Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 02:56 PM

1,993 posts, read 4,082,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQalex View Post
The Grito de la independencia takes place at midnight on the Zocalo in Mexico City. The main festivities lead up to that event and today is a day of reflection and there is a patriotic parade on the Zocalo. It's like how New Year's Eve and the countdown to midnight is more of an event than actual New Year's Day, which is the actual day off and the day with football and parades, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cry_of_Dolores
Yes! In a completely different country. About the same distance from Albuquerque as the Canadian border.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:59 PM

16,248 posts, read 10,958,991 times
Nuevo Mexico, dating to the 16th century, refers to the Aztec Empire (Mexica), not the country of Mexico that dates to the 1820s. As people say, it's not new and it's not Mexican.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:11 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,647,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
Yes! In a completely different country. About the same distance from Albuquerque as the Canadian border.
If there were 659,000 people of Candian descent in New Mexico I assume many would be celebrating Canada Day and tuning into whatever televised festivities go along with it as well, whether from Ottawa or Toronto.

BTW, the Empire State Building was lighted red, white and green last night in honor of Mexico's day of Independence.

https://scontent-iad3-1.cdninstagram...om&_nc_cat=108

New York City has a surging Mexican immigrant population, especially from Puebla and the Distrito Federal.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:37 PM

54 posts, read 129,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Almost no one would dispute that. But the problem is, when you allow millions of people to come here illegally (and talk about them as if they're in the same category as legal immigrants), it's unfair to both native born citizens and those who came here legally. It inevitably creates conflict and resentment.
The US has a long history of people coming here for a better life, sometimes illegally, and not from south of our border:

https://www.history.com/news/the-bir...al-immigration
https://www.americanimmigrationcouncil.org/research/did-my-family-really-come-legally-todays-immigration-laws-created-a-new-reality

Old 09-16-2019, 03:43 PM

192 posts, read 259,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
It is free speech which we defend as Americans. I see it as simply a reaction to the far more disgusting rhetoric from the POTUS's mouth.
If you don't like the president then by all means voice your displeasure, create signs, stage rallies, or simply don't vote for him. That is what this country is all about.

Waiving a flag from another country is a slap in the face too all of the people who have sacrificed their lives fighting for this great country that we live in. Fighting for the rights that we all now enjoy. If people are so proud of a different country that they feel the need to **** on the flag of the United States then by all means they should go back to that country they are so proud of.

Signed,
Proud American

Old 09-16-2019, 05:51 PM

5,101 posts, read 7,523,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR73 View Post
Waiving a flag from another country is a slap in the face too all of the people who have sacrificed their lives fighting for this great country that we live in. Fighting for the rights that we all now enjoy. If people are so proud of a different country that they feel the need to **** on the flag of the United States then by all means they should go back to that country they are so proud of.

Signed,
Proud American
I'm as proud an American as you, my father, uncles, and grandfather all served in wars defending this country, but I don't see waving another country's flag as doing anything against our country's flag. We have people from many nations here, they all can wave their flags from time to time, and that's their right. There is a Scottish Highland Games coming up in Rio Rancho where the Scottish flag will be waving as it should.

New Mexico and Mexico have close ties, we have lots of Mexican citizens here legally, working and studying, they supply a huge proportion of the manpower in this country, we have a lot of trade going back and forth between NM and Mexico. Albuquerque has two sister cities in Mexico (Chihuahua and Guadalajara), we celebrate Mexican culture in many ways (I used to play in a couple of Mariachi groups and I'm pure Anglo), Día del los Muertos has become its own institution here, and I'm glad Mexicans are here providing much needed services. We are indebted to them. I've traveled extensively in Mexico and studied abroad there, was treated with amazing hospitality and friendship, and I believe Mexicans here should be treated the same. If they want to show pride in their country by waving a flag now and then I'm all for it. Good for them! I encourage it. It's part of the cultural diversity of our nation and should be celebrated. We look weak when we become intolerant of other people. What are you afraid of?

Old 09-16-2019, 07:09 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,387,955 times
While people are arguing over who is more American, here is the link to the event.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7vcwLrwgDQ

Old 09-17-2019, 08:11 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,082,271 times
Traffic wasn't too bad this morning.

Last edited by NMHacker; 09-17-2019 at 09:38 AM..

Old 09-17-2019, 11:51 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,387,955 times
What struck me was how many young people I saw in pictures and random shots of the scene. Anyone here has a first hand report?

Old 09-17-2019, 12:13 PM

2 posts, read 1,600 times
While we are discussing President Trump's visit, I have a question about his choice of hotels.

Why did he choose to stay at the Hyatt Regency, as opposed to the Hotel Andaluz? I have never visited Albuquerque, so I am not fully informed, but I was under the impression that the Hotel Andaluz was the classy place to stay in Albuquerque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque