Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 05:16 PM
JKA JKA started this thread

14 posts, read 34,873 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for a place to retire. I am 77 she is 65. Drop dead requirements are NO Disasters - tornadoes, floods, wildfires, power company outages to minimize wildfires, hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, Our major physical activity is walking our 2 15lb dachshunds. We have no special cultural or educational requirements.

We want a "good climate" not a lot of days (whatever that is) above 90 or 100, no ice storms that put ice on the road for 3 or more days at a time, no snow on the ground more than 3 or 4 days at a time. Does it snow in any of these cities? Other things being roughly equal we would prefer the coolest of Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Los Vegas NV.Do most places offer AC? We have used Swamp Coolers and find them inadequate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 06:40 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,968,531 times
I think Albuquerque (and certainly Las Vegas) would meet your snow requirements. Santa Fe gets more snow than Albuquerque, but I'm honestly not sure how long it typically stays around. Santa Fe has the coolest temperatures of the three, but it might not work when it comes to the snow requirements.

There is a mixture of swamp coolers and refrigerated air (familiar A/C) here. I have been able to find apartments with refrigerated air, without any trouble, but some rentals will have swamp coolers.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:51 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,495,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKA View Post
My wife and I are looking for a place to retire. I am 77 she is 65. Drop dead requirements are NO Disasters - tornadoes, floods, wildfires, power company outages to minimize wildfires, hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, Our major physical activity is walking our 2 15lb dachshunds. We have no special cultural or educational requirements.

We want a "good climate" not a lot of days (whatever that is) above 90 or 100, no ice storms that put ice on the road for 3 or more days at a time, no snow on the ground more than 3 or 4 days at a time. Does it snow in any of these cities? Other things being roughly equal we would prefer the coolest of Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Los Vegas NV.Do most places offer AC? We have used Swamp Coolers and find them inadequate.
I would imagine that Las Vegas,NV has quite a few days in the 90's and 100's.Best of Luck to you,OP.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:55 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,017,591 times
Quote:
We want a "good climate" not a lot of days (whatever that is) above 90 or 100, no ice storms that put ice on the road for 3 or more days at a time, no snow on the ground more than 3 or 4 days at a time. Does it snow in any of these cities? Other things being roughly equal we would prefer the coolest of Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Los Vegas NV.Do most places offer AC?
What areas of NM have a mild climate, not too hot, not too cold? https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...climate-2.html

Does Santa Fe Really have the best climate https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...have-best.html

What elevation do you live at? How is the climate? https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...-live-how.html

Old 01-23-2020, 08:28 PM

102,438 posts, read 108,851,375 times
IMO Santa Fe would be the mildest. Lots of cultural goings-on. The last few years, the rare snowfall has only been 2 inches max, no ice issues, but this year, we just had some snow that quickly turned into half-frozen slush, that was dicey to drive in. Only lasted a half-day, though. Winters here are milder than they used to be. Last January there were a couple of days of snow, but driving wasn't bad at all.

So the question is: do you want to put up with the excessive heat of Albuquerque, in order to avoid snow as much as possible in the winter, or do you want the somewhat cooler temps of Santa Fe's summers, with a little more snow (or not, depending on the year) in Santa Fe's winter? It's a trade-off; you pick.

I'll tell you one thing; as a smaller town, Santa Fe is much easier to drive in than ABQ. I've really come to enjoy small-town living in Santa Fe.

Old 01-23-2020, 10:01 PM

16,248 posts, read 10,962,558 times
Quote:

I would point you to Rio Rancho, a suburb on the NW corner of Albuquerque west of the Rio Grande (3rd largest city in NM). There are a number of retirees here already. There are two hospitals and sufficient services. It meets your disaster and weather requirements and is fine for dog walking. The temperature might hit 100 a couple days in summer but the humidity would be near single digits. I have not had to shovel snow in the six years I have been here. I have a swamp cooler and I'm happy with it but some newer developments have AC as do many custom homes. Humidity is very low but might come up during "monsoon" season in August. It is close enough to Albuquerque to take advantage of cultural events, minor league baseball, soccer, airport, Amtrak, etc.

Santa Fe, at over 7,000 ft. has more snow and might be 10-15 degrees cooler than ABQ, generally. It has a lot of museums and galleries. It is a bit more costly but only about an hour from ABQ so accessible for events or visits. There is a commuter train between ABQ and Santa Fe with usually a free senior day each week and generally cheap fares otherwise.

My only experience with Las Vagas NV has been the intense heat in summer - over 110.

Old 01-24-2020, 09:29 AM

1,993 posts, read 4,082,968 times
Quote:
We want a "good climate" not a lot of days (whatever that is) above 90 or 100
That rules Las Vegas, NV out. The entire summer is days over 100º.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:20 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,647,554 times
Albuquerque doesn't have "excessive heat" It only gets up to 100+ degrees about 2-3 times on average each year here. 90+ degree days occur about 43 days on average each year. This is the high desert, not the low desert.

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...th-average.php

https://www.weather.gov/abq/clifeatures_100degrees

Albuquerque is the perfect middle between Santa Fe and Las Vegas with what you want to avoid climate-wise.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:46 PM

681 posts, read 1,215,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'll tell you one thing; as a smaller town, Santa Fe is much easier to drive in than ABQ. I've really come to enjoy small-town living in Santa Fe.
I certainly agree with this! Compared to SF traffic, Albuquerque traffic can be a bit "trying." It's always a relief when I head north on I-25 and get past Bernalillo where traffic thins significantly.

As far as snow in SF....we had a small dump on Thanksgiving and a bit last week. All roads were clear in less than 24 hours, most not even that long. Summer temps.... low 90's seemed to be the max last summer.

LV, NV?......just too darn hot in the summer and traffic is a bigger rat-race than Albuquerque.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:32 AM

5,101 posts, read 7,526,673 times
Quote:
Other things being roughly equal ...
What "other things"? Certainly cost of living is not equal-- Santa Fe has a much higher CoL than Albuquerque, especially in the housing market. And Albuquerque has about 8x the population of Santa Fe, also not equal. There are many other inequalities you might want to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque