Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 02:20 AM

655 posts, read 916,140 times

Advertisements

I'm talking an all out assault here. Usually it starts when I wake up with a few sneezes, then the runny nose, then it hits and hits hard. I literally become incapacitated, my nose runs like a faucet, sneezing every 1 second. I feel physically drained. I can barely stand up to walk across the room as my nose runs, burns, itches like crazy and I sneeze 30 times in 30 seconds. literally 30 times in 30 seconds, it's bad! I get these attacks about once per month and I'm not sure from what. When they come on, I take 10mg clarinex, (double dose) and sinus decongestant but the decongestant does very little. The clarinex usually kicks in after about 30 hours or so.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop these attacks faster? I'm not talking a runny nose and watery eyes here. I'm talking a total 110% azzz whoppin. Worse then the flu for those first two days. What can I do to improve these initial 2 days? I don't want to take clarinex daily as I do not believe in long term medication use.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 05:36 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Where do you live? Is this going on all year long or just certain month?
Is there something in your house or is it worst outside?
Have you visited a doctor??

Old 05-09-2008, 12:08 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,025,188 times
Try a homeopathic allergy remedy from a health food store. I used to have hay fever pretty bad but after about 3 seasons of using homeopathy I haven't had hay fever since.

If you try it just be patient as it takes a few days to build up in your system.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:06 PM

894 posts, read 4,348,545 times
That used to be me....Sneezing so many times I just couldn't keep my head off the pillow. I found that eliminating sugar and processed foods was huge. See sugar eats up your immune system and the allergy is nothing more than an attach on your immune system. If it's weak then your body can't fight back.

I also found "douching" my nose with a nasal cup and solution helped. I also found "Oil of Oregano" found at the HFS is intense for helping. It is a natural anti-inflamatory, anit-bacterial, anti-biodic, anti everything. It has to be a good quality one. Tastes nasty, but oh so effective. Also, lots of Vitamin C and water.

Good luck, I feel your pain.

Last edited by ready2move; 05-09-2008 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-10-2008, 10:59 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Try taking 3,000 mg a day of Ester-C. It's helped my allergies tremendously. My understanding is as you get older, your immune system weakens, hence allergies. Once I started increasing my Vitamin C intake, my allergies disappeared! I no longer need my Nasacort or Allegra-D.

Ester-C absorbs in your system better because it uses bioflavinoids. Rutin (a bioflavanoid, that comes from the rind of citrus fruits-it's the white stuff you find on an orange after you peel it) also helps work as an anti-inflammatory agent.

What Is Rutin (http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Is-Rutin&id=82452 - broken link)

You might be surprised to find out that other ailments you could be suffering from may disappear with the use of Ester-C.

Old 05-10-2008, 01:08 PM

655 posts, read 916,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrie View Post
Try taking 3,000 mg a day of Ester-C. It's helped my allergies tremendously. My understanding is as you get older, your immune system weakens, hence allergies. Once I started increasing my Vitamin C intake, my allergies disappeared! I no longer need my Nasacort or Allegra-D.

Ester-C absorbs in your system better because it uses bioflavinoids. Rutin (a bioflavanoid, that comes from the rind of citrus fruits-it's the white stuff you find on an orange after you peel it) also helps work as an anti-inflammatory agent.

What Is Rutin (http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Is-Rutin&id=82452 - broken link)

You might be surprised to find out that other ailments you could be suffering from may disappear with the use of Ester-C.
Allergies are actually caused by an overactive immune system, not a weak one. The immune system is over reacting, thus the allergy attack.

I think the only answer are medications. Again, most folks have minor allergy symtoms such as a runny nose, or itchy eyes. My attacks are so bad I feel like death. Taking vitamin C is just not going to cut it.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
Allergies are actually caused by an overactive immune system, not a weak one. The immune system is over reacting, thus the allergy attack.

I think the only answer are medications. Again, most folks have minor allergy symtoms such as a runny nose, or itchy eyes. My attacks are so bad I feel like death. Taking vitamin C is just not going to cut it.
Have you ever tried it? Before you discount, try it, what have you got to loose? You should be taking vitamin C anyways. I wouldn't believe it had I not tried it myself. I was very sick, getting worse and worse and nothing was working. I felt pretty close to death myself, it was beyond a runny nose and itchy eyes, I couldn't even function. Finally, I started taking the C and it worked! It's such a simple solution, that people don't want to believe it. Who knows, maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but it wouldn't hurt you to try. It's a lot better than having to put a bunch of garbage into your system IMO. Give it a few months, it might not be a quick fix. I've been doing it for about 8 months down and I'm prescription free!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM

I just want to be clear for anyone who tries this....don't just use any type of Vitamin C, use Ester-C because it's a whole food supplement(bioflavanoids)-other Vitamin C brands can be synthetic and don't absorb in your system as well. Also, if you try it with synthetic Vitamin C, you run the risk of an allergic reaction( I broke out in hives). I purchased the Ester-C from Costco and it was pretty reasonable, somewhere around $13.85 a bottle for 300 tablets at 500mg for ea. tablet. It says it's stomach sensitive (non-acidic). I take two tablets with each meal (1000mg). I believe there are some other brands out there that are even better, but I've had excellent results with the brand Ester-C(blue bottle/orange label). The only side effects I've heard of is you can be prone to kidney stones from taking extra C, so it's advised to drink lots of water. Personally, I've had no problems with kidney stones, but just wanted to add that for an FYI in case someone has a history of them. Gradually work into 3000mg a day, otherwise you might get the runs. I'm no doctor, but this is what has worked for me. Google it and see what you can find out.

One thing I do notice is if I get sick with something else, sometimes some of my allergy symptoms start to come back. My guess is, my body is using the C to fight whatever is making me sick, and the allergies have to take a back seat. For example, I just had the flu...I noticed that even though I continued with the same amount of C, my sinitus started to kick in and I had an awful headache from it. So I took one of my old Allegra-D pills for the day and that seemed to remedy the problem. It was a last resort and had I not been so sick I would have refrained from taking it.

I hope this helps people like it has me. Nothing else was working for me and my allergies were getting so severe I was starting to get sinus infections. My head was so foggy, I couldn't breathe, I couldn't function, it was awful. I went back to tell my doctor about the "C" and he was like "wow, I'll have to do some research on that." Makes me mad that these doctors get paid big bucks and all they want to do is write prescriptions so they can make more money off of you .

So what it comes down to is, you can't patent a natural ingredient, so therefore you can't make any money off of it, so the doctor's won't recommend it. You know...I use to think that those practicing holistic approaches were quacks, because that's what society programmed you to think. NOW I know better, and the more I learn, I'm starting to think the doctors are the one's who are quacks because they don't have any problem prescribing something from Big Pharma, which is a bunch of synthetic garbage(IMO) that has a better chance of creating more problems for you down the road(again IMO) than a natural ingredient which can give you the benefit you're looking for without the risk. Start paying attention to the news.....notice how many prescriptions that once were just dandy to take, are now suddenly deadly and being pulled off the market???? Oh brother , don't even get me started on this topic.

Sorry for the rant, just trying to help people out here. Check out the link below and for those who are skeptical it might change your mind about the benefits of Vitamin C. If you have time Google Dr. Linus Pauling, who was a huge Vitamin C advocate (who's now deceased). This two-time Nobel Peace Prize recipient was/is on to something about the benefits of Vitamin C.

Vitamin C, Linus Pauling was right all along. A doctor's opinion

Ever wonder why animals don't get sick? Check this out, according to the article:

"Irwin Stone first introduced Pauling to vitamin C, and explained that it wasn't really a vitamin at all, but an essential substance we could no longer manufacture in our bodies. Most animals make their own vitamin C, in large amounts. In humans, the gene for this ability has mutated and no longer works properly"

I don't know about you all, but it's starting to make perfect sense.

You can also be given Vitamin C intravenously, it's suppose to be even more effective. I believe it's called Ascorbate. I know someone who is going to be trying this method to help repair damage to his legs. Anyways, I'd be curious to hear back from those who have tried this to see if it works for you too.

Travelmate38, I hope you try this with an open mind, I know it sounds absurd and so simple.... us humans, we have to complicate everything don't we, when low and behold it could be as simple as taking Vitamin C! Can't claim it works for everyone, but it's been quite the discovery for me. It also has anti-inflammatory benefits(thanks to ingredient Rutin) and since taking, I've noticed reductions in other aches and pains I've had, one of them being my sciatica nerve problem. Best of luck!

Last edited by Torrie; 05-12-2008 at 11:59 AM..

Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM

God, I love Google! One more interesting article to read about allergies that I just Googled that might be of help....

DoctorYourself.Com - Allergies

Notice this quote:

"Think about this: what would actually happen if everyone were actually healthy? If each person took vitamins? If doctors and hospitals and pharmaceuticals, all of which prosper from sickness, were not needed? In America, there is a vested interest in disease. There is no profit in prevention. "

Last edited by Torrie; 05-12-2008 at 01:51 PM..

Old 05-13-2008, 07:02 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,131,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelmate38 View Post
I'm talking an all out assault here. Usually it starts when I wake up with a few sneezes, . . .
Travelmate, I really feel your frustration. I started out with symptoms like yours 40 yrs. ago. I always had seasonal allergies, but I mean symptoms like yours where you just feel like doo-doo!

I started to notice that it ALWAYS happened when I was doing the dishes or scrubbing with my Playtex gloves on. Viola! I was allergic - and becoming more allergic - to latex.

I woke up in the morning with the runny nose, running itchy eyes, coughing, using an inhaler, etc. I slept on a latex pillow! Check your bedding. Your pillow or mattress may be latex.

Many people are allergic to latex because of over exposure. Many hospitals are going all latex free because of the potential latex allergy reactions.

Unfortunately, my allergies escalated from there due to autoimmune diseases, including lupus. I am not suggesting that you have lupus, but allergy is an autoimmune disease. Your body pumps out histamine when a certain allergen comes in contact with your body.

Some people, like myself, may have antibodies (which cause the release of the histamines) to their own organs. I must carry an epipen with me now because I am so allergic to most foods and many environmental allergens that cause me to become anaphyllatic. This is an extreme situation, but allergies are nothing to SNEEZE at.

Take care of yourself. Find out with an allergist just what you are allergic to (skin of RAST tests) and avoid that allergen. You will feel so much better and doing something good for your health. Nobody wants to feel yucky all the time and not know what is causing it.

I hope you find the culprit and can avoid it so you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies