Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 09:03 PM

149 posts, read 371,628 times

Advertisements

Lots of people are getting ether the allergy or the sensitivity.
My intestines do not likr gluten almost like it cannot process it.
Now i am gluten free and feel great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:06 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Having an allergy to wheat is much different than having an allergy to gluten.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:41 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Gluten sensitivity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gluten sensitivity (also gluten intolerance) is a spectrum of disorders including celiac disease in which gluten has an adverse effect on the body. Symptoms include bloating, abdominal discomfort or pain, diarrhea, muscular disturbances and bone or joint pain. [1][2]

Gluten gives elasticity to dough helping it to rise and to keep its shape. It is found in many staple foods in the Western diet. It is a protein composite found in wheat and other grains, including barley and rye and processed foods thereof.

Old 12-15-2013, 06:44 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,045,974 times
Celiac - not an "allergy" - it is a disease.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:56 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,825,049 times
I agree that people are being tested more now then back in the day. I know people who have serious nerve damage that are older because of being celiac but it went undiagnosed.
I do wonder in general though if it is becoming more common. Kind of like peanut allergies. Now many schools don't even allow peanut butter for lunch to be brought. When I was growing up it was never an issue.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:15 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
My brother just got diagnosed with it. I told him years ago that he almost definitely had it but he didn't believe me!

Old 12-16-2013, 10:10 AM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
One of the main problems is that years ago people grew and ate products that were naturally farm grown or produced with natural fertilizers etal.Today we have chemical induced growing, artificial growth patterns producing engineered vegetables and hybrid animals that we really don't know the long range effects. Many of these ingredients are imported from 3rd world countires.
Even with organics today you really can't trust. One study I read awhile back said the amount of organics being sold today that about 50-60% were contaminated with chemicals.

Old 12-17-2013, 05:18 PM

566 posts, read 1,107,069 times
The sheer amount of breads, cookies, etc that contain grains/wheat/gluten is what is doing us in!

Toast/muffins in the morning, cookies for a snack - sandwich for lunch and maybe more cookies, some bread like snack and a big old bowl of pasta with breadstix at dinner. Why many sauces and beers, etc contain grains, as well as personal products.

Your digestive system cannot - will not - be able to fend off the toxins.
Quote:
There are toxic substances in grains that will cause Leaky Gut Syndrome. Many people react to these irritants and do not know that they are setting the stage for autoimmunity.
A very informative - easy to read blurb on it all here: Leaky Gut: Why It Happens and What To Do About It here is a little of the information:
Quote:
Zonulin opens the door to leaky gut
We know that a substance called zonulin opens up the spaces between the cells of the intestinal lining. That normally occurs, in order for nutrient and other molecules to get in and out of the intestine. However, when leaky gut is present, the spaces between the cells open up too much and this allows the larger protein molecules to get into the bloodstream where an immunologic reaction can take place. Once that happens, the body is primed to react to those proteins each and every time they appear.

Moderator cut: too much quoted material. Just the link & a snippet, please.

You may not know what is happening until you become very ill and damage/inflammation needs urgent attention. Meds alone won't repair.

Chane of Diet is the way. For life.

Last edited by in_newengland; 12-19-2013 at 07:33 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 02:48 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
I have a feeling I may have some sort of sensitivity going on because whenever I eat I am in pain in my gut, have bloating, things of the like. I decided to change how I eat. Basically a lifestyle change. I cut out the flour in my diet and I have felt worlds better. I basically eat only fruits and vegetables and proteins. I do eat oatmeal. I eat no pasta at all. I also cut out the rice and white potatoes as well as most of the sugar.

I have felt so much better. Last night we were out to eat and there sat yeast rolls. I ate 2 small pieces of a roll and I have been in a nice amount of pain ever since. Today is better than yesterday and I am back to eating how I had been.

I don't know if I have it or not, but I do know that my body feels better when I eat things without flour...

Old 04-09-2014, 07:46 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
The people who are eliminating gluten and wheat from their diet because it is healthy, will eventually go back to eating it.

It is inconvenient, expensive, and you can ingest more calories eating gluten free food replacements.

I would totally eat some yummy food with gluten if I could. It's not worth the vomiting, stomach issues, and migraines. I have not been this way my whole life, and only had symptoms after having a child.

It is irritating when people rail at me to eat foods with gluten. Don't you think I want that piece of cake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies