Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 11:59 PM

339 posts, read 933,919 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I just had a good job interview for a job in Schenectady on Balltown Rd and want to start looking at apartments. I only had a chance to look at one apartment complex, Sheridan Village.

Was looking on craigslist for apartment possibilities and was wondering if anyone can tell me if these are considered "decent" neighborhoods to rent an apartment:

8th Ave
Hawk St.
Porter Ave.
Mount Pleasant area
Van Antwerp Rd.

Appreciate any thoughts and advice....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,610 times
Van Antwerp Rd. is safe. Parts of Mount Pleasant are safe; parts are scummy but I wouldn't say "unsafe"; & the very edge of the Mount Pleasant neighborhood gets scary. Hawk & Porter - sorry, I don't know. 8th Ave I would stay away from.

Are you looking to stay in Schenectady due to cost or due to proximity to your job? Because Niskayuna, parts of Rexford off 146, & parts of South Colonie are all better options than Schenectady. Very sad to say that. Schenectady has got some beautiful architecture & quaint neighborhoods; esp. off Union Street & in the Stockade area. But the city just can't seem to get it's act together. I wanted to invest & start a business there, but the crime rate is horrible & the good cops are being lumped with the past corrupt cops' reputaion. I think Schenectady will one day pull out of the slump, but I don't think it will be within the next 10 years.

The problem with renting in Schenectady is that, while you get a LOT of space for the money, you can't walk 2 blocks in any direction without worry. There are some good areas like I said, but I'd check out places like Rotterdam, Guilderland, Rexford, Niskayuna & South Colonie. Parts of all those communities are very easy commute to Balltown Rd.

On a side note, the Gold's Gym on Balltown Rd. is one of the nicest gyms around. It used to be privately owned & most of the same staff is still there. A very friendly gym, not pretentious (sp?), & you'd probably get a lot of good leads on apartments if you stopped in the gym for a tour & asked about apartments. I'm not trying to sell Gold's - they get enough of my money as it is! I just think you'd get some great advice there about where to live. Most are Schen natives &/or live in the above communities.

Best of luck to you!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:27 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,955,610 times
Oh and I should also mention parts of Scotia & Glenville are close to Balltown & very nice, safe, affordable....

Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 AM

18 posts, read 153,640 times
Van Antwerp seems safe. I wouldn't live in Schenectady itself. Finding an apartment in a decent area around Schenectady in general is just very hard. I just spent a month doing it, but luckily went back to Syracuse/Rochester and didn't have to after all.

Van Antwerp apartments look alright, but I've never seen the inside. I honestly don't think there is a "decent" neighborhood in Schenectady aside from the upper part of Union Street/the closer you get to the rose garden + park.

Tall Oaks apartments are very close by off route 7 in Niskayuna, but I never looked into those too deeply so I wouldn't know what the complex is like, really. Seems like a fairly safe area though.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,416 times
Thumbs up Real Estate broker in the area

I am a Real Estate broker in the area and own many rentals . I don't own any in Schenectady for a reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
Hello all. I just had a good job interview for a job in Schenectady on Balltown Rd and want to start looking at apartments. I only had a chance to look at one apartment complex, Sheridan Village.

Was looking on craigslist for apartment possibilities and was wondering if anyone can tell me if these are considered "decent" neighborhoods to rent an apartment:

8th Ave
Hawk St.
Porter Ave.
Mount Pleasant area
Van Antwerp Rd.

Appreciate any thoughts and advice....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area