Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2021, 07:04 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
OP, you might should consider one of the many lakes around the Atlanta area. You'll find a more liberal (Cali) environment and much more nightlife / social life opportunities.

The lakes around Atlanta are not plentiful. This explains why so many Atlantans are now buying lake property around Martin, Weiss, and Wedowee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 08:05 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
I would also suggest Guntersville. They have a local brewery with a bar called Main Channel. As has been mentioned, it is close to Huntsville. I don't think anyone mentioned that it is only about 1 1/2 hour drive from Birmingham but that is probably because everyone outside of Birmingham pretty much despises Birmingham and avoids it. Guntersville is also about 1 1/2 hour drive to Chattanooga where there are also a lot of things to see and do along with more restaurants and local beers. Atlanta is roughly a 2 hour and 45 minute drive more or less depending on traffic.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I would also suggest Guntersville. They have a local brewery with a bar called Main Channel. As has been mentioned, it is close to Huntsville. I don't think anyone mentioned that it is only about 1 1/2 hour drive from Birmingham but that is probably because everyone outside of Birmingham pretty much despises Birmingham and avoids it. Guntersville is also about 1 1/2 hour drive to Chattanooga where there are also a lot of things to see and do along with more restaurants and local beers. Atlanta is roughly a 2 hour and 45 minute drive more or less depending on traffic.

Only the idiots and halfwits.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:51 PM

23,597 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Quote:
I LIVED in Atlanta. 2 hours and 45 minutes might get you from one side of the city to the other...

I also lived in B'ham. Your comment about it is ill-informed, as usual.

I will agree that Chat has some fun stuff if you know where to look.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I LIVED in Atlanta. 2 hours and 45 minutes might get you from one side of the city to the other...

I also lived in B'ham. Your comment about it is ill-informed, as usual.

I will agree that Chat has some fun stuff if you know where to look.

I am well aware of how long it takes to get from one side of Atlanta to the other during rush hour as well as outside of rush hour. I have family that lives there and I visit. I drive through there a few times a year and I am in Atlanta in 3 hours from my house consistently. Usually takes me maybe 30 minutes to go through, hit 75 and get on down the road. I am smart enough not to try to go through Atlanta during rush hour while traveling though.

I know, I know, people that live in Birmingham like it. I don't know how my comment was ill-informed though. I don't really know anybody that ever goes to Birmingham. Everyone I know seems to have the same opinion I have and go elsewhere. There really isn't much of a reason for any of us to visit Birmingham. Most of us that have other options, rarely go to Birmingham because much of it is a crime riddled dump. You can't really deny that, the stats show it and it is always high on the FBI crime list. A lot of big cities are too though to be fair but I have no intentions of ever visiting places like Detroit either. The easy way to not become a crime victim in a city where you know there is high crime is simply do not go there. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I simply do not like Birmingham. Never have and most likely never will.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I am well aware of how long it takes to get from one side of Atlanta during rush hour as well as outside of rush hour. I drive through there a few times a year and I am in Atlanta in 3 hours from my house consistently. Usually takes me maybe 30 minutes to go through, hit 75 South and get on down the road. I am smart enough not to try to go through Atlanta during rush hour while traveling though.

I know, I know, people that live in Birmingham like it. Its all good but most of us that have other options, rarely go to Birmingham because much of it is a crime riddled dump. A lot of big cities are too though to be fair but I have no intentions of ever visiting places like Detroit either. The easy way to not become a crime victim in a city where you know there is high crime is simply do not go there. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I simply do not like Birmingham. Never have and most likely never will.

Crime-riddled dump? Pfft. Maybe if you walk around afraid of your own shadow all the time. The crime in Birmingham is mostly confined to gangs shooting one another in turf wars in pretty defined areas.

I'm 58. I've lived within the Birmingham city limits 25 years of that time. For most of that time, that's where my offices were, too. Literally never had the first bit of trouble of any description. When my wife and I became empty nesters, we sold our house in Mountain Brook and moved back down to Southside. Where we stroll to restaurants we like and our church, not to mention drive to a few dozen other places in the city. Baseball games. Parks. Performance venues. Client offices. Retail stores. Nightclubs.

Weird how, in all those years, I've never needed covering fire to make it to my car.

But, hey, enjoy whatever anonymous gated community you call home, calling cops on people who don't look like you and looking forward to your big weekend out with the missus at Applebees.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 04-27-2021 at 07:17 AM..

Old 04-27-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Crime-riddled dump? Pfft. Maybe if you walk around afraid of your own shadow all the time. The crime in Birmingham is mostly confined to gangs shooting one another in turf wars in pretty defined areas.

I'm 58. I've lived within the Birmingham city limits 25 years of that time. For most of that time, that's where my offices were, too. Literally never had the first bit of trouble of any description. When my wife and I became empty nesters, we sold our house in Mountain Brook and moved back down to Southside. Where we stroll to restaurants we like and our church, not to mention drive to a few dozen other places in the city. Baseball games. Parks. Performance venues. Client offices. Retail stores. Nightclubs.

Weird how, in all those years, I've never needed covering fire to make it to my car.

But, hey, enjoy whatever anonymous gated community you call home, calling cops on people who don't look like you and looking forward to your big weekend out with the missus at Applebees.

Oh good grief, minibusdriver has his panties in a wad again. I'm not afaid of anything but thanks for pointing out the gang violence. There is a reason why Birmingham is always high up in the violent crime statistics. I have traveled all over the country and all over Europe. Birmingham, Alabama is the only place I have ever personally witnessed a mugging. It was outside of a very popular night club with police officers working security and they shrugged their shoulders and said it happens all the time. They didn't even call it in, give pursuit or anything......just stood there and shrugged their shoulders. Maybe it has improved over the past 10 years. I don't know, don't care, all I know is you won't catch me around there. Maybe it is one of those where I am still stuck on an old reputation of Birmingham.

My big night out at "Applebees?" lol Wow are you off base on that one. I haven't been in an Applebees or any of the other comparable chain restaurants in so long I don't even remember when. I have probably been in Applebees maybe twice in my life and that was because it was someone else's idea.

Old 04-27-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Oh good grief, minibusdriver has his panties in a wad again. I'm not afaid of anything but thanks for pointing out the gang violence. There is a reason why Birmingham is always high up in the violent crime statistics. I have traveled all over the country and all over Europe. Birmingham, Alabama is the only place I have ever personally witnessed a mugging. It was outside of a very popular night club with police officers working security and they shrugged their shoulders and said it happens all the time. They didn't even call it in, give pursuit or anything......just stood there and shrugged their shoulders. Maybe it has improved over the past 10 years. I don't know, don't care, all I know is you won't catch me around there. Maybe it is one of those where I am still stuck on an old reputation of Birmingham.

My big night out at "Applebees?" lol Wow are you off base on that one. I haven't been in an Applebees or any of the other comparable chain restaurants in so long I don't even remember when. I have probably been in Applebees maybe twice in my life and that was because it was someone else's idea.

Panties in a wad. Heh. What? You thought you could say something as stupid as "crime riddled dump" and get away with it? Let's talk about whatever craptacular place you call home and see what you say.

Panties in a wad. As if. I'm just pointing out how fatuous your comment is.

Okay, now onto your dining options. Maybe it's not Applebee's. Maybe it's Joe's Barbecue Pit, Al's Country Diner, Mel's Meat and Three. It doesn't matter. All I know is that Birmingham has dozens of better restaurants than whatever wide spot in the road you call home.

Your 'anecdote' about that mugging just isn't convincing, sorry. Go on and gin up another one whole cloth to fit your premise while you're at it.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 04-27-2021 at 02:30 PM..

Old 04-28-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Panties in a wad. Heh. What? You thought you could say something as stupid as "crime riddled dump" and get away with it? Let's talk about whatever craptacular place you call home and see what you say.

Panties in a wad. As if. I'm just pointing out how fatuous your comment is.

Okay, now onto your dining options. Maybe it's not Applebee's. Maybe it's Joe's Barbecue Pit, Al's Country Diner, Mel's Meat and Three. It doesn't matter. All I know is that Birmingham has dozens of better restaurants than whatever wide spot in the road you call home.

Your 'anecdote' about that mugging just isn't convincing, sorry. Go on and gin up another one whole cloth to fit your premise while you're at it.

You crack me up. In your mind, I am some uneducated redneck living a trailer park apparently. lol Way.....way.....way off base. I am talking you are guessing on the wrong end of the income scale and lifestyle by about 97%.

People talk about where I live all the time as well as where you live. We live in the State of Alabama for crying out loud. The entire country outside of the South, thinks we are all a bunch of banjo playing hicks. It is sort of funny really.

Myself and my friends were there and all witnessed the mugging in the parking lot downtown Birmingham. Don't care whether you believe it or not. Don't care if it hurts your feelings or not to hear it.

Nobody here can have a different opinion than you minibusdriver. If you don't like what someone else has to say, they are all idiots, morons, inept or whatever else you can think of that particular day. I would bet money that you are the guy that comes in a room and people almost immediately start coming up with reasons to go somewhere.....anywhere else. It is because you are an a$$hole in case nobody has ever told you.

Old 04-28-2021, 01:27 PM

Quote:
You crack me up. In your mind, I am some uneducated redneck living a trailer park apparently. lol Way.....way.....way off base. I am talking you are guessing on the wrong end of the income scale and lifestyle by about 97%.

People talk about where I live all the time as well as where you live. We live in the State of Alabama for crying out loud. The entire country outside of the South, thinks we are all a bunch of banjo playing hicks. It is sort of funny really.

Myself and my friends were there and all witnessed the mugging in the parking lot downtown Birmingham. Don't care whether you believe it or not. Don't care if it hurts your feelings or not to hear it.

Nobody here can have a different opinion than you minibusdriver. If you don't like what someone else has to say, they are all idiots, morons, inept or whatever else you can think of that particular day. I would bet money that you are the guy that comes in a room and people almost immediately start coming up with reasons to go somewhere.....anywhere else. It is because you are an a$$hole in case nobody has ever told you.

It's quite possible to be educated and ignorant at the very same time. And I pretty much only use those characterizations for you chiefly because you have a habit of saying such idiotic things. You accuse me of being an a$$hole when you're the one who likes to strut around saying a$$hole things. Holy smokes, you lack self-awareness.

And if I've learned anything in life, the minute anyone starts talking about how much money he earns, it means he's having to dip into his well of bullsh*t. People who actually have it don't feel the need to talk about it.

I think it's kind of hilarious that you think you can pronounce Birmingham is a "crime riddled dump" like it's some kind of mic drop, like it's the final word or something. Then you spout some phony-baloney story about witnessing a mugging. You drag in your imaginary friends as backup as if that actually adds credence to your saga.

Then as your little kumbaya moment, you say "Hey, we're all in the same boat." Maybe, but I don't take lazy, gratuitous swipes at Huntsville or Guntersville or Madison or wherever you call home in a race to the bottom. Okay, I'll make an exception for Montgomery.

Speaking of friends, I have plenty of those, thanks. Now run along and whip up some new fakery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama