Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 05:57 PM

322 posts, read 286,395 times

Advertisements

I started the process today. Have to do it every week for 7 months. I found out I’m allergic to mold, pollen, grass, cockroaches, dust mites, dogs and cats! I use an air purifier and now I’m starting these shots. I hope it’ll help. I have a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates so I hope it can help with that and I won’t have to resort to surgery.

Anyone else get allergy shots? Have you noticed improvement? What did the shots help with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 06:06 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I have no idea about now but I did get them many yrs. ago (I got 2 shots/week for a long time, don't recall now how long) - I am pretty much allergic to everything. I do think they worked, I still have allergy issues of course but nothing like I did back them - no idea whether it matter what the allergens are, age at getting them, etc. - just do lots of research, good luck.

Old 02-14-2018, 07:58 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I did them about 25 yrs ago and the doctor even had me do them at home. They did NOT do it for ME, neither did the Sudafed and Drixoral I took for years, but grape seed extract did it, actually started with pycnogenol in 1995 and to my surprise got rid of allergy issues now going on 23 yrs. I've posted about these two OPC's when I arrived here 2 yrs ago. Maybe you will be successful but I'm sure happy with my success from what "cured" me. And very cost effective, when I think back to those years.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:56 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I had the shots many years ago and they worked. I still had to take Sudafed for a long time until the shots really kicked in. I went once a week and felt 100% better on the allergy shots. I still have to avoid certain foods and I don't use strong household cleaners that could be irritating, just the simple home made cleaning methods for me.

I had an air purifier too and I kept my bedroom sparsely furnished and as dust free as possible. I did as much as I could to keep an allergy free environment--every little bit helps. It all adds up.

Old 02-15-2018, 06:04 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,054,676 times
I am allergic to pollen: even pollen to which I have not been previously exposed. One of my college biology professors passed around a flowering plant from the desert (I had never been out west). I sniffed a flower to see if it had an odor, and had an immediate 45 minute allergy attack.

I tried allergy shots twice: once in high school until I moved away to college, and once when I lived in the Cleveland area until I got a better job and moved. Neither trial provided the least bit of benefit. I hope you have more success than I did, but I would not bet on it.

As far as a pollen allergy, it would have been better if you had started the treatment at the end of the allergy season, so as to give yourself more time for treatment before the next allergy season.

And as far as cats, I like to say that everyone is allergic to cats; cat lovers just won't admit it. I have a stray cat that I feed because I felt guilty after accidentally locking it in my garage for a few days. There is no way it will ever be allowed inside.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:33 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I had the shots many years ago and they worked. I still had to take Sudafed for a long time until the shots really kicked in. I went once a week and felt 100% better on the allergy shots. I still have to avoid certain foods and I don't use strong household cleaners that could be irritating, just the simple home made cleaning methods for me.
Same experience here. Went through months of shots as a kid as I had lots of allergies to specific pollens, mold, dander, specific foods; mostly grains. The shots worked quite well. Reduced sensitivity, less severe reactions, fewer sick days, and generally a much better life especially understanding what to avoid. Once in a while I may still react to something if its an overwhelming exposure, but its rare.

Old 02-15-2018, 01:46 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
SO and I took them 2014-2017; initially every other day but office visits only for 90 day updates. Pollen, dust, ... and cat! No issues whatsoever with three indoor cats.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 AM

382 posts, read 365,800 times
I've been considering starting allergy shot treatment. I'm allergic to dust, dogs, grass, trees, cats, etc. I'm hoping the shots make it so I won't be allergic to dogs anymore. But maybe that's wishful thinking?

Old 02-17-2018, 11:51 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by submart View Post
I've been considering starting allergy shot treatment. I'm allergic to dust, dogs, grass, trees, cats, etc. I'm hoping the shots make it so I won't be allergic to dogs anymore. But maybe that's wishful thinking?
Well, you can always research the results to find out your chances of success. I'm sure there are published studies that analyzed the percentages of patients who had reduced sensitivities to dog dander after shots and those who didn't. All I can contribute is my own experience and say that the few other people I've known who've gotten them all said the shots at least helped. The idea is that small controlled exposures to a specific allergen helps you develop your own resistance to whatever it happens to be. As the series of shots progress, the amount of that allergen is increased, helping your own system to become less reactive to it.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:32 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingx View Post
I started the process today. Have to do it every week for 7 months. I found out I’m allergic to mold, pollen, grass, cockroaches, dust mites, dogs and cats! I use an air purifier and now I’m starting these shots. I hope it’ll help. I have a deviated septum and enlarged turbinates so I hope it can help with that and I won’t have to resort to surgery.

Anyone else get allergy shots? Have you noticed improvement? What did the shots help with?
My son was about 12 (20 years ago) when we had allergy tests done and found out that he was allergic to many of the same things that you are, plus several others like beef, milk etc.

I consented to shots for him thinking that they would help. They taught me how to give him his weekly shots and that went on for months with me making special meals etc to avoid his food allergies.

Then I found out that the shots themselves were only for his allergy to dust. I had thought they were to help the majority of his allergies....so I felt like I hadn't done the right thing in subjecting him to them. We stopped the shots and I simply began a regiment of severe cleaning to prevent his exposure to dust.

So, I am wanting to advise you to ask exactly what the shots are meant to treat, so that you don't have a similar experience and a false sense of protection from your many allergies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies