Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,659 times

Advertisements

i started noticing that i was having weird intestinal issues after my daily sandwich a few months ago and suspected the tomato. a couple of weeks ago, i sliced some fresh tomatoes and my fingers got burn-like hives. then last night, i ate a raw tomato and hours later started experiencing severe acid indigestion. about a half an hour later i started vomiting and diarrhea. it lasted a few hours until i got it all out of my system, but i am staying far away from raw tomatoes from now on! and too bad, i love them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,455 times
Hi all,
Another new face, and another new resource for allergy/intolerance sufferers.
My name is David and I am intolerant to tomatoes. My daughter is also intolerant to tomatoes and so I have found Moderator cut: too new to make specific recs, need at least 10 other posts to help people with the same condition.
My mission is get gather together as much information as possible on the topic of tomato allergy and intolerance in order to help people like me.
You can find information on tomato allergy/intolerance, free allergy printables for kids, and find out where to buy Moderator cut: same as above

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 07-27-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 08-20-2011, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,355 times
I've had an allergy to tomato soup and juice since childhood. Definitely an allergy...my face balloons up so much I'm unable to open my eyes and I've stayed out of contact with both since my early 20's. I haven't been able to figure out why only those two products and not sauce, salsa, etc. I've also discovered a have a contact allergy to tomato plants and need to thoroughly wash with soap and water immediately after contact or I break out in hives within 15 minutes of contact. Thankfully, I don't exhibit an allergy to fresh tomatoes...I love my tomato sandwiches in the summer. But it leaves me wondering why only tomato juice and soup?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,199 times
I have read many of these posts, but this is what I have. When I eat anything with tomato in or on it, I start feeling "strange" then within 24 hours my bowel movement shows that my intestines are swollen, the fecal matter is very thin and flat. It takes several days for it to return to normal. My mouth starts to feel like I just put a drop of tabasco in it, when I eat tomato. I have to read the labels on everything. I have found that Many products have tomato in them. So what is this? how do I fix it, I read labels to deal with it. I really do miss tomatos.

Old 10-12-2011, 05:31 AM

1 posts, read 5,184 times
even washing my hands right after touchingthem doesnt help.it didnt happen for a long time either.just started one day.nothing stops the itch

Old 10-19-2011, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,137 times
I have a whole bunch of sensitivities to fresh fruits and recently to tomatoes. According to my allergist, the molecular structure of a fresh tomato is similar to that of grass. As I am very allergic to grass pollen, the sensitivity to the fresh tomotoes fits in. Cooking a vegetable or fruit alters its structure, such that the sensitivity can go away. Other fruits like apples or pitted fruits are like birch tree pollen, on a molecular level. Since I am allergic to birch trees, I cannot eat a fresh apple, etc. Apple pie - OK. Very annoying, but at least there is an explanation. All of this sensitivity started past 30 years of age. The tomato thing started a week ago and I'm 45! For me, the reaction is all in my throat - difficult to breath - and the projection is that it will get worse with each occurance of eating the culprits. Avoidance is key! Hope this helps someone else.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 5,061 times
Ms. Rubytue,
I have a similar problem.
However, when I eat the small red tomatoes, patatoes, and others, I do not have a problem. It is only with products from the normal red versions. I haven't tired green or yellow ones yet. I've been tied up with other experiments.
What we have is an intolerance, not an allergy, to tomatoes. More than likely, if we had a true allergy, we would start with symptoms of AS right off, and it could get fatal. Istead, we have problems like acid reflux, upset stomach, vomiting, and so on. These could be caused by histimines in the plant, or even it's seeds. In my case, I'm thinking it is connected to the acid level in the foods, since it doesn't happen with others types of tomatoes.
If you're brave enough, you could try the smaller Rubies, to see if they bother you also. If you have no problems with patatoes, then it may not be all of the Nightshade species. Or, if you like suffering (in the form of pin pricks and wallet shock), you could visit a doctor and have the allergy tests done. However, I doubt if s/he will be able to give you much more information other than to avoid them or give you a medicine to ease the problem (but add side-effects).
I currently have a minor trick to allow some foods with this product. Pizza that has set over night is OK for me, but fresh can cause problems. If I have more bread or other foods, and less tomatoes, then I don't have the same problems. At worst, lesser symptoms.
I plan on making a home-made paste from the Rubies and see if I have the same problems. However, this is impractical for most people who have to work and care for a family. It is possible that there are products out there, even outside the US, that we can eat, that is set up for people with our problems. Simply put, the US is worried about money and there aren't enough of us, who are rich enough, to justify them making rare food products.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,252 times
I have always thought I might be allergic to tomatoes because they made my mouth hurt sometimes. Well yesterday that was pretty much confirmed. I like Carne Asada Tacos with fresh tomatoes, onions and cilantro. My mouth always just hurt after eating a fresh tomato and my hands itch badly when I handle them or potatoes. I always just thought it was the acid or starch making them itch. Never really connected it all until I had a bad reaction and had to take Benadryl. After eating last night, my stomach bloated out and I looked like I was five months pregnant, my hands, feet and face swelled and my joints hurt. That was when my step-mom fed me 3 Benadryl. By the time the Benadryl started working, I was starting to also have mild breathing issues. Thank God she figured out I was having an allergic reaction or I could have ended up in the hospital. I can eat processed tomatoes just fine, but I am now scared to drink my favorite V-8 juice. ::cry::

footnote: I also have the itching problem with pineapple when I cut up and eat a fresh one. My hands and mouth itch, my mouth hurts. So far I have not had the stomach/bowel issues others have had, thank my lucky stars. I will be paying closer attention from now on.

another note: these reactions can continue, I just started going back into the reaction. It has been about 12 hours, I figure the Benadryl wore off, now my face and hands are swelling again and my eyes are itching. Time for more Benadryl .

Last edited by Sherilyn001; 12-09-2012 at 01:30 PM.. Reason: to add to and correct spelling

Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 4,219 times
I have a tomato allergy and found its really hard to cook and eat out without tomato product. Check out my blog, STINKY TOMATO, for recipes and delicious non-tomato substitutes!
www.stinkytomato.com

Old 12-21-2012, 03:32 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,636 times
I have it too...it's called oral allergy syndrome. It's not going to progress into anaphylaxis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies