Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 07:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times

Advertisements

Retiring in CA in about three years and want to move to the south-east. Been doing a lot of research on potential places for relocation and would like anyone's take on Fort Payne as a community in which to land.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2006, 09:10 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
There are some threads here that already discuss the Ft Payne area in some detail. Take a spring or fall vacation at DeSoto State Park and you'll probably fall in love with the area.

Pay close attention to the posts that mention religion, football, NASCAR, and school. A lot of the activities in the southeast revolve around these aspects of life.

Old 12-15-2006, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the reply. After I posted I searched for Fort Payne and did come up with some threads.

I've lived in the south-east a number if times in the past so the culture is not unfamiliar to me. I'm well aware that a California Catholic who doesn't care about NASCAR might take some time to assimilate.

Schools aren't an issue. This would be a retirement move and all our children are grown and on their own. It's our quality of life we're looking at, not theirs. They're fine.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:27 AM

14 posts, read 48,875 times
First, if you can afford to live in Cal. you can live like a king in Desoto county. (Ft. Payne). You will find a larger spanish population here than you would expect. They work hard just like everyone else. The people are very frendly and polite, you should be too they expect it. They wont "drag" you to church in every conversation. Although Christian values do rule the day and life here. For some folks, they have seen to many movies and have an imprint of "Alabama" in there head. That place does not exsist. The only thing that will get you more enemies in the south is to talk loud about how great and wounderful thing are back where you came from, and express that it should be that way hear too. Southerners will get in line to tell you, that you should head back right away, and might help you on the spot. We are REALLY tired of hearing about it.

North East Alabama has much less crime than most places around the country. (there's those Christian values again). But I,m not going to tell you that crime does not happen, you should not have a false scense of security. It can happen any time, anywhere.

All in all, it's a good place to live. But, YOU will have to adapt to a slower and calmer lifestyle. If it's scenery you want, Guntersville is, I think, the nicest looking area around. It is more expensive for realestate but worth it.

P.S. If you like a drink now and then, better bring a few cases with you. You will finish them looking for a place to buy it in most of the state. Many like it that way.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:57 AM

50 posts, read 245,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymanta View Post
First, if you can afford to live in Cal. you can live like a king in Desoto county. (Ft. Payne). You will find a larger spanish population here than you would expect. They work hard just like everyone else. The people are very frendly and polite, you should be too they expect it. They wont "drag" you to church in every conversation. Although Christian values do rule the day and life here. For some folks, they have seen to many movies and have an imprint of "Alabama" in there head. That place does not exsist. The only thing that will get you more enemies in the south is to talk loud about how great and wounderful thing are back where you came from, and express that it should be that way hear too. Southerners will get in line to tell you, that you should head back right away, and might help you on the spot. We are REALLY tired of hearing about it.

North East Alabama has much less crime than most places around the country. (there's those Christian values again). But I,m not going to tell you that crime does not happen, you should not have a false scense of security. It can happen any time, anywhere.

All in all, it's a good place to live. But, YOU will have to adapt to a slower and calmer lifestyle. If it's scenery you want, Guntersville is, I think, the nicest looking area around. It is more expensive for realestate but worth it.

P.S. If you like a drink now and then, better bring a few cases with you. You will finish them looking for a place to buy it in most of the state. Many like it that way.

Um, that would be Dekalb County, not Desoto County.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:56 AM

14 posts, read 48,875 times
Your right. Its a typo. Had friends in Florida on my mind.

Old 01-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymanta View Post
The only thing that will get you more enemies in the south is to talk loud about how great and wounderful thing are back where you came from, and express that it should be that way hear too. Southerners will get in line to tell you, that you should head back right away, and might help you on the spot. We are REALLY tired of hearing about it.
That wn't be a problem. There's a reason we're leaving California and as far as I'm concerned, happiness will be that state in the rear-view mirror.

I lived in Alabama in the late 40s when my father was stationed in what was then Montgomery Field. I've also lived twice each in North Carolina and Virginia, Kentucky, and Georgia and my wife has lived in Arkansas and Florida. We miss the slower pace of life, the "southern hospitality", four distinct seasons (humidity notwithstanding) and will decidedly enjoy the lower cost of living.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:43 PM

3,259 posts, read 3,767,961 times
if you are into the outdoors and nature, fort payne is a great area to retire to.

my parents are into more warmer weather (but still like the seasons), and the beach, and of course a lower cost of living. that's why they have decided to retire to Foley, Alabama. It might be of interest to you; I dunno...

Old 01-07-2007, 01:05 AM

73 posts, read 434,092 times
You got to like country music to live up there in Ft payne, that the home of the super group " ALABAMA"

Old 01-15-2007, 12:55 PM

31 posts, read 174,050 times
Default why Fort Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Retiring in CA in about three years and want to move to the south-east. Been doing a lot of research on potential places for relocation and would like anyone's take on Fort Payne as a community in which to land.

Thanks!
My husbands family is from fort payne,we go visit but not to live. It's to quiet, country. Why don't you move to huntsville? Fort Payne is beautiful I just think you might find it boring unless your moving their with a family and a husband but if your single forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama