Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2024, 08:09 AM

136 posts, read 160,118 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I moved to the Tampa Bay area about 5 months ago from Pittsburgh. I have been having problems with post nasal drip, sinus headaches, and various other symptoms since about mid November or so. I did not have any problems with allergies in Pittsburgh whatsoever. Had no sinus congestion, felt great the entire year.

I have lived in 10 different states and never had any allergy problems that I am aware of. The only time I had a problem was in Northern Nevada. I never got tested for allergies there but had major problems with sinus congestion, dizziness, and post nasal drip. I thought I had some mysterious illness most of the year but every dr said I was fine and just had sinus congestion. These problems all subsided immediately when I moved. Looking back, it looks like ragweed/sagebrush was probably my trigger.

I cannot afford an allergist at the moment. My husband recently had a huge hospital stay and along with recent dental costs, it is not possible now. I have been taking Claritin or Allegra daily and they have helped a lot especially with post nasal drip and a bit with sinus pressure.

Does anyone who has lived in Florida have any info on possible fall/winter allergies? Sources online all say different things as to when certain allergens begin and end. Some sources say ragweed goes from August-December and some say only September and October for instance. I have never had allergies in the fall/winter before and it has really ruined a lot of holidays and events this time of year for my family. Basically which allergens are predominate from October/November through January?

Symptoms

Post Nasal Drip - Extremely bad until starting Claritin.

Stuffy Nose

Sinus pressure - Lessened with Claritin. Worst on humid/overcast days/low barometric pressure

Headache behind eyes - mostly in morning until I drink coffee

Fatigue

Anxiety - Mostly gone with Claritin

Stiff joints - morning only

Wheezing

Mucus in throat/ Constantly needing to clear throat

Irritated eyes - occasional

Stuffy ears - occasional

Note I was fine here from May-September with very little in the way of congestion or any allergy symptoms. I did get some sinus headaches from the air conditioning but nothing major.

Thanks for any input. I would like to pinpoint the allergy until I can get in for allergy testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 02:25 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,799,167 times
If as you say it seems to relieve a lot of your symptoms, why not keep using the Claritin until you can arrange for your testing?

Quite a few articles about winter allergens possible in FL. Because of the warm climate the growing season for many plants lasts longer than farther north. Which means a much longer pollen season. Then there's mold...FL is a humid place. Just a few:

https://www.pollen.com/map/fl

https://www.heraldtribune.com/story/...o/72321377007/

https://www.allergytampa.com/

Not sure how helpful it would be to pinpoint a specific allergen before undergoing testing to find out the same thing. Your reaction to some allergen will still be your reaction whether you know its name or not. Especially if the trigger is something airborne and very difficult to avoid. Testing would also identify other sensitivities that might intensify your reaction to a major trigger. Your symptoms could be due to a combination of triggers, not just one.

One other thing to consider. Using an allergy symptom reliever could interfere with testing results because it suppresses your allergic response. If you set up an appointment for testing, the allergist may ask you to stop taking the Claritin some time in advance. Be sure to talk that over.

Old 02-18-2024, 05:10 PM

982 posts, read 522,520 times
The problem is that over time we acclimate to the allergens where we live. When we move to another part of the country, we have to do this all over again. Repeat as necessary if you move often. It's helpful to take a shower before going to bed, especially w/ washing your hair. Clothes will also be coated with the new pollen. A dehumidifier where you sleep will be helpful too.

Old 02-19-2024, 06:02 AM

3,432 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Supposedly, including LOCAL honey in your daily dietary regimen is helpful. You can find it at any craft fair and most farmers markets. Just make sure to check with the seller that the hives are somewhere in Southwestern or Central Florida.

No idea if it works. I still have honey from the apiary three miles away from my previous home in Connecticut.

Allergies down here are mostly pollen, and if you live near the beach, there are also tiny silica particles that float around from the sand that gets into your nose. Short of wearing a mask all the time, there's really nothing you can do about it until/unless your body just gets used to it.

I'm in Central Florida, we have horrible pollen, and my nose runs all day, every day, all year. I snort fluonase every night at bedtime just so I can breathe when I'm laying down in bed.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:18 PM

I don't think the science stands up on local honey helping you w/ sinus issues. No one I know who tried it had any luck. In Florida, something (or everything) is flowering nearly year round. You either get used to it over time, or not. It helps a lot to keep the pillow cases washed and changed out regularly, the furniture wiped down w/ damp washcloths, and you should take a shower when you come in from outside. If you have carpet, oh boy. Vacuum it often for sure. Try not to put your hands around your face outside, especially around the eyes. I used to wake up in Daytona Beach and see pollen over everything in the carport most mornings.

Old Today, 11:00 AM

Things got worse for you because at home you had acclimated to the plants there. Moving to Florida put you in contact w/ different plants. Once you get acclimated to Florida's plants (and that could take a short time or until the earth freezes over), no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies