 914,000 at one time, but it peaked earlier, in 1950. Now it is sitting at 396,000; again, something we never thought would happen.

I doubt that anyone ever would have imagined that Cleveland would play second to Columbus. You can say that Columbus annexed everything around it, and that it is not as urban, but the bottom line is that 787,000 gives you more political capital than 396,000 does. Columbus may end up being the first and only city in Ohio to break one million within the city core, when that should have happened in Cleveland a long time ago. Northeast Ohio is turning into one huge ghetto full of blight.

Akron also has the look and feel of a suburb in a lot of neighborhoods within the city core. It isn't as urban as the other cities in Ohio, even Dayton, where some of the properties you find in Akron you would have to go to the suburbs to find in that city. Ohio should do more to encourage people to move into the state, instead of giving the choice, to move to Columbus or abandon the state altogether. Poor neighborhoods will never experience gentrification until the State of Ohio can get people to stay here. Population growth in this State is a pittance, compared to what it used to be. I am amazed that the population is over 11 million. We need double digit growth like they have in Virginia; even Maryland has better growth than we do. I don't see Akron breaking 300,000 anytime soon; it will be a blessing if we can break 200,000.

Last edited by goofy328; 09-29-2011 at 08:13 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Yes I do mean North Hill. Most do not realize that some other areas west of that hill are also the North side. I love that area; circular driveways, miniature mansions, very beautiful area. I love to see those type of properties within the city limits. No I am referring to that area east of the valley, Howard St. etc. North Hill also changes dramatically as you approach Cuyahoga Falls. I was between Howard and Cuyahoga Falls Ave. It was always sketchy but it is probably a lot worse now than it used to be.
Yup, that's exactly where I was talking about. The area right around Howard & Cuyahoga Falls Ave definitely looks rough around the edges. There's a large sign spray painted on one of the buildings that says something along the lines of "No drugs!". As you mentioned, it seems to get better as you get closer to Cuyahoga Falls(particularly once you get north of Adelford Ave).

Quote:
You are right though downtown is the only reason you would want to be here. And our downtown is like a tiny fraction of what they have in Cleveland. Some of the neighborhoods outside of downtown get sketchy too. Once you get past all of those businesses, hospitals and East High School things get interesting.
Yeah, dowtown is smaller than the major nearby cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh. But I've walked through all three CBD's in the past year(Akron, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh) and Akron's downtown is definitely in the best shape(in terms of upkeep, cleanliness, etc). Pound for pound, Akron is has rebounded better than most other rust belt cities, IMO(or perhaps, Akron just never fell quite as far as others).

Yeah, once you get so far from downtown in any direction, things tend to go downhill(actually, they technically go uphill, har har). The one exception might be the area directly to the east of downtown(the university). I'm not sure when you were here last, but that part of the city has improved tremendously.

Quote:
I never had any fear in Akron though. Not once, and that was even in the early 90s when they said that the West side had all of the gangs and drive by shootings. Akron just does not translate to me in that way, nothing menacing about the place. To me Akron is just sketchy, and you can get comfortable in your surroundings when you probably should not, because it just does not look as bad as other cities do.
I totally agree. There are areas on Cleveland's east side that I would just avoid at all costs. I can't think of anywhere in Akron like that. Sure, there are crappy areas where I wouldn't walk around after nightfall, but the urban blight just isn't as rampant.

Quote:
One of the strengths of Akron is that it is cheaper than the rest of the Midwest, even downtown. Northside Lofts, which was a lot more the last time I checked it. Is only $1,023 a month. That is almost half of what the most expensive apartments in Cleveland go for, at around $1,900 a month.

Akron never had the poverty that other cities, like Cleveland, Youngstown or Toledo, and of course Detroit enjoyed. Those cities had a lot of poverty even when the Midwest was at its height back in the 50s. A lot of people worked at companies like Goodyear, but not everyone did. Those jobs started disappearing back in the 70s; it was always stressed to me even as a child that those jobs would not be there when I graduated in the early 90s.

That is one of the reasons that the city is not in the same shape as those other cities. Akron did take a hit though; the population is under 200,000, which is something that I never thought would happen. Akron had 290,000 back in 1960, and the population has been in decline since then. Cleveland, on the other hand, had 914,000 at one time, but it peaked earlier, in 1950. Now it is sitting at 396,000; again, something we never thought would happen.

I doubt that anyone ever would have imagined that Cleveland would play second to Columbus. You can say that Columbus annexed everything around it, and that it is not as urban, but the bottom line is that 787,000 gives you more political capital than 396,000 does. Columbus may end up being the first and only city in Ohio to break one million within the city core, when that should have happened in Cleveland a long time ago. Northeast Ohio is turning into one huge ghetto full of blight.
All good points.

The way I see it, Cleveland is going to have to focus it's energies on revitalizing and maintaining chunks of it's urban core, and simply forget about the "Detroit-eque" sections of town for now. If Cleveland can continue to encourage private investment in it's healthier neighborhoods(Tremont, Ohio City, Edgewater, Lakewood, Detroit-Shoreway, University Circle, Little Italy, downtown etc) it will be okay. With the exception of University Circle, Little Italy, and chunks of Collinwood, most of the East side is done for. I know this will absolutely kill the bleeding hearts to hear, but it's a lost cause. The only people left in much of the east side are in abject poverty, and government help will only make things worse(****, that's what caused the problem in the first place!).

Quote:
Akron also has the look and feel of a suburb in a lot of neighborhoods within the city core. It isn't as urban as the other cities in Ohio, even Dayton, where some of the properties you find in Akron you would have to go to the suburbs to find in that city. Ohio should do more to encourage people to move into the state, instead of giving the choice, to move to Columbus or abandon the state altogether. Poor neighborhoods will never experience gentrification until the State of Ohio can get people to stay here. Population growth in this State is a pittance, compared to what it used to be. I am amazed that the population is over 11 million. We need double digit growth like they have in Virginia; even Maryland has better growth than we do. I don't see Akron breaking 300,000 anytime soon; it will be a blessing if we can break 200,000.
I agree. There isn't much the state can do. Ultimately, the region has to allow for private industry to come back. The University seems to be playing a strong role in bringing Akron into the 21st century.

IMO, Akron needs to do the following:

-Encourage more urbanized development near the central city. The new student apartments at the south end of downtown have done wonders for foot traffic in that area. The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

-Quit trying to sell "mixed income" housing in Northeast Ohio. This is not NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco. Mixed income housing only works well in cities where there is such a high demand for a certain area that people are willing to live next the poor. That isn't the case in Akron. This city needs all of the money it can get. Mixed income housing will only scare away more young professionals to the suburbs(as if they didn't need help being frightened --lord knows their older co-workers who live in Copley or Mogodore are already telling them horror stories about the city. They don't even have a Wall-Mart super-center downtown! Gasp!).

Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
Yup, that's exactly where I was talking about. The area right around Howard & Cuyahoga Falls Ave definitely looks rough around the edges. There's a large sign spray painted on one of the buildings that says something along the lines of "No drugs!". As you mentioned, it seems to get better as you get closer to Cuyahoga Falls(particularly once you get north of Adelford Ave).

Yeah, dowtown is smaller than the major nearby cities like Cleveland and Pittsburgh. But I've walked through all three CBD's in the past year(Akron, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh) and Akron's downtown is definitely in the best shape(in terms of upkeep, cleanliness, etc). Pound for pound, Akron is has rebounded better than most other rust belt cities, IMO(or perhaps, Akron just never fell quite as far as others).

Yeah, once you get so far from downtown in any direction, things tend to go downhill(actually, they technically go uphill, har har). The one exception might be the area directly to the east of downtown(the university). I'm not sure when you were here last, but that part of the city has improved tremendously.

I totally agree. There are areas on Cleveland's east side that I would just avoid at all costs. I can't think of anywhere in Akron like that. Sure, there are crappy areas where I wouldn't walk around after nightfall, but the urban blight just isn't as rampant.

All good points.

The way I see it, Cleveland is going to have to focus it's energies on revitalizing and maintaining chunks of it's urban core, and simply forget about the "Detroit-eque" sections of town for now. If Cleveland can continue to encourage private investment in it's healthier neighborhoods(Tremont, Ohio City, Edgewater, Lakewood, Detroit-Shoreway, University Circle, Little Italy, downtown etc) it will be okay. With the exception of University Circle, Little Italy, and chunks of Collinwood, most of the East side is done for. I know this will absolutely kill the bleeding hearts to hear, but it's a lost cause. The only people left in much of the east side are in abject poverty, and government help will only make things worse(****, that's what caused the problem in the first place!).

I agree. There isn't much the state can do. Ultimately, the region has to allow for private industry to come back. The University seems to be playing a strong role in bringing Akron into the 21st century.

IMO, Akron needs to do the following:

-Encourage more urbanized development near the central city. The new student apartments at the south end of downtown have done wonders for foot traffic in that area. The more the merrier, as far as I'm concerned.

-Quit trying to sell "mixed income" housing in Northeast Ohio. This is not NYC, Chicago, or San Francisco. Mixed income housing only works well in cities where there is such a high demand for a certain area that people are willing to live next the poor. That isn't the case in Akron. This city needs all of the money it can get. Mixed income housing will only scare away more young professionals to the suburbs(as if they didn't need help being frightened --lord knows their older co-workers who live in Copley or Mogodore are already telling them horror stories about the city. They don't even have a Wall-Mart super-center downtown! Gasp!).
You think the development should occur from downtown outwards. There are a few reasons why mixed use development fails. One is that people who live in that city cannot afford to live in those developments because they are priced out of those neighborhoods. Speaking of WalMart, have you seen the plans on building urban WalMart's in Washington DC? THat is the only type of WalMart I would put in downtown Akron; much of the architecture that has been redeveloped, the Main Library, the Art Musuem, is postmodern, so I think a futuristic, urban, office like WalMart like what they are trying to do in DC could actually work there. Downtown Akron is still without a bourgeious, high end grocery store, if you were to put any other retail down there it needs to be urban, and not suburban, like what would work in Fairlawn or Cuyahoga Falls may not work there.

First thing that comes to mind with mixed use, is that you do not want me there, you want someone from out of town or from the suburbs that can actually afford that to live there.

I have heard a lot about the work being done in and around the University, which is great. But the place is turning into a minature OSU; let someone else develop downtown other than the University. I also saw the Sentara office buildings, and how big some of the hospitals have become, like Akron City. Hospitals and Universities with high rises does not do anything to change downtown, or the surrounding neighborhoods, at the end of the day

The East side of Cleveland will handle itself. Right now it is a money vampire though. That is a situation that you have to allow private industry to develop on its own. It is also a situation, where you may find one good block, but have to drive through 20 bad blocks just to find that jewel in the rough. That is the problem they have in Detroit; 90 percent of the city is underutilized. When both of those cities tear down all of their vacant housing and urban farming takes over those neighorboods and they are nice places to live businesses and people will want to come there. When you have the type of blight that they have in those cities it takes billions of dollars to even remotely turn things around.

The only reason that New York and Chicago have been successful in doing anything about similiar neighborhoods is that the demand to live there is so great that people are willing to live in those neighborhoods just to stay in the town. Akron, Cleveland and Detroit do not have that cache, that type of noteriety. Something huge would have to happen here for that to occur.

Also, keep in mind that despite the gentrification, there are still neighborhoods in New York and Chicago you do not want to walk through during the middle of the day. There are still hundreds of slums in both cities. Most of the gentrification in New York has occured in Brooklyn, and some of the slums of Manhattan, like Harlem. You are still on your own in most of Queens, Bronx, parts of Staten Island. It would take trillions of dollars to restore New York to the condition it was in back in the 20s and 30s, when you could leave your door unlocked, before the housing projects. There isn't enough interest or money floating around to do that. The slums of New York are still larger than all of Cleveland.

I've been to Harlem the last two years to check out their book fair. There are still sketchy parts of the city; everything is cool and everyone is pleasant during the fair but when night falls you are on your own. Too many people believe the hype about New York being the safest large city in America and that they more cops than ever before, and a lot of Midwesterners move out there to live out their dreams. You need to be careful though, the city is more expensive than it ever has been before. People move up there and end up with 5 or more roommates or living in someone's basement trying to make ends meet.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
You think the development should occur from downtown outwards.
For a city Akron's size, I just don't see another way.

Quote:
There are a few reasons why mixed use development fails. One is that people who live in that city cannot afford to live in those developments because they are priced out of those neighborhoods. Speaking of WalMart, have you seen the plans on building urban WalMart's in Washington DC? THat is the only type of WalMart I would put in downtown Akron; much of the architecture that has been redeveloped, the Main Library, the Art Musuem, is postmodern, so I think a futuristic, urban, office like WalMart like what they are trying to do in DC could actually work there.
I just looked up the plans for the DC WalMart. Not bad. But could you imagine if they tried that in Seattle or SF? There would be riots in the streets!

It would be nice if Akron could get something like that downtown. There probably has to be a larger critical mass before the city can entice any kind of grocer to the neighborhood. As it stands now, the closest "grocery store" is Starz market on Exchange. Which is great-- if you plan on picking up a doo rag and a pack of black and milds with your milk. Otherwise, There isn't anything within walking distance.

Quote:
Downtown Akron is still without a bourgeious, high end grocery store, if you were to put any other retail down there it needs to be urban, and not suburban, like what would work in Fairlawn or Cuyahoga Falls may not work there.
Of course. My point was, there's tons of baby boomers who cringe at the thought of living without their big box stores with spacious storefront parking. Lord only knows that these people would view some 26 y/o fresh out of college as crazy for living near downtown. The city should do everything that it can to try and "win" the younger professionals over, before the negativity of their co-workers or colleagues gets to them.

Quote:
First thing that comes to mind with mixed use, is that you do not want me there, you want someone from out of town or from the suburbs that can actually afford that to live there.
I'm just a poor college student. I couldn't afford that stuff either. But I try to view things from the perspective that I will have once I graduate. I'm probably your typical urban minded 20 something.

Quote:
I have heard a lot about the work being done in and around the University, which is great. But the place is turning into a minature OSU; let someone else develop downtown other than the University. I also saw the Sentara office buildings, and how big some of the hospitals have become, like Akron City. Hospitals and Universities with high rises does not do anything to change downtown, or the surrounding neighborhoods, at the end of the day
If it weren't for OSU, I'm not sure Short North, Victorian Village, or Harrison West would be quite as healthy as they are today. Poor college students can take the place of hipsters in a mid-sized Midwestern city.

I agree that the physical developments of the university/hospitals isn't exactly enhancing the surrounding neighborhoods, but the infusion of human life that they bring to the periphery neighborhoods is worth something. Increased foot traffic, increasing numbers of residents, etc. Admittedly, I would like to see some other private groups step in and do something--but I'm not entirely sure that any would. Perhaps that's why only a few organizations seem to be buying everything up.

Quote:
The East side of Cleveland will handle itself. Right now it is a money vampire though. That is a situation that you have to allow private industry to develop on its own. It is also a situation, where you may find one good block, but have to drive through 20 bad blocks just to find that jewel in the rough. That is the problem they have in Detroit; 90 percent of the city is underutilized. When both of those cities tear down all of their vacant housing and urban farming takes over those neighorboods and they are nice places to live businesses and people will want to come there. When you have the type of blight that they have in those cities it takes billions of dollars to even remotely turn things around.
I agree. I hate to see some of those old buildings torn down, but it really is inevitable in most cases. The three steps to succes are as follows--

1. Salvage what you can
2. Demolish
3. Turn into "temporary" park system/urban farming
4. When/if growth comes...infill, infill, infill...

Quote:
The only reason that New York and Chicago have been successful in doing anything about similiar neighborhoods is that the demand to live there is so great that people are willing to live in those neighborhoods just to stay in the town. Akron, Cleveland and Detroit do not have that cache, that type of noteriety. Something huge would have to happen here for that to occur.

Also, keep in mind that despite the gentrification, there are still neighborhoods in New York and Chicago you do not want to walk through during the middle of the day. There are still hundreds of slums in both cities. Most of the gentrification in New York has occured in Brooklyn, and some of the slums of Manhattan, like Harlem. You are still on your own in most of Queens, Bronx, parts of Staten Island. It would take trillions of dollars to restore New York to the condition it was in back in the 20s and 30s, when you could leave your door unlocked, before the housing projects. There isn't enough interest or money floating around to do that. The slums of New York are still larger than all of Cleveland.

I've been to Harlem the last two years to check out their book fair. There are still sketchy parts of the city; everything is cool and everyone is pleasant during the fair but when night falls you are on your own. Too many people believe the hype about New York being the safest large city in America and that they more cops than ever before, and a lot of Midwesterners move out there to live out their dreams. You need to be careful though, the city is more expensive than it ever has been before. People move up there and end up with 5 or more roommates or living in someone's basement trying to make ends meet.
Interesting stuff on NYC. I haven't made it there yet in my travels. The Bronx and Staten Island probably wouldn't make the itinerary for my first trip anyway. So I think I'm safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton