Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 AM

16,572 posts, read 10,676,390 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up, in the 1970s and 80s, I don't recall ever even hearing about peanut allergies, much less having to adjust my public eating habits in response to them. People ate peanut butter sandwiches and peanut snacks with abandon -- in schools, on airplanes, pretty much everywhere.

And yet, fast forward to today, and its almost like peanuts are on the same level as cigarettes. Lots of schools have completely banned peanut butter, not only from their menus but from the lunchboxes of those who bring their own food as well. You can't even get peanuts on most planes. And there are signs everywhere saying that this or that product was made in a facility that also handles nuts, or not.

What happened? Has the rate of peanut allergies been the same, but sufferers just had to grin and bear it in the old days? (And if so, how did sufferers cope with the ubiquity of peanut products in the larger society?) Or has the rate skyrocketed precisely because kids aren't exposed to peanut products nowadays, and thus their internal systems haven't had a chance to develop an immunity to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,888,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
When I was growing up, in the 1970s and 80s, I don't recall ever even hearing about peanut allergies, much less having to adjust my public eating habits in response to them. People ate peanut butter sandwiches and peanut snacks with abandon -- in schools, on airplanes, pretty much everywhere.

And yet, fast forward to today, and its almost like peanuts are on the same level as cigarettes. Lots of schools have completely banned peanut butter, not only from their menus but from the lunchboxes of those who bring their own food as well. You can't even get peanuts on most planes. And there are signs everywhere saying that this or that product was made in a facility that also handles nuts, or not.

What happened? Has the rate of peanut allergies been the same, but sufferers just had to grin and bear it in the old days? (And if so, how did sufferers cope with the ubiquity of peanut products in the larger society?) Or has the rate skyrocketed precisely because kids aren't exposed to peanut products nowadays, and thus their internal systems haven't had a chance to develop an immunity to it?
don't even get me started on this subject.!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:01 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,777,901 times
Allergies of ALL kinds are more prevalent now. I heard a fascinating report on NPR that explained one possibility: all autoimmune problems -- including allergies, MS, Crohn's disease, and type I diabetes -- went from rare to very common dating from the time the public health service made recommendations that eradicated hookworm from the American population. Living in a world full of minor parasites apparently gives the immune system something concrete to work on; without that challenge, they are likely to turn on the body's own cells or something else harmless -- like peanuts. They haven't proven the parasites/allergies link but I hope it's being seriously looked into.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:20 AM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times
There were always people with peanut allergies. They just took responsibility for what they ate and didn't expect the entire world to be responsible for their safety.

On the allergy thing, I saw a study that said farm kids didn't get allergies because they grew up with lots of dirt and exposed to all sorts of bugs and germs and molds. Today's kids, many of them, are raised in a sterile environment. It could just be that children's immune systems are no longer challenged to develop.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:27 PM

254 posts, read 406,494 times
I've wondered this myself! I've also recently had people tell me they were allergic to green veggies such as spinach and another that was allergic to citrus. I never would have even thought to think of that.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,777,901 times
Of course, a lot of people who say they are allergic just don't want to eat whatever it is.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:34 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,615,568 times
Another reason is that in earlier years, a lot of those kids died before anyone knew what the problem was. Sad but true.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:02 PM

32,964 posts, read 36,449,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezycom View Post
Another reason is that in earlier years, a lot of those kids died before anyone knew what the problem was. Sad but true.
Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:06 PM

44 posts, read 64,569 times
There is a theory -- I haven't researched it enough to agree one way or the other -- that GMO foods are what's causing allergies to foods that were previously nonallergenic.

Like the OP, I grew up many decades ago and you NEVER heard of anyone being allergic to peanuts and peanut butter.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:25 PM

582 posts, read 780,093 times
Much of the problem is that many parents want to sterilize everything thing. When we had are first kid, a doctor that was very prominent in the allergy field told us to let the kid get dirty. It appears to have worked.

It's strange, it has been shown that every part of the human body benefits from exercise, yet many do everything possible to assure that their immune system is lazy. Then they expect it to work at 100% when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies