Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 03:49 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been able to safely take Bactrim and then the next time you took it had an allergic reaction?

Earlier in the week I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a UTI and within an hour of my first pill broke out in hives, severe itching, lips began to tingle and swell, required a trip to the ER and benadryl to calm it down. I have taken this drug before and never had an issue. Needless to say I won't be taking it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 04:28 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Has anyone been able to safely take Bactrim and then the next time you took it had an allergic reaction?

Earlier in the week I was prescribed Bactrim DS for a UTI and within an hour of my first pill broke out in hives, severe itching, lips began to tingle and swell, required a trip to the ER and benadryl to calm it down. I have taken this drug before and never had an issue. Needless to say I won't be taking it again.

It may be time to visit or re-visit an Allergist;
Yes this can happen with any medication, Bactrim has sulfamethoxazole, you may be allergic to sulfur, there is no sure way to know except getting tested
you're smart by not repeating this treatment, you will need to have it flagged
in your medical records as a possible know allergy, as to prevent a healthcare
provider from prescribing similar drugs, and make your pharmacist aware as well your doctor.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:51 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,938,417 times
You can become allergic to ANYTHING at ANY TIME in your life.

Old 06-05-2009, 05:02 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
I took it for about a week, then stopped because my skin had developed a subtle flush all over which was only obvious when I realized that certain old scars (normally not visible) were outlined in fuschia. I felt a mild but annoying itching too deep to scratch. I'm glad that my reaction wasn't too severe.

Old 06-05-2009, 07:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 8,281,758 times
with all of the recalls and errors with drugs by some pharmaceutical companies
does anyone here think that there may be some batches of pills that may have more of one
chemical than should be like Tylenol with codeine for example, mabye a mistake in putting too
much of one ingredient can cause anything from an allergic reaction to more severe reactions
I'm curious as to how things work in terms of quality control.
There are way too many recalls and deaths on medicines, what are they doing in there?

This is an example that gives me the "creeps"

AS Medications Solution LLC. Announces a Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Digoxin Tablets 0.25mg Due to Size Variability

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Libertyville, IL, May 11, 2009 – A S Medication Solutions, LLC, a drug repackage company, announced today that all tablets of Caraco brand Digoxin, USP, 0.25 mg, distributed prior to March 31, 2009, which are not expired and are within the expiration date of August, 2011, are being voluntarily recalled to the consumer level. The tablets are being recalled because they may differ in size and therefore could have more or less of the active ingredient, digoxin. Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, Ltd manufactured the recalled tablets. This recall is being conducted with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Digoxin is a drug product used to treat heart failure and abnormal heart rhythms. It has a narrow therapeutic index and the existence of higher than labeled dose may pose a risk of digoxin toxicity in patients with renal failure. Digoxin toxicity can cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness, low blood pressure, cardiac instability, and slow heart rate. Death can also result from excessive digoxin intake. A lower than labeled dose may pose a risk of heart failure and abnormal heart rhythms.. Consequently, as a precautionary measure, A S Medication Solutions, LLC is recalling these tablets to the consumer level to minimize any potential risk to patients.

Consumers with the products with the following NDC codes that are within expiration should return these products to the place of purchase.

Product Identification
Caraco Digoxin
A-S Medication Solutions, Digoxin 0.25 mg is a scored round biconvex white tablet imprinted with “441”
NDC Numbers:
Digoxin Tablets, USP, 0.25 mg
54569-5758-0 (30-count)
Patients using A-S Medication Solutions, Digoxin tablets, USP, 0.25 mg, who have medical questions should contact their healthcare provider for additional instructions or guidance.
Healthcare providers who have this product should return the product to their place of purchase. Healthcare providers can call A-S Medication Solutions Recall Coordinator at (847) 680-3515, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. CST, for instructions on how to return the affected product or for any other inquiries related to this action.

Any adverse reactions experienced with the use of all affected product, and/or quality problems should also be reported to the FDA's MedWatch Program by phone at 1-800-FDA-1088, by Fax at 1-800-FDA-0178, by mail at Med Watch, FDA, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20852-9787, or on the MedWatch website at MedWatch: The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
with all of the recalls and errors with drugs by some pharmaceutical companies
does anyone here think that there may be some batches of pills that may have more of one
chemical than should be like Tylenol with codeine for example, mabye a mistake in putting too
much of one ingredient can cause anything from an allergic reaction to more severe reactions
I'm curious as to how things work in terms of quality control.
There are way too many recalls and deaths on medicines, what are they doing in there?

This is an example that gives me the "creeps"

AS Medications Solution LLC. Announces a Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Digoxin Tablets 0.25mg Due to Size Variability

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Libertyville, IL, May 11, 2009 – A S Medication Solutions, LLC, a drug repackage company, announced today that all tablets of Caraco brand Digoxin, USP, 0.25 mg, distributed prior to March 31, 2009, which are not expired and are within the expiration date of August, 2011, are being voluntarily recalled to the consumer level. The tablets are being recalled because they may differ in size and therefore could have more or less of the active ingredient, digoxin. Caraco Pharmaceutical Laboratories, Ltd manufactured the recalled tablets. This recall is being conducted with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Digoxin is a drug product used to treat heart failure and abnormal heart rhythms. It has a narrow therapeutic index and the existence of higher than labeled dose may pose a risk of digoxin toxicity in patients with renal failure. Digoxin toxicity can cause nausea, vomiting, dizziness, low blood pressure, cardiac instability, and slow heart rate. Death can also result from excessive digoxin intake. A lower than labeled dose may pose a risk of heart failure and abnormal heart rhythms.. Consequently, as a precautionary measure, A S Medication Solutions, LLC is recalling these tablets to the consumer level to minimize any potential risk to patients.

Consumers with the products with the following NDC codes that are within expiration should return these products to the place of purchase.

Product Identification
Caraco Digoxin
A-S Medication Solutions, Digoxin 0.25 mg is a scored round biconvex white tablet imprinted with “441â€
NDC Numbers:
Digoxin Tablets, USP, 0.25 mg
54569-5758-0 (30-count)
Patients using A-S Medication Solutions, Digoxin tablets, USP, 0.25 mg, who have medical questions should contact their healthcare provider for additional instructions or guidance.
Healthcare providers who have this product should return the product to their place of purchase. Healthcare providers can call A-S Medication Solutions Recall Coordinator at (847) 680-3515, Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. CST, for instructions on how to return the affected product or for any other inquiries related to this action.

Any adverse reactions experienced with the use of all affected product, and/or quality problems should also be reported to the FDA's MedWatch Program by phone at 1-800-FDA-1088, by Fax at 1-800-FDA-0178, by mail at Med Watch, FDA, 5600 Fishers Lane, Rockville, MD 20852-9787, or on the MedWatch website at MedWatch: The FDA Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program.
This is very thought provoking. My big deal was I took the exact same medicine in Dec for the same thing and never had a reaction. But like someone said it can change at any given time.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:40 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
I had a reaction to Bactrim the first day I took it. My mouth and tongue developed a severe rash and sores that felt like I had been burnt. The doctor told me I had a reaction to this medicine, and never to take it again or other sulphur based Meds.

It is listed in all my medical records that I am allergic to it. I found thru the years I developed other allergies to some Meds but not others. I am even allergic to Asprin and that gives me the most severe reaction of all.

Be very cautious with Meds. Sometimes even when you tell a doctor you are allergic to a Med, they prescribe something similiar but slightly different ingredients. That happened to me with Naproxen which contains asprin. The pharmacist told me I would probably have a reaction to it and did not recommend I take it. I took it anyway and had a reaction to it simply because it contained asprin. I felt why would my doctor prescribe it to me knowing I was allergic to asprin, so in my mind I felt he must know what he is doing. Sadly many of them really are quite cavalier in what they prescribe patients. I trust the Pharmacist much more than many doctors now.

Good Luck and I am sure a more suitable Med can be prescribed for you.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:49 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,830 times
Sulfa drugs are some of the more common drugs people develop allergies to. Just tell your doc and pharmacist you had a reaction to it and they will avoid drugs that are chemically similar to it.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I had a reaction to Bactrim the first day I took it. My mouth and tongue developed a severe rash and sores that felt like I had been burnt. The doctor told me I had a reaction to this medicine, and never to take it again or other sulphur based Meds.

It is listed in all my medical records that I am allergic to it. I found thru the years I developed other allergies to some Meds but not others. I am even allergic to Asprin and that gives me the most severe reaction of all.

Be very cautious with Meds. Sometimes even when you tell a doctor you are allergic to a Med, they prescribe something similiar but slightly different ingredients. That happened to me with Naproxen which contains asprin. The pharmacist told me I would probably have a reaction to it and did not recommend I take it. I took it anyway and had a reaction to it simply because it contained asprin. I felt why would my doctor prescribe it to me knowing I was allergic to asprin, so in my mind I felt he must know what he is doing. Sadly many of them really are quite cavalier in what they prescribe patients. I trust the Pharmacist much more than many doctors now.

Good Luck and I am sure a more suitable Med can be prescribed for you.
I have always trusted the pharmacists more than the doctors. And they did ask me as the pharmacy but since I had never had a reaction before noone knew. All to often I think dr's don't research enough on the meds they prescribe. One example is Levaquin, it has been black boxed by the FDA for causing tendon ruptures, my hubby and I lift weights everyday and lift heavy, we go to a husband/wife doctor team, the husband told my hubby point blank to never let anyone prescribe any meds in this family to him, yet the wife tells me she has never had anyone have a tendon rupture that she prescribed it to. I told her point blank I would not take and don't bother prescribing it to me. I usually do alot of my own research when given new meds.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:37 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,938 times
There are more and more doctors that look at your chart but not SEE it. I bring ALL prescriptions home and research them BEFORE I ever get them filled. I am Miss Side Effects Queen and whatever is the worst side effect you can have with a drug, I am going to have... I am not allergic to any drugs that I know of but the side effects are what knocks me down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies