Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 07:24 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,039,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Dreamer View Post
I would say that is the leading cause, coupled with drug/alcohol abuse which goes hand and hand.
I think the number 1 cause is affordable housing. No housing leads to, no job, drug and alcohol abuse, and crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 07:29 AM

55 posts, read 21,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alloo66 View Post
I think the number 1 cause is affordable housing. No housing leads to, no job, drug and alcohol abuse, and crime.
Except that ABQ has some of the most affordable housing in the US at the moment. One of the reasons I'm considering moving there.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:19 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,039,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortably_numb View Post
Except that ABQ has some of the most affordable housing in the US at the moment. One of the reasons I'm considering moving there.
It's all relative to wages in the area.

Old 03-09-2024, 12:07 AM

2,611 posts, read 2,339,630 times
Quote:
I'm surprised Kansas City is substantially more.

Old 03-09-2024, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
It wasn't until 2016, 2017. Beware the invading Californians! If they come to ABQ, they'll artificially increase housing costs there too.

Old 03-09-2024, 09:47 AM

5,061 posts, read 7,460,431 times
This was one of the more threatening creatures I experienced during my many years in SE Albuquerque. No doubt looking for its next victim. It's a war out there!
Attached Thumbnails
I'm fascinated by the history of "The War Zone"-screen-shot-2024-03-09-9.43.21  

Old 03-09-2024, 07:52 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,339,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Quote:
It wasn't until 2016, 2017. Beware the invading Californians! If they come to ABQ, they'll artificially increase housing costs there too.
That explains it.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:41 AM

Quote:
According to a cost of living comparison website, average rent for a 1BR apartment in Albuquerque is $1,582, while in Kansas City it's $1,409, or 11% higher in Albuquerque.

In another thread you were impressed by film industry jobs in New Mexico. Guess where most of those folks come from? California.

Old 03-10-2024, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
According to a cost of living comparison website, average rent for a 1BR apartment in Albuquerque is $1,582, while in Kansas City it's $1,409, or 11% higher in Albuquerque.

In another thread you were impressed by film industry jobs in New Mexico. Guess where most of those folks come from? California.
Wrong. A simple search on Craigslist or Apartments.com shows available units for less than $700 in ABQ. No such affordable housing exists in KC anymore.

Regarding the film industry jobs, they hire *locals,* the actors live in CA and fly out to NM for shoots.

Case in point- Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul utilized a very large proportion of local ABQ folks for production and filming.

Old 03-10-2024, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Wrong. A simple search on Craigslist or Apartments.com shows available units for less than $700 in ABQ. No such affordable housing exists in KC anymore.

Regarding the film industry jobs, they hire *locals,* the actors live in CA and fly out to NM for shoots.

Case in point- Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul utilized a very large proportion of local ABQ folks for production and filming.
But you are not local to ABQ either, so does it make a difference to locals if the film jobs are taken by Californians or Missourians? Lots of people from California move here for film and many other jobs, and as refugees from the high cost of living there.

I too moved here from somewhere else, to take a job away from a local, so I can't blame you for wanting to do the same, but let's not claim to be "local" before even moving here.

Be careful with Craigslist since a lot of those rent prices listed are by the week, not month.

Oops, this is off-topic now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque