Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2012, 02:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,680 times

Advertisements

I am going to study at UAlbany SUNY. Any recommendation for housing nearby the campus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 07:43 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Here's a great guide that may help: MapsKrieg - Albany, NY - Apartments, Rooms, Sublets, and Real Estate for Sale

and here's another apartment guide: Renters Guide - Albany Apartments in New York and Albany, NY Apartment Complexes

Old 03-12-2012, 05:12 PM

12 posts, read 17,895 times
Stay away from the student ghetto, ontario streets area its cheap but you get randomly beat up and your car damaged for no reason but drunk students. Even Arbor hill is easier on residents then the student ghetto. Near the main campus past Albany High is better but more expensive. Lots of foreign students in and around winthrop and nearby streets.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,680 times
thanks all! any idea about public transport in town? my school will be at east campus.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:12 PM

29 posts, read 60,454 times
I agree with roven4life. The student ghetto (Ontario, Hudson) is a nasty area to live in unless your a partier or something... Pretty dirty place lol. If your looking to live off campus I would move to the dt area, maybe get a sweet loft... however the downside is not having access to the route 11 bus which starts around the student ghetto and goes to campus. That bus runs back n forth until 2am. Getting around albany with public transportation is pretty good, any bus route is free with your student I.d. card. They also have bike racks like most buses. Should be fine without a car,even if you want to go to surrounding cities like troy, schentady, cahoes.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Old 03-27-2012, 02:25 PM

29 posts, read 60,454 times
Oh and getting around taxis are usually inexpensive if head in to campus, but also chaotic. The few times I called a taxi leaving the student ghetto, its 3 bucks a head but they pack the vans completely full with other people..like no jokes its rediculous. I've experienced some craziness while taking taxis, from the taxi driver driving in the opposite lane to try to pick more customers to the taxi driver providing dutches to role a blunt for some drunk in the front seat...ah good OK Albany...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Old 03-28-2012, 07:54 PM

334 posts, read 851,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracekorompis View Post
thanks all! any idea about public transport in town? my school will be at east campus.
Is the East Campus where the School of Public Health is? If so, that's on the other side of the Hudson River and a fair distance from the rest of campus, both Uptown and Downtown campuses. There really isn't student housing near there, but there are rentals. I don't know what CDTA bus lines serve it - it is in a more suburban location than the rest of campus. There are SUNY buses that go between the campuses. You will need to think about which side of the river you want to live on, trading convenience to campus to convenience to everything else.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:39 PM

12 posts, read 17,895 times
That side of the hudson is Rensselaer. Only one bus goes that way and then its pain in the ass to get there. but suny runs a bus itself so you have to check with them. Rensselaer isn't that bad for crime compared to the student ghetto. Finding a one bedroom cheaper then albany will be easier. But access to grocery stores are not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area