Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 07:54 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg2020 View Post
Why most builders are building new community house in halfmoon and clifton park ?
Saratoga County has been one of or is the fastest growing county in the state outside of the NYC metro area. So, that plays a part in the construction in the southern portion of that county.

In fact, this is from another thread in the Albany forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/alba...-halfmoon.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 10:27 PM

177 posts, read 120,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Saratoga County has been one of or is the fastest growing county in the state outside of the NYC metro area. So, that plays a part in the construction in the southern portion of that county.
Well, I remember when Orange County, NY was the fastest growing county.

Now, you would not want to live there 20-25 years later.

Fastest growing to me, anyway, "can be" a negative connotation. That's why I didn't move to Seattle or Austin or Portland or Houston, when everyone else was doing that, either.

Not pro or con, just pointing out my observations.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:09 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Downtown Saratoga houses, condos and townhouses are ridiculously high. Many wealthy people moved up here when the pandemic hit. Houses are selling within days, even those that are knock-downs. Outside Saratoga (Schuylerville, Quaker Springs, etc.) farmland is being sold and homes built.

Yesterday I drove to Ballston Spa and Thompson Farm (Malta)(1959) is now a massive cleared land so am assuming another new development. Hugh building of homes, companies, etc. are being built in Malta.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:54 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,035,099 times
I love Saratoga County and the surrounding area. But just like many other small country regions that begin to grow into larger municipalities, the Saratoga region is seeing an uptick in crime and unrest. Recent weeks are an indication of that.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I love Saratoga County and the surrounding area. But just like many other small country regions that begin to grow into larger municipalities, the Saratoga region is seeing an uptick in crime and unrest. Recent weeks are an indication of that.
What has happened in Saratoga County in terms of crime and unrest?

Old 07-16-2021, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavedwithgold View Post
Well, I remember when Orange County, NY was the fastest growing county.

Now, you would not want to live there 20-25 years later.

Fastest growing to me, anyway, "can be" a negative connotation. That's why I didn't move to Seattle or Austin or Portland or Houston, when everyone else was doing that, either.

Not pro or con, just pointing out my observations.
Yes, there are pros and cons to growth. I think what is good about Saratoga County's growth is that it is good, but still below national percentage growth(4.7% versus 6.3% nationally according to 2010-2019 census estimates). https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045219 So, it isn't growing too fast.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
What has happened in Saratoga County in terms of crime and unrest?
They've had 2 seperate incidents of large fights breaking out in the last 4 weeks. One involved a large number of bar goers that spilled out onto the street into a huge brawl. The other fight was also fairly large in size; it was gang related and involved shots fired. I don't know the extent of injuries. There have also been a lot of protests that up until this week, have been peaceful. About 15 people were arrested yesterday for blocking traffic. It's the height of tourist season - gang fights & protests that block traffic should be a concern to all who live, work, and play in Saratoga. The BLM organizers have vowed to not let up.

Last edited by bridgerider; 07-16-2021 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-16-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
They've had 2 seperate incidents of large fights breaking out in the last 4 weeks. One involved a large number of bar goers that spilled out onto the street into a huge brawl. The other fight was also fairly large in size; it was gang related and involved shots fired. I don't know the extent of injuries. There have also been a lot of protests that up until this week, have been peaceful. About 15 people were arrested yesterday for blocking traffic. It's the height of tourist season - gang fights & protests that block traffic should be a concern to all who live, work, and play in Saratoga. The BLM organizers have vowed to not let up.
Interesting...Do you know if they are actually BLM related or are these involving others that may have moved to the area/locals? After looking at a segment, this appears to be a rare for Saratoga Springs nightclub incident. https://www.news10.com/video/saratog...oting/4092194/
https://dailygazette.com/2021/06/28/...d-to-stabbing/

Hopefully, that will be the extent of it.

To get back on topic, most of the growth in Saratoga County is likely job related with Global Foundries expanding and as mentioned earlier, towns like Malta, Clifton Park, Halfmoon, etc. is where much of the growth is taking place.

Old 07-16-2021, 11:37 AM

Only one that I know is BLM-related was the protest.

Old 07-16-2021, 01:29 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,659,735 times
Quote:
Interesting...Do you know if they are actually BLM related or are these involving others that may have moved to the area/locals? After looking at a segment, this appears to be a rare for Saratoga Springs nightclub incident. https://www.news10.com/video/saratog...oting/4092194/
https://dailygazette.com/2021/06/28/...d-to-stabbing/

Hopefully, that will be the extent of it.

To get back on topic, most of the growth in Saratoga County is likely job related with Global Foundries expanding and as mentioned earlier, towns like Malta, Clifton Park, Halfmoon, etc. is where much of the growth is taking place.
Protests by BLM:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/five-arre...194700508.html

Intel interested in buying Global Foundries
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/inte...wsj-2021-07-15
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area