Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,570 times

Advertisements

Hi community, Does air purifiers helps in pet allergies?
I have a cat that i keep sitting in my lap all day, which made me allergic. i am looking for your suggestion for air purifiers which really work for pet allergies. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 06:53 AM

11 posts, read 10,159 times
Air purifiers usually consist of a filter, or multiple filters, and a fan that sucks in and circulates air. if you are in serious allergy problem I suggest you consult with a physician, but there are some air purifiers that are especially for pets.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:18 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophiamasonuk View Post
Hi community, Does air purifiers helps in pet allergies?
I have a cat that i keep sitting in my lap all day, which made me allergic. i am looking for your suggestion for air purifiers which really work for pet allergies. Thanks.
If you are allergic to cats, no air cleaner is going to prevent you from having a reaction to holding/petting a cat all day! An air cleaner isn't going to remove dander and fur from your hands or your clothing. Have you actually been tested for allergies? You'll need to change some habits.

A dear friend of mine loves cats but has become more reactive to them as she's gotten older. She can still own a cat, but has needed to minimize holding it, washing her hands/face and brushing off her clothes afterward, and has to keep her home scrupulously clean...which includes using an air cleaner. I think she uses a Rabbitaire with HEPA.

An air cleaner can reduce the dander in your room. If you do a search of this subforum you'll find all sorts of recommendations. Air filters are a very popular topic here! Problem is, how well any of them work will depend a lot on the size of the room, the furnishings, how you clean the place in general, and personal behavior (such as holding a cat on your lap). Bathing the cat and keeping it well brushed may help too.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-07-2021 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-07-2021, 04:35 PM

203 posts, read 371,556 times
Winix and Oransi are both very good. Both expensive but really work with a pet. Need to vacuum, vacuum, and more vacuum, and dust, dust and more dust. Our cat is more than worth it.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:38 AM

11 posts, read 10,159 times
Winix is very good, agreed with @louise50. i recommend this model HR900: Reference and details: https://topbestairpurifiers.com/best-air-purifiers-for-pets/#winix-hr900-air-purifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by louise50 View Post
Winix and Oransi are both very good. Both expensive but really work with a pet. Need to vacuum, vacuum, and more vacuum, and dust, dust and more dust. Our cat is more than worth it.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:41 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I hate cat dander and hair, they are impossible to clean. So imagine how it looks inside your nose.

Old 03-08-2021, 07:11 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I currently have 2 different models of this Levoit brand & I like them. They do have one specifically for pets:

https://www.levoit.com/allproducts/c...a-air-purifier

Old 03-09-2021, 01:18 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
The best air cleaner in the world won't solve the problem if an owner insists on petting and holding the animal they are allergic to on their lap all day!

Old 04-01-2021, 03:57 PM

801 posts, read 451,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexj88 View Post
Winix is very good, agreed with @louise50. i recommend this model HR900: Reference and details: https://topbestairpurifiers.com/best...0-air-purifier
I confirm that a HEPA air filter is the best solution as far as cleaning the air (of dust and dander from animals) and that an air filter is not going to solve the problem of being allergic to your cat. It can help but if you are allergic and petting your cat all day you're still going to suffer.

Try wearing a "brush glove" at the least.
You need to vacuum every day and wash your hands after every petting of the cat.

I had to give up having a cat because of my allergy/asthma problems. After the last one I had, died, I just decided to never get another one, for my health.

I second the nomination for a WINIX hepa filter. I had the 5500 and loved it.
I had several different brands over the years and the Winix was by far the quietest and most efficient and lightweight, easy to move around, etc.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:29 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I bought 2 of this one:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&psc=

for bad seasonal allergies which affect me much of the early part of the year in AZ.

I just shared with a friend on Wed. that I had no allergy symptoms all season so far and was thrilled however now that it's high 80's (and 90 today) I have had the windows open and the pollen count for trees - which seems to be my problem - is 11.5 out of 12 and starting Friday I have been feeling really unwell. I think it is good though and quite reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies