Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 01:40 PM

277 posts, read 785,763 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just got back from a week's long trip to New Mexico, and I absolutely loved it. I spent about 3 full days in ABQ, and I found the city to be very geographically beautiful, and the Pueblo revival style architecture to be very unique. I also found it very "vibey". It has character and a local culture that is easy to feel when you're there. Special places for me were the Sandia mountains, the Acoma and Laguna pueblos, Lobo Taco on 4th street, and the various coffee houses (Blackbird, Cutbow, and Slow Burn) that served incredible coffee. In addition to its charm, I found the city paradoxical also.

Is it safe to say that the city has a high enough crime rate that it warrants concern wherever you go?
I always felt a slight tension when exploring either by car or by foot. The streets were generally empty during the day, and everything completely shuts down by sundown (especially downtown with very few exceptions on Central). Driving through and visiting some places along Central Ave. heading west along Route 66 also demonstrated some challenging aspects of the city.

I just wanted to know if any locals can shed light on whether or not my gut instincts were correct when visiting such a uniquely beautiful city and what would give me more perspective when I visit again.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 02:56 PM

55 posts, read 17,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_jordania View Post
I just wanted to know if any locals can shed light on whether or not my gut instincts were correct
Thanks!
I'm not a local, but I've been there enough times to say I agree with this assessment.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:15 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
The Central Avenue corridor has some sketchy areas, which are not places you would find many tourist attractions anyway, but you may drive through them. Apart from that, the rest of the city doesn't warrant any special concern above ordinary advice (like lock your car, don't leave valuables in sight, etc.), at least not in areas you'd likely to be going as a visitor.

Not sure what is "west along Route 66" without knowing your starting point. Of course Route 66 runs the whole length of the city.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:33 PM

277 posts, read 785,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
The Central Avenue corridor has some sketchy areas, which are not places you would find many tourist attractions anyway, but you may drive through them. Apart from that, the rest of the city doesn't warrant any special concern above ordinary advice (like lock your car, don't leave valuables in sight, etc.), at least not in areas you'd likely to be going as a visitor.

Not sure what is "west along Route 66" without knowing your starting point. Of course Route 66 runs the whole length of the city.

Rio Grande Blvd. and Central, heading west. I kept going.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:17 PM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Is it safe to say that the city has a high enough crime rate that it warrants concern wherever you go?
I always felt a slight tension when exploring either by car or by foot.

Thanks!
Albuquerque doesn't always give the best first impression along that line. The only neighborhoods that are often recognized as "sketchy" are out east along Central Ave. around Louisiana and the Fairgrounds. The homeless situation is another issue that might make places look worrisome. The usual rules apply for life in a big city. Be careful with your stuff, don't go places that feel uncomfortable, be selective with your friends, don't join a gang or get involved with drugs or crime activity.

Albuquerque doesn't resemble larger or eastern cities where bad neighborhoods fit a stereotype. The arid climate, sparse vegetation, and mostly low-rise architecture can make places look unusual or marginal to a visitor when they are not. Rio Grande and Central is the Old Town area -- very touristy. There is a police substation there somewhere. The museum district is close by. The Homeless might have been visible along there.

Come back soon.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:17 AM

17,772 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:

I always felt a slight tension when exploring either by car or by foot.
Some of these "feelings" are simply due to unfamiliarity with a place. Over time a place will become more comfortable and less threatening as you get used to the goings on.

I think also, the "rep" a place has may influence us in how we perceive a place initially...

And certainly Albuquerque has that "seedy underbelly" kind of reputation... deservedly or not. And certainly, all the mid size towns in the desert and the high plains share that same rep.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:10 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Rio Grande Blvd. and Central, heading west. I kept going.
OK, then you crossed the river to the West Side, and that stretch of Central (66) is pretty run down too, but doesn't represent all of the West Side.

If judging Albuquerque only from what you see along Central, then you might get a bad impression. That's just one narrow slice of the city. Route 66 was the main drag until Interstate 40 was built, which drained businesses from the area, and sections of it have struggled since then.

And since the city is very car-oriented, I think it's common to get the feeling of "where are all the people?" since you don't see pedestrians going about their business, so you might feel kind of exposed when you step out of your car and walk around. The streets can feel deserted sometimes. And in some spots along Central the only people you might see walking around have no place to go and seem threatening.

Even beyond Central, panhandling has become pretty commonplace, but I've never felt threatened.

Old 03-06-2024, 10:12 AM

971 posts, read 533,657 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I just got back from a week's long trip to New Mexico, and I absolutely loved it. I spent about 3 full days in ABQ, and I found the city to be very geographically beautiful, and the Pueblo revival style architecture to be very unique. I also found it very "vibey". It has character and a local culture that is easy to feel when you're there. Special places for me were the Sandia mountains, the Acoma and Laguna pueblos, Lobo Taco on 4th street, and the various coffee houses (Blackbird, Cutbow, and Slow Burn) that served incredible coffee. In addition to its charm, I found the city paradoxical also.

I always felt a slight tension when exploring either by car or by foot. The streets were generally empty during the day, and everything completely shuts down by sundown (especially downtown with very few exceptions on Central). Driving through and visiting some places along Central Ave. heading west along Route 66 also demonstrated some challenging aspects of the city.

I just wanted to know if any locals can shed light on whether or not my gut instincts were correct when visiting such a uniquely beautiful city and what would give me more perspective when I visit again.

Thanks!
Considering the neighborhoods you visited in Albuquerque, yes you found the high crime areas, but Albuquerque as a city does not have any more crime than any city the same size in the rest of the country. Except maybe gun violence because of stricter gun laws and less police training (compared to Arizona).

I am glad you enjoyed your visit, the state is dependent on tourists as all the big businesses have packed up and left due to tax cuts they can't get here that they can get elsewhere.

Old 03-07-2024, 10:45 AM

25 posts, read 9,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

Locking your car and dont leave valuables insight is always good practice everywhere. Maine is one of the safest state in the country. And we always have breakins in vehicles when people are stupid to leave it unlocked or leave their laptop etc. in plain view. I lock even in my own driveway.
We loved Albuquerque area we just didnt go the section you did "a_jordania" Some day I have to investigate.

Old 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
The allure of Albuquerque is the open space feeling. Never been to a more spacious feeling city.

I've lived in crowded places all my life, Hong Kong, NYC, Seattle. Going to ABQ is always seems like I escaped from Jail or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque