Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:31 AM

10,237 posts, read 6,326,286 times

Advertisements

If a child has a parent with food allergies, it increases the chances that the child will also but it may not be exactly to the same food. Cause and affect. Never diagnosed as a child but when whenever I ate citrus or strawberries, I broke out in itchy hives. Didn't eat those and didn't get hives. I had skin reaction to those, not internally. Easier to see skin reactions, or breathing problems.

My younger daughter had problems with cows dairy products since infancy. When she got old enough, she would tell me that if she sneaked eating ice cream, she would have horrible pains in her stomach and was constantly running to the toilet for hours. Never diagnosed for allergies, but I gave her goat's milk on advice on her pediatrician and she was fine. This went on throughout her adulthood. No, Lactaid did not work for her. Same symptoms happened as as adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 10:41 AM

37,112 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
Since you are so wise, maybe you can tell us all what causes food allergies and inhalant allergies.
And where is this "alternative realm"?

So you are saying that humans never have problems with fungus or yeasts.

Well how about that which is called "Leaky Gut Syndrome"?

Which is caused either by some direct injury/irritation or by Candida which has overgrown to the extent that it has developed "roots" or extensions that pierce the gut which allows partially digested food particles to enter the blood stream which are then attacked by the immune system which produces various and frequently multiple effects.
If Candida has "overgrown to the extent that it has developed "roots" or extensions that pierce the gut" you would be critically ill or dead.

There is no way for "partially digested food particles to enter the blood stream".

"Candida overgrowth" in someone who is not very sick is a myth.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...ake-illnesses/

Old 11-23-2016, 07:40 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
An Overreaction to Food Allergies - Scientific American

"Common skin-prick tests, in which a person is scratched by a needle coated with proteins from a suspect food, produce signs of irritation 50 to 60 percent of the time even when the person is not actually allergic. 'When you apply the wrong test, as was the case here, you end up with false positives,' says Bird, who co-authored a paper describing the Dallas case in 2013 in the journal Pediatrics. And you end up with a lot of people scared to eat foods that would do them no harm. Bird has said that he and a team of researchers found that 112 of 126 children who were diagnosed with multiple food allergies tolerated at least one of the foods they were cautioned might kill them."
The physician performing the test needs to understand how to interpret these tests. The problem is you have primary care doctors, naturopaths and homeopaths trying to practice allergy. A board certified allergist does not tell someone to avoid a food they routinely eat based on a skin test alone. Most of these mistakes are committed by providers who are not formally trained in allergy.

Old 11-24-2016, 12:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The physician performing the test needs to understand how to interpret these tests. The problem is you have primary care doctors, naturopaths and homeopaths trying to practice allergy. A board certified allergist does not tell someone to avoid a food they routinely eat based on a skin test alone. Most of these mistakes are committed by providers who are not formally trained in allergy.
I've heard about many allergists telling people to avoid foods based on skin tests and about lots of false positives.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:28 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I doubt many primary care doctors are doing skin tests, and naturopaths and homeopaths should not be doing them at all.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:00 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I doubt many primary care doctors are doing skin tests, and naturopaths and homeopaths should not be doing them at all.
Exactly. Allergy testing of any kind is done by a certified allergist. They use skin tests and blood tests.

In my own experience, a homeopath cannot diagnose an allergy. Certain naturopaths do some sort of energy testing where they MAY get a general idea of what substances do not agree with a person. That is not a diagnosis though and even they will usually tell you to go to an allergist for real testing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies