Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times

Advertisements

Please remember per the Terms of Service that there is to be no advertising. Be careful.

https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,544,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Im afraid mine only got worse, but then the NHS here in the UK dont recognise this as a true allergy or illness as it doesnt show up on their blood tests.. mine started almost 50 years ago when I worked in my first job in a printing factory... at first I felt sick a lot while using glues, inks, varnshes etc but thought everyone did .. so didnt bother much until it got so bad I had to be sent home from work..on several occassions.. things didnt get better when I got my own flat and was polishing furniture and cleaning windows with the pink stuff that turns to a powder, my eyes suffered badly and I took a growth in the bottom lid.. that I still have to this day... over the years, I noticed more and more getting to me.. like air fresheners, perfume.. household paints with VOCs. turps. paraffin. diesel , petrol.. in fact everything you can think of with petro chemcials bases. and thats about all thats around these days.... I havent worn perfume for thirty years. dont have anything with a smell in my home. clean with only Green products, same with soap. shampoos. even makeup has to be water based and perfume free... this allergy- sensitivity is known as MCS Multiple Chemical Sensitivity.... since no one would listen to ma comlaints, I decided to search for myself, first with Allergy UK who didnt deal with chemicals and passed me on to AAA. who were helpful expliaining what I might have and trying to help by letter... then Allergy UK took a greater interest and now have a section of their dept. only for chemical sensitive people to phone or email and hopefully get help, or at least to be listened to... the UK is very bad as dealing with this, as other countries take it much more seriously and some have clinics especially for this... If you visit Diana Bucklands Global Awareness site, it explains and lot... she does all the work on her own with a little help from cooridinators worldwide , her site has a guestbook and you can read others like yourself and how they cope...Once MCS gets a grip, if like mine it has multiplied from one or two items to all ... even plastics , wood burning, new carpets, flooring. new houses all affect me... If you PM me Ill give you some sites to visit and to try and understand whats happening to your body.. and mind.. as I find I lose concentration very easily and have poor short term memory so it definitely does something to the brain also.. Ive had to leave jobs over the years as bosses didnt understand that spraying the office or workplace was making me so ill... now some places have public place bans on scents.. sense at last... only a sufferer can ever understand how bad this makes a person feel and how ill they can become... its like having the flu, the only way I can explain it, with added symptoms. like tremors.. sweating. tiredness. headaches, nausea. mood swings..spaced out feeling. a heavy cloud over your head... and many more symptoms..and this can all be caused by one whiff of someones perfume.. but much worse if shut in like a car, bus or room with perfume around .... so avoidance for me is all I can really do, and make sure no one visits my home.. wearing anything perfumed, even a slight smell of deoderant or a soap powder sets it off, worse still is fabric conditioner.. and I wont go into whats in that junk.. no one should use it ..
Dizzy, my doctor just tells me to avoid the stuff. Aye, right! Easier said than done. I've been on antihistamines the past couple of years and that does help a lot. I've had MCS for about 10 years and it just got worse and worse. The antihistamines help with some things, but not all. Some things make me cough, some make my nose run, and some give me a sinus headache. It would be torture to go into a scented candle shop or one of that bath and body shops. I'm okay with some artificial scents but not others and haven't really figured out why.

Old 11-07-2013, 04:50 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
stay well away from all scented products Ameriiscot , as I thought I could get away with some perfumes back in the 80s which proved not to be.. and affected me as well in time...

Old 11-08-2013, 12:53 AM

Quote:
stay well away from all scented products Ameriiscot , as I thought I could get away with some perfumes back in the 80s which proved not to be.. and affected me as well in time...
I avoid anything perfumey like the plague. But sometimes I'm trapped by people wearing lotions, aftershave or perfume on a bus or plane. Torture!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Been there often and its horrendous and is like a torture.... I do the unperfumed wipes thing over my mouth and nose on a plane, its everywhere, the stewards too constantly waft past leavng their chemtrail... and should know better with the dangers on planes with all the recycled air in such cramped spaces.. many crew suffer long term illness with all this.. Illness among cabin crew heightens toxic air fears - Telegraph

Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Been there often and its horrendous and is like a torture.... I do the unperfumed wipes thing over my mouth and nose on a plane, its everywhere, the stewards too constantly waft past leavng their chemtrail... and should know better with the dangers on planes with all the recycled air in such cramped spaces.. many crew suffer long term illness with all this.. Illness among cabin crew heightens toxic air fears - Telegraph
Good idea. But most of our flights are 8+ hours long and if the person is sitting near me I'm stuck. Although since being on antihistamines I don't get the immediate sinus headaches like I used to.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 7,337 times
Default Want to know more about the treatment?

Need to know the cost involved and recovery time etc.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:55 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Yes, a very long list of sensitivities from thread to chemicals, perfumes and medicines. Some things I can control, some I cannot. I have no hair spray, cologne, after shave, or room fresheners, furniture polish, or floor cleaners in my house. I do not well tolerate the smell of artifically produced flower or extract smells. I am okay with fruit and spices and products that contain Green Tea oils and Aloe. I use a cinnamon and apple air freshener. Walmart sells it for $1.

Formaldehyde is in carpeting and furniture fabrics because it is manufactured in large rolls that bugs live in. Without the formula you would have colonies of various bugs in your house. Here are a few of the things I do that work for me.

No open windows in house or car.
No active wood or paper fueled fireplace.
3M Filtrete furnace filter that traps particles larger than 0.03 microns of: bacteria, allergens, virus, flu, dust, pet dander and smoke. There are some 3M Filtrete filters that trap more. I've tried other brands with bad to zero luck regarding effectiveness. I change my filters every 30 days.

Natural laundry soap, natural hand and dish soap. Natural body gel and shampoo. I bulk buy my products at Trader Joe's as it is 50% cheaper than my local natural store. I can also buy a natural deodorant.

100% cotton clothing, and leather only shoes. It reduced contact dermatitis 95%. The only cotton sox I can find are diabetic. There is only a tine bit of elastic at the top' they wear well but they are ugly.

100% Cotton towels and wash cloth. Cotton sheets and pillow cases; 300 thread count is softer and less itchy. Zipped plastic plastic mattress cover (no bugs), and all cotton washable mattress pad. I've purchased some very nice cotton sheets on sale at Target and Sears. Inexpensive sheets have slubs that are like knots in thread. It's very painful to me. So are seams in T-shirts.

Professionally spray house and yar 4x yearly inside and out to repel all pests.
Keep grass cut, weeds out, and immediately rake and bag wet leaves to eliminate all leaf mold allergies. My walkway between the house and garage is bricked because I am allergic to grass, too.

White vinegar is your friend from windows, to laundry, to floors. I also have a water conditioner. Ninety-nine perecent of the products i use are septic system and eco-friendly. Potassium Chloride water softener salt is eco-friendly but BAD for diabetics. Sodium Chloride salt is not eco-friendly.

I changed the head in the shower to rain forest type because the regular spray hurts my ultra sensitive-to-touch skin.

I switched to bottled water. I use it for drinks, food preparation (pasta). and also in food such as pancake mix. I buy as many natural dry packaged products that I can.

I have atopic eczema. It is child's disease I did not get until I was 65. It not only moves to different areas of the body, the itch is worse at night. Sweat and heat activates it. The vast majority of physicians have never seen it. After 9 months of doctors who couldn't, I drove 400 miles to learn there is no cure. Most skins doctors can diagnose it.

All of these changes I instituted have a make a big difference 8 years later. It sometimes takes what seems like a liketime to feel the difference.

BEFORE you buy your next house DO have it tested for MOLD. I have had much less trouble moving into a well cared for older home than I ever did a new one.

Last edited by linicx; 11-09-2013 at 06:06 AM..

Old 11-09-2013, 06:17 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,889,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
What do they use as pest repellant?

Old 11-09-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Yes, a very long list of sensitivities from thread to chemicals, perfumes and medicines. Some things I can control, some I cannot. I have no hair spray, cologne, after shave, or room fresheners, furniture polish, or floor cleaners in my house. I do not well tolerate the smell of artifically produced flower or extract smells. I am okay with fruit and spices and products that contain Green Tea oils and Aloe. I use a cinnamon and apple air freshener. Walmart sells it for $1.

Formaldehyde is in carpeting and furniture fabrics because it is manufactured in large rolls that bugs live in. Without the formula you would have colonies of various bugs in your house. Here are a few of the things I do that work for me.

No open windows in house or car.
No active wood or paper fueled fireplace.
3M Filtrete furnace filter that traps particles larger than 0.03 microns of: bacteria, allergens, virus, flu, dust, pet dander and smoke. There are some 3M Filtrete filters that trap more. I've tried other brands with bad to zero luck regarding effectiveness. I change my filters every 30 days.

Natural laundry soap, natural hand and dish soap. Natural body gel and shampoo. I bulk buy my products at Trader Joe's as it is 50% cheaper than my local natural store. I can also buy a natural deodorant.

100% cotton clothing, and leather only shoes. It reduced contact dermatitis 95%. The only cotton sox I can find are diabetic. There is only a tine bit of elastic at the top' they wear well but they are ugly.

100% Cotton towels and wash cloth. Cotton sheets and pillow cases; 300 thread count is softer and less itchy. Zipped plastic plastic mattress cover (no bugs), and all cotton washable mattress pad. I've purchased some very nice cotton sheets on sale at Target and Sears. Inexpensive sheets have slubs that are like knots in thread. It's very painful to me. So are seams in T-shirts.

Keep grass cut, weeds out, and immediately rake and bag wet leaves to eliminate all leaf mold allergies. My walkway between the house and garage is bricked because I am allergic to grass, too.

White vinegar is your friend from windows, to laundry, to floors. I also have a water conditioner. Ninety-nine perecent of the products i use are septic system and eco-friendly. Potassium Chloride water softener salt is eco-friendly but BAD for diabetics. Sodium Chloride salt is not eco-friendly.

I changed the head in the shower to rain forest type because the regular spray hurts my ultra sensitive-to-touch skin.

I switched to bottled water. I use it for drinks, food preparation (pasta). and also in food such as pancake mix. I buy as many natural dry packaged products that I can.

I have atopic eczema. It is child's disease I did not get until I was 65. It not only moves to different areas of the body, the itch is worse at night. Sweat and heat activates it. The vast majority of physicians have never seen it. After 9 months of doctors who couldn't, I drove 400 miles to learn there is no cure. Most skins doctors can diagnose it.

All of these changes I instituted have a make a big difference 8 years later. It sometimes takes what seems like a liketime to feel the difference.

BEFORE you buy your next house DO have it tested for MOLD. I have had much less trouble moving into a well cared for older home than I ever did a new one.
I haven't quite figured out the differences in what I'm sensitive to and what I'm not. Orange scented cleaners - no way. Grapefruit and some lemon scented is fine. Any scent of candles - no way. I don't have a problem with Pantene shampoo, but all my other soaps and lotions are unscented. There is a tea tree oil shampoo that doesn't bother me either.

I can't use any furniture polish, air fresheners - no way, non-bio clothes detergents, never use dryer sheets.

Mold makes me cough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies