Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 04:12 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrewer28 View Post
Does anyone know anything about the possibility of nickel in some water supplies versus others? I am reactive to nickel and cobalt, which I know from extensive patch testing. I was living in upstate New York and my hand and facial eczema (eyes, lips, around mouth) seemed to clear up and not be problematic but whenever I would go home to my parents' house in Westchester (outside NYC), it would flare up (also was using a brita for drinking water upstate). I think I have eliminated any other differences there could be between the two places except maybe dust mites-there may be more in their house with more carpets and dogs but have been trying to manage that. I am wondering if it is the water I am bathing in and drinking (hence the lips) affecting the most sensitive areas of my face. Sometimes when I wash my face at night, it seems to get a bit red and almost blotchy. I have a safe list of products and they haven't changed form one place to the other so can't be that. Just curious is anyone has encountered something like this with regard to more metals in water supply. I guess I could try a filter for the shower head but not sure that would even filter it out. So frustrating!
https://www.h2odistributors.com/contaminant-nickel.asp

I had environmental health out a few years ago as my drinking and washing water smells strongly of bleach.. the jovial man came in with his wee testing kit and I felt he was mocking me to be honest, kidding all the time about complaints etc.. he tested the water and said it met EU standards, I said. SMELL IT then..he idd and twisted his face up and looked to the roof saying... MMM a little bit of chlorine smell.... I said , ITS disgusting and if I do drink some by accident it stings my lips... he laughed.... and aid..NO NO its probably because road works are being done just now and you live to near the River Clyde.... I was stunned and said .... so the water is contaminated...........NO NO dont be silly of course its not...so I said WELL taste it, he refused... says enough.. I never drink the stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 04:56 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
https://www.h2odistributors.com/contaminant-nickel.asp

I had environmental health out a few years ago as my drinking and washing water smells strongly of bleach.. the jovial man came in with his wee testing kit and I felt he was mocking me to be honest, kidding all the time about complaints etc.. he tested the water and said it met EU standards, I said. SMELL IT then..he idd and twisted his face up and looked to the roof saying... MMM a little bit of chlorine smell.... I said , ITS disgusting and if I do drink some by accident it stings my lips... he laughed.... and aid..NO NO its probably because road works are being done just now and you live to near the River Clyde.... I was stunned and said .... so the water is contaminated...........NO NO dont be silly of course its not...so I said WELL taste it, he refused... says enough.. I never drink the stuff.
I always taste the water on a water complaint. I bring along a box of Dixie Cups for that purpose.

Old 01-22-2016, 05:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
I've known since 1991 the dangers of fluoride. And the U.S. has been fluoridating our public waters for 7 decades...there are hundreds of cities who reject and remove fluoride and our so called environmental city decided to add this "waste by product" to our public waters. It's awful stuff.
Follow the long money trail to this issue. I know it and have books about the history and belong to anti F groups.

MOST filters do NOT filter out fluorides...one has to spend big money for the special filters. I buy all my drinking and cooking water and take "QUICK" showers. There are some chemicals necessary to disinfect our waters but the "F".....

FAN site is a good start for education on this dradded issue.

Those poor people in Flint being poisoned as they are. Lead is in the fluoride added to our public waters also. Then there are the Porter Ranch, CA people being poisoned by escaping gases.

The rich and poor are getting sicker.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 01-22-2016 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: made addition

Old 01-23-2016, 04:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Over the years I've talked about this fluoridation issue and many reported allergy to fluoride, this additive to our water comes from lead smelters...so there is lead in the water we are getting...this is not calcium fluoride. And there are other additives to our waters as well -- see the report from your water dept...ask for the report.

Old 01-24-2016, 05:48 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,252,806 times
I wonder if you like very hot showers, if so then when in Florida try taking cool showers...

Old 02-11-2016, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,272 times
I live in Indianapolis, and for two years now have been suffering from what my dermatologist wrote off as eczema. I believe it's linked to the yearly cleaning of the water treatment facilities with chlorine and chloramine. I went on vacation to NC and my skin looked amazing. On the way back to Indy, I swam in a chlorinated pool in KY, and that's when the rash came back. I've gotten Vitamin C filters for my showers, which neutralize chlorine and chloramine. I don't like the wastefulness of bottled water, and I haven't gotten a filter for our drinking water yet. I believe that's why my skin irritation hasn't gone away completely. I use Cortisone ointment on my eyelids per dermatologist occasionally, and I take Zyrtec. Perhaps I should write a letter to the water company.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
I agree with you about the water quality.

I've recently started washing my face with bottled water and the rash on my eyelids is finally getting better. I have begun to suspect the local water is the cause. I have quit drinking the water, as well. Using cold water to wash my face. Also, my eye doctor gave me a 30 day supply of doxycycline, so maybe that is helping also. I've been to 6 doctors and this is the first time I've had improvement. They have diagnosed the condition as allergic dermatitis but cortisone ointment, elidel, and desonide ointment have all made the rash more sore and more red. The doctors seem surprised that these meds don't heal the problem. That's one reason I think their diagnosis is incorrect.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 44,300 times
FYI for anyone who is struggling and suspects their water..I have gotten a filter for my shower and it has made a world of difference for my dermatitis. I started suspecting fluoride was the culprit since when I lived in Ithaca (where they don't add fluoride to the water supply) I had no issues. I do not think the filter I have takes out the fluoride, however, and from what I have read, that is hard to do without an expensive whole-house filtration system. So, not sure if it's the fluoride or something else the filter is taking out but I highly recommend it and I never once got this suggestion from a doctor. I am washing my face and brushing teeth with distilled bottled water only and my lip rash/eczema has completely cleared up. Scary to think if water is doing this to my skin, what are the other things we encounter on a daily basis doing that goes unseen.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:28 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,368,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrewer28 View Post
FYI for anyone who is struggling and suspects their water..I have gotten a filter for my shower and it has made a world of difference for my dermatitis. I started suspecting fluoride was the culprit since when I lived in Ithaca (where they don't add fluoride to the water supply) I had no issues. I do not think the filter I have takes out the fluoride, however, and from what I have read, that is hard to do without an expensive whole-house filtration system. So, not sure if it's the fluoride or something else the filter is taking out but I highly recommend it and I never once got this suggestion from a doctor. I am washing my face and brushing teeth with distilled bottled water only and my lip rash/eczema has completely cleared up. Scary to think if water is doing this to my skin, what are the other things we encounter on a daily basis doing that goes unseen.
Are you using distilled water or filtered bottled water? There is a inference...

Old 02-17-2016, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 44,300 times
I am using distilled water to wash my face (gallon jug from cvs or grocery store, says distilled on label), but the filtered shower water (not sure exactly what the shower filter takes out) to bathe the rest of my body in, which seems fine. I am drinking poland spring bottled water only-no tap water because I had the rash on my lips as well. With brushing teeth with distilled and not drinking the tap water, my lips have cleared up. Also be careful of bottled water because there are ones that say infant water which actually add fluoride to it! Just make sure to read the label carefully. Why we must add fluoride to all our water I have no idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies