Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2021, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,360 times

Advertisements

Hi All -- Forgive me if something similar has been addresses elsewhere, but I was hoping for some advice. My husband is exploring a job in Schenectady that I think he will be hard-pressed o refuse if he gets the offer. We are both from Pennsylvania and and have been pondering a move back to the Northeast for a while (we've been in the Bay Area for 15 years) and I'd never really considered upstate New York, but I think it could work -- and he started his career around NY (Binghamton, etc.) many moons ago, so he's familiar with the region.

Anyway, for what I do, I'm almost certain that I'll be needing to work in Albany. If this happens, we're gravitating toward a more rural (or rural feeling) location to live, maybe with a couple of acres and (ideally) on a lake. Where is a location that would be convenient to Schenectady/East Glenville and Albany? Everything I'm seeing that's appealing is kind of to the north or west. Any input would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 04:50 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsnyder View Post
Hi All -- Forgive me if something similar has been addresses elsewhere, but I was hoping for some advice. My husband is exploring a job in Schenectady that I think he will be hard-pressed o refuse if he gets the offer. We are both from Pennsylvania and and have been pondering a move back to the Northeast for a while (we've been in the Bay Area for 15 years) and I'd never really considered upstate New York, but I think it could work -- and he started his career around NY (Binghamton, etc.) many moons ago, so he's familiar with the region.

Anyway, for what I do, I'm almost certain that I'll be needing to work in Albany. If this happens, we're gravitating toward a more rural (or rural feeling) location to live, maybe with a couple of acres and (ideally) on a lake. Where is a location that would be convenient to Schenectady/East Glenville and Albany? Everything I'm seeing that's appealing is kind of to the north or west. Any input would be appreciated!
I'm thinking of the Ballston Lake area in Saratoga County. Hopefully someone else will chime in with more specific information, but that popped in my head right away due to close proximity to those areas. Good school district, if that is a factor(Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake SD).

Old 08-30-2021, 05:45 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
Yeah Ballston Lake area is probably your best bet. Do school districts matter? Are you looking to rent or buy?

Old 08-31-2021, 05:14 PM

Looking to buy, most likely. Would love to be in Saratoga Springs, but it seems so much pricier than the surrounding area. True? No kids, so schools don't matter.

Old 09-01-2021, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Looking to buy, most likely. Would love to be in Saratoga Springs, but it seems so much pricier than the surrounding area. True? No kids, so schools don't matter.
What is your budget? That would help determine where to look in the area.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:25 AM

Under $500K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is your budget? That would help determine where to look in the area.

Old 09-02-2021, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Under $500K.
Ok…You should find something even in Saratoga Springs, but it may come down to the type of home you are looking for. Same for the rest of the county. In and around Ballston Spa would be another area of the county to look into. Perhaps Schuylerville and Stillwater as well.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...,-73.773661,12

Old 09-03-2021, 04:37 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,661,006 times
Quote:
Malta, Half Moon, Schuylerville.

Old 09-03-2021, 06:36 PM

602 posts, read 313,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsky View Post
NY is huge. I'd take an extended stay hotel, dutchess county is amazing, I wish I lived there..
What makes dutchess county amazing to you? ( a serious question as I've never been there )
Thanks .

Old 09-07-2021, 01:19 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
It sounds like if OP is working in Albany (most likely) and the husband is working in Schenectady, school districts aren't a factor, and a $500K housing budget...you could literally live wherever you wanted. The entire Capital Region is full of rural areas to choose from. I would probably try and stick to Saratoga County if I were you, simply due to a lower property tax burden. Schenectady County has the highest taxes in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area