Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:56 AM

47 posts, read 116,811 times

Advertisements

So once a week or so I'll see some shady looking (or sometimes nice) car abandoned on the side of I-25 in the morning.

Is there a story behind these? Do people run out of gas and not have the money to pay for it? Are these stolen cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,186,131 times
For I-25 in particular (the stretch between Tramway & Santa Fe) many of these seem to be alcohol- or sleep-related. The driver realizes he's totally smashed, pulls off, takes a nap or gets a buddy to pick him up.

Many of these are out-of-gas or more often breakdowns, where the driver can't afford or doesn't act quickly to get the vehicle towed to safety. So many of these cars are such beaters that even the tow isn't worth it in their estimation.

In some localities the driver may get pulled over and arrested while the car remains behind, though I'm not sure how often the arresting officer lets the vehicle remain behind without dispatching a tow.

The only reason I believe a lot of it is alcohol- or sleep-related is the relative frequency of these cars on weekends or monday mornings.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:40 AM

366 posts, read 1,248,093 times
Some may also be stolen. A guy at my work started his car to let it warm up this winter. Someone got in and drove off with it. The cops found it a week later out of gas on the side of the road.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:31 AM
N8!

2,408 posts, read 5,307,624 times
Cruised up I 25 to SFe yesterday about noon. Counted 7 cars on the side of the road going up, and 6 coming back. Wierd, never paid any attention to them before this thread. But you are right.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:41 PM

47 posts, read 116,811 times
Wow, I never realized there were so many up north. I'm only on the highway south of Paseo.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:02 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,629,353 times
It's possible that some of those instances yesterday were people leaving their cars behind to make the pilgrimage to Chimayo. I drove there the whole way last year and I saw quite a lot of people pulling off to the side of the road and getting out of their cars to finish the rest of the trek on foot. This became more and more prevalent the closer you got to Chimayo, but I did witness it between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:14 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,540,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
It's possible that some of those instances yesterday were people leaving their cars behind to make the pilgrimage to Chimayo. I drove there the whole way last year and I saw quite a lot of people pulling off to the side of the road and getting out of their cars to finish the rest of the trek on foot. This became more and more prevalent the closer you got to Chimayo, but I did witness it between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.
I haven't lived in New Mexico for years and the very first thing I thought of was the pilgrimage!! I miss seeing that.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Once, many years ago, that was my car. Don't hold it against me. :-)

I had to wait a couple of days for a paycheck to buy gas.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,629,353 times
Channel 4 yesterday had a story about high gas prices and it being the cause of some abandoned cars lately. Basically, it said some people aren't able to keep their gas tanks filled to a decent level due to the cost of gas. They interviewed people who said they're having to chance it and only put what they can in gas whenever the low fuel light goes on.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM

713 posts, read 1,846,366 times
I drove to ABQ and back yesterday and only saw a couple, one of them a brand new pickup. It is probably a gas thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque