Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 06:01 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Sorry, do not remember the brand. Even if you get a big, loud, powerful air-cleaner.......you can alway run it on low and it will be fairly quiet. Also, when you go out of the house, run it on high.

I highly recommend getting an air-cleaner with an ionizer, one that you can shut off if you are sensitive.........ionizers do a great job of getting particulate-matter out of the air.

Thanks, but didn't they say something negative about those IONIZING types? I remember reading something a while back, which is probably why I got rid of the one I used to have. In looking around online, it said this about them, so no, I won't take a chance getting it again, NOT w/ my minor asthma issue I have:

"Some critics believe that air ionizers give off dangerous levels of ozone which is not only harmful to the environment, but can be equally as hazardous to your health. When inhaled in high enough doses, ozone can have harmful effects– including damage to your lungs, chest pain, coughing, or shortness of breath."

There's articles out there about them too. Here's a few:

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...g-air-cleaners

https://molekule.science/air-purifie...s-bad-or-good/

https://theozonehole.com/are-air-pur...izers-safe.htm

That's why you always do research before buying anything important/big & the moment you find out something negative, get rid of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 09:04 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,579,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Thanks, but didn't they say something negative about those IONIZING types? I remember reading something a while back, which is probably why I got rid of the one I used to have. In looking around online, it said this about them, so no, I won't take a chance getting it again, NOT w/ my minor asthma issue I have:

"Some critics believe that air ionizers give off dangerous levels of ozone which is not only harmful to the environment, but can be equally as hazardous to your health. When inhaled in high enough doses, ozone can have harmful effects– including damage to your lungs, chest pain, coughing, or shortness of breath."

There's articles out there about them too. Here's a few:

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quali...g-air-cleaners

https://molekule.science/air-purifie...s-bad-or-good/

https://theozonehole.com/are-air-pur...izers-safe.htm

That's why you always do research before buying anything important/big & the moment you find out something negative, get rid of it.

Yes, some people are sensitive to ionizers. I am not one of them, I can run an ionizer while I am in the same room and have no problems.

The level of ozone that ionizers give off is tested and regulated to pretty low levels. It is easy to get around any problems you may have with the small amount of ozone that ionizers produce........just get an air-cleaner that has a switchable ionizer and only run it when you are out of the house.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:13 PM

Well, I have my 2 air purifiers that I'm happy w/...one's brand new.

NEW QUESTION TO EVERYONE: How often do you run your purifier?

- 24/7
- Only during the day
- Only at night
- Every other day or something else if so, what?

I used to do it only during my waking hours & turned it off right before bed, but since these fires started weeks ago, I've been running them 24/7 now, but will turn it off occasionally for a few hours or so to give the machine a rest.

Old 10-07-2020, 06:52 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Well, I have my 2 air purifiers that I'm happy w/...one's brand new.

NEW QUESTION TO EVERYONE: How often do you run your purifier?

- 24/7
- Only during the day
- Only at night
- Every other day or something else if so, what?

I used to do it only during my waking hours & turned it off right before bed, but since these fires started weeks ago, I've been running them 24/7 now, but will turn it off occasionally for a few hours or so to give the machine a rest.
The one in the bedroom runs 24/7 on low setting. The furnace with its HEPA filter just runs when the house calls for heat or A/C. The furnace fan is set to medium-low for heat, medium-high for A/C. I do not run the furnace fan continuously. I change both HEPA filters on Thanksgiving Day.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
The one in the bedroom runs 24/7 on low setting. The furnace with its HEPA filter just runs when the house calls for heat or A/C. The furnace fan is set to medium-low for heat, medium-high for A/C. I do not run the furnace fan continuously. I change both HEPA filters on Thanksgiving Day.

Thanks for answering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentin01 View Post
I tried a few of the static charge ones and then moved to the HEPA. I was not happy with any of them. The static charge ones worked too slow. Some even deposited the dirt form the air on the walls or needed some complex cleaning to frequent. Even the better static ones were only good for a very small room. The HEPA or filter air purifiers worked, but the filters clogged quickly and their efficiency went down quickly as the filters clogged. The filters were expensive and most were not able to be cleaned. I finally gave up and just purchased a whole house HVAC (SpaceGuard) filter. Not really a purifier, but the $40 filters will last the year and you can really see the dirt this thing picks up.

I see, so you got this or something like it?

https://www.aprilaire.com/whole-hous...d-air-purifier

Old 10-09-2020, 10:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,142,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Yes, some people are sensitive to ionizers. I am not one of them, I can run an ionizer while I am in the same room and have no problems.

The level of ozone that ionizers give off is tested and regulated to pretty low levels. It is easy to get around any problems you may have with the small amount of ozone that ionizers produce........just get an air-cleaner that has a switchable ionizer and only run it when you are out of the house.
Mine is switchable, and does not run at night because I don't use it often. The ionizer, that is. The unit itself, every night all night.

Filters are charcoal (one big filter) and changed about annually. It fills with pet dander and who knows what else, nothing I need to breathe with two cats and a mild cat allergy to go-with. The air coming out sure seems good and I sleep quite well with that in the room. It's a BreatheSmart Classic Air Purifier and works well for me.

Having my ducts cleaned every 2-3 years by a truck with a giant vacuum setup in the garage works way better, though. Along with each of the vents. Keeping the cats groomed solves it at the source best of all. Things you learn with mild allergies...

Old 10-18-2020, 06:51 AM

4 posts, read 1,539 times
As there is a news that the COVID-19 virus is airborne so the necessitude of air purifiers or air filters are high. Especially the places where people segregate in large volume. The health department should take this matter as a serious pursuit and should do something on an urgent basis. Now automobile manufactures have initiated an idea to install air purifiers in vehicles. In my persuasion, air filters are something very prevalent scourge that subserves us in this pandemic putrescence

Old 10-19-2020, 07:51 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,046,164 times
My 2019 Buick Encore has an ionizer in addition to the cabin filter (Available only on the Essence model with optional Safety Package II). It can be turned on or off through the display controls. I have it turned on.

Old 12-30-2020, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 633 times
Yes air purifiers DO help. But the secret is in the air purifier filter.

You can find Merv 13 air purifier air filters below. The air purifier filter below is compatible with Aprilaire 2200.

[url]https://savingsmedia.shop/aprilaire-213-air-filter-213-merv-13-bulk-pack-equivalent-replacement/[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies