Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:30 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
SWB ... i can't answer for you on that but i know for me when i eat oats i react to them just like wheat as my intestines burn and i get bad canker sores in my mouth so i stay away from them.
Individuals vary. I hear you. Lacking a diaganosis (after doctors have run out of ideas for what to check), I try to let my body dictate what it can handle and what it doesn't like. That's sound advice.

Thanks, 6/3. You always have good input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I have a lot of allergies.
I am allergic to dairy and shellfish, nickel, iodine, imaging contrast, trees, pollen, dust.

My diarrhea and gut pain have increased, so I eliminated all grains from my diet, because grains are grasses.

Everything, ALL OF THE SYMPTOMS, went away. The constant gut pain. The constant horrid diarrhea. The shaking. The fatigue. I felt like a million bucks. I told my doctor and he sent me to a gastroenterologist.

He said it can't be the wheat.

So I went back to eating wheat again, and within one hour of eating a hamburger bun, bingo, I am having problems again. After 3 days of wheat, I am so sick. 12 trips to the bathroom in one morning. Shaking. Cramps, feeling awful. It's ALL back.

The gastro wants to scope me both ends. How can this be cancer? Cancer isn't responsive to dietary changes like that. And, if I had cancer, I have had it for decades. I have had this gut problem for a long long time, and it got worse.

I don't think I am a celiac, because I don't look like one, they have malabsorption problems, and I am chunky. Besides, there are food allergies in my family, not celiac. Celiac disease is not an allergy, although it involves the immune system.

If I have other allergies, and my family has allergies, why won't he even go down that road?

( I work in medicine, so I don't want to hear any hokey stuff. I know docs order a lot of tests to keep their places at hospitals, but I don't think he is a bad doc. I just don't think they know allergies can be this bad...)

Should I cancel the invasive scoping and biopsies of my small and large bowels? (There is no known colon cancer in my family.)

Should I just take matters in my own hands, since I can't go to another doc without my insurance company approving and my family doc setting up another consult???
order the $369 test from this place https://www.enterolab.com/Home.htm (broken link)...it's the best in the country...my doctor just had me do it and I have both the gluten sensitivty gene and the celiac gene. I am also on the heavier side but it showed that I had fairly severe malabsorbtion.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:57 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
Celiac is fairly new on the general radar including for doctors. I would say that if you are having the reaction you describe to gluten then you do in fact have celiac disease which is an allergy to gluten.

My son starting suffering in his early 20's which is the usual age, no symptoms ever before that, and I had to do intensive research for years before I accidently stumbled on the cause in some obscure article. Since then we've been pushing for more media attention to get the word out as many others were also suffering without resolution.

The good news is that if you find out what specifically you can eat and can't you will have little trouble. (Check toothpaste and soy sauce brands for instance) It's not unusual for celiacs to also have crohn's disease, same symptoms, which is much more serious and difficult to assuage.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:34 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
I was just reading this about a study at the U of Ottawa where the scientists there tested people with type-I diabete's and found that nearly half produced an abnormal response to wheat protein (gluten). Their take is that exposure to wheat at an early age coulld produce type-I diabete's.

Type-I diabete's linked to immune response to wheat - Life Extension Daily News

Old 09-14-2009, 10:16 AM

One more thing I meant to mention, once you get off the gluten (if it's a problem for you and I suspect it is) you will be amazed at how some of your other troubles/symptoms start to go away. It does take 8 months for gluten to get completely out of your system, and stop the immune response, and it's this response that could be creating the dairy and inhalant allergies for you. Sea food and iodine are most likely the same allergy as sea food contains iodine. I also have this allergy so perhaps it is quite common with gluten sensitivity.

Getting off wheat stopped many of my joint pains I have and even took away some shortness or breath. I strongly urge you to try it. (They now believe that gluten sensitivity could be the cause of fibrmyalgia and even MS so it is important to get off it if you are sensitive).

Entero Labs (mentioned in my earlier post) is also including the dairy test free right now so you can see where you are with it. Mine showed a slight problem that was most likely related to the gluten problems...all I had to do was go off it for 6 weeks.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:19 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
I would get you on a strong regime of anti oxidants, vitamins, and aloe since conventional medicine is not helping.
"but that's just me"

Old 09-14-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
One more thing I meant to mention, once you get off the gluten (if it's a problem for you and I suspect it is) you will be amazed at how some of your other troubles/symptoms start to go away. It does take 8 months for gluten to get completely out of your system, and stop the immune response, and it's this response that could be creating the dairy and inhalant allergies for you. Sea food and iodine are most likely the same allergy as sea food contains iodine. I also have this allergy so perhaps it is quite common with gluten sensitivity.

Getting off wheat stopped many of my joint pains I have and even took away some shortness or breath. I strongly urge you to try it. (They now believe that gluten sensitivity could be the cause of fibrmyalgia and even MS so it is important to get off it if you are sensitive).

Entero Labs (mentioned in my earlier post) is also including the dairy test free right now so you can see where you are with it. Mine showed a slight problem that was most likely related to the gluten problems...all I had to do was go off it for 6 weeks.
By the way, I have no affiliation whatsoever with Entero Labs other than that I did their test....my doc says it's the only useful one in the country.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:18 AM

332 posts, read 1,430,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Celiac is fairly new on the general radar including for doctors. I would say that if you are having the reaction you describe to gluten then you do in fact have celiac disease which is an allergy to gluten.

My son starting suffering in his early 20's which is the usual age, no symptoms ever before that, and I had to do intensive research for years before I accidently stumbled on the cause in some obscure article. Since then we've been pushing for more media attention to get the word out as many others were also suffering without resolution.

The good news is that if you find out what specifically you can eat and can't you will have little trouble. (Check toothpaste and soy sauce brands for instance) It's not unusual for celiacs to also have crohn's disease, same symptoms, which is much more serious and difficult to assuage.
Just wanted to ditto this... Though I fake healthy well, I've been a consistently sick human since I was just a few years old. In 3rd grade, I tested 4/5 (on a scale of 5) for over 100 of the 125 items they tested. They re-tested, because hell, who is severely allergic to everything everywhere... and it turns out, I am, that's who!!

One of those was wheat... it had a 5... and I remember thinking my whole life, what kind of a loser is allergic to wheat? That sucks. Ha.

Well, being a rebellious and unconcerned child, I refused medicines and shots (despite being prescribed a regimen of 3 shots per week and 4 meds and one inhaler per day) and I just took PRN meds as I became too ill to function.

Fast forward to late teens and I became very ill. Eventually diagnosed with lupus and lumped every new problem under that umbrella... until the last several years when I remembered back to all of those early allergy tests. Started experimenting with my foods... changed diet and MANY of the symptoms I'd attributed to lupus.

Not all, mind you, still a lot of muscular and joint issues, but even with those, I just felt better... and I definitely pooped better. Ha. I re-visited the allergist in 08 and continue to be so allergic that less than 24 hours after receiving the shots/scratches, I was puking in a chick fil a parking lot with the worst migraine of my entire life.

I'm just now hardcore about removing wheat from my diet because I have to... my intestines shut down if I eat too much of it. Literally, a serving of pasta will give me horrible cramps and no "movement" for a few days. If I were to eat bread the way I used to, my goodness, I can't even imagine...

The bright side for anyone else facing this challenge, if it gets bad enough, your body will NOT crave wheat anymore. I'm literally disgusted by it and think twice before putting things in my mouth. My fave food in the world used to be lasagna... sadly, one bite is about all I can handle now

Ok, rambling, ironically, I'm sick now... we all have that swine flu crap, confirmed, literally 7 people in my family have it and it's pretty miserable but survivable... only one of us is actually admitted to the hospital.

Good luck fellow wheat-allergic folks! It sucks doesn't it... ugh. Feel better soon!!

Old 09-16-2009, 01:25 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,521,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformationPlease View Post
Just wanted to ditto this... Though I fake healthy well, I've been a consistently sick human since I was just a few years old.<>
Holy Cra&! You really are in a hole, eh? My experience (well, prejudice, really, but based on what I have learned) is your best hope is high dosages of vitamins and anti-oxidant nutritional products like OPC-3 in the Isotonix form. I have known some people with some of what you have described who have benefited from these. Search the net and find a distributor near you.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:21 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
But I don't have celiac disease in my family. My family has wheat, egg, peanut, milk, and asthma.

I have dairy allergy.

It makes no sense to bark up the celiac tree first.
I realize this is an old post, but thought I'd add some info.

My wife has celiac, diagnosed 5 years ago. Positive blood tests and biopsy. She was scoped both ends. The Dr. made her eat a diet with wheat in it for a couple weeks prior to testing (which she hated btw...) Her symptoms are very strong. Someone in her family line must have it, but they aren't exhibiting obvious symptoms, and none of them have been tested. It affects each individual differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
What a worthless food, soy. Anyone who thinks it's good needs to read more. It's all there in black and white.

The worst part is the phytoestrogens. (what man wants boobs?)
Yeah, soy is highly over-rated imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies