Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 05:07 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Yes. I had a reaction so bad I had to go on antibiotics. The lymph nodes in my scalp got infected and I didn't even know there were lymph nodes in my scalp! This was from a salon color and I'm parly to blame because I was having escallating reactions each time I had it done, while it was still on my head I could feel it burning, and just tried to ignore it until it blew up on me.

I went several years without using a commercial dye while using a henna mixture to keep a little color on my hair. About a year ago I bought a box dye at the drug store and did the 24 hour allergy test and didn't have a reaction. Since then I've been using Nice N Easy every couple of months without a problem but I ALWAYS do the allergy test first and try to keep the dye off my scalp as much as possible by using a brush applicator at the roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 26,329 times
Default sympathy for the hair dye allergy

Big hugs to you for the agony you're in. I went through a particularly bad series of hair dye jobs, which resulted in unbreable itching (to the point wher I scrathched so hard I bled!) then my face got swollen around the hairline, my ear lobes were swollen. I was a mess. I can't belive that our government has not followed Europe in banning PPD from these hair dyes.
I read that some people have even died from bad allergic reactions to hair dyes: Moderator cut: too new, read TOS
if you don't get better, you really should see a doctor in case you are like me and you are particularly sensitive to PPD's.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-01-2010 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
I had a severe reaction to salon hair color in February. I had been experiencing some burning during application and itching with sores for a couple of months. But in February all heck broke loose. I had been coloring for over 20 years. This was not a new hair color being used on me.

According to my dermatologist, there are many ingredients in hair color which can cause a serious reaction whether it contains PPD or not. And someone can have an allergic reaction to any one of them suddenly, even after years of coloring using the same product.

Her advice to me was to stop coloring, which I did. The last thing I wanted was to end up in the ER with anaphylactic shock.

My hair is now a beautiful white and I receive more compliments than I ever did on my colored hair.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 PM

293 posts, read 1,035,402 times
I can't use reg. hair color. I use non ammonia and do fine. Before that, I would get itchy and the scalp would burn.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:25 PM

3 posts, read 78,852 times
Default Re: ever had a hair dye allergy

I am curious to those who posted re: your hair dye allergy. Has it resolved for you? I am in 6 weeks now and still the allergy is in full force. I have done antihistamine, prednisone, and a kenalog shot of which have not worked. I am now getting rashes on my elbows, is this common? I would love to hear a story from someone who's gotten through this. I will never dye my hair again. Sooo not worth it. Thanks ahead for your feedback...alice

Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 PM

2,222 posts, read 10,646,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice821 View Post
I am curious to those who posted re: your hair dye allergy. Has it resolved for you? I am in 6 weeks now and still the allergy is in full force. I have done antihistamine, prednisone, and a kenalog shot of which have not worked. I am now getting rashes on my elbows, is this common? I would love to hear a story from someone who's gotten through this. I will never dye my hair again. Sooo not worth it. Thanks ahead for your feedback...alice
I didn't have as severe reaction as you. But I knew if I kept coloring, it was going to get worse. I got through most of it after about a month or so. I read on the Internet that it can take quite awhile to get over the reaction. Part of the reason being that even though you are no longer coloring, the color is still on your hair which touches your scalp, face and neck (skin). Whether that's true, I don't know. But my dermatologist did tell me hair color allergies on are the rise. Reason unknown at this time.

I was unwilling to cut my hair off extremely short. Even now after 8 months with trims every 6 weeks, I still have a lot to grow out before I would cut the colored part off. So I just keep it up in a bun and all you see is white hair (from the front).

I hope you get through this soon. I have heard it can be awful for some.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Hair Dye Allergy

Hello,
I am replying to your post re: your hair dye allergy. I see its been a couple years and wonder how things panned out for you. I had my hair dyed 6 weeks ago and am in the throws. Prednisone, antihistamines, miserable! I am finding not many MD's are knowledgeable about this. For example they gave me a steroid cream with paraben in it. Hmm..Anyway I am wondering what worked and/or how long it took. And if anyone happens to know any derms/allergist knowleadgeable about this in Orlando, FL. I am trying another antihistamine today, lets pray!

Warmly,
Alice

Old 10-05-2010, 12:54 PM

OOPS, thank you for your reply! I sent a second one before I ready, Thank you again!!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 26,041 times
Default Alice wondered if you found anyone in orlando to help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice821 View Post
Hello,
I am replying to your post re: your hair dye allergy. I see its been a couple years and wonder how things panned out for you. I had my hair dyed 6 weeks ago and am in the throws. Prednisone, antihistamines, miserable! I am finding not many MD's are knowledgeable about this. For example they gave me a steroid cream with paraben in it. Hmm..Anyway I am wondering what worked and/or how long it took. And if anyone happens to know any derms/allergist knowleadgeable about this in Orlando, FL. I am trying another antihistamine today, lets pray!

Warmly,
Alice
I am not sure how to post, but I have had the same problem twice now. once last year when I tried to go darker blonde, to cover gray. I went to Heathrow dermtologist, they did not really think it was the hair dye. So after a few months, did temp colors. Then they discontinued the temp color I was using. Had a delayed reation from Blasom, color a week after coloring. I was starting to think it was the water, until I went to a salon and had Rusk and then another reaction. I went to a naturalist in Altamonte, gave me some natural remedys, but still itching. Then went to Women GYN here in Lake Mary and had hormone testing and predisone, still no answers. I am now looking for a Dermatologist or allergist in Orlando . FL that can test me and help me. Lots of money, still no answers....anyone know of knowledgeable about this....and Organic, does not mean...PDD or reaction free..... just FYI - please make sure your stylist, patch test you every time, since this can come up at any time....

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I read in a magazine that if you are sensitive to hair dye, add two packets of Sweet and Low and a 1/4 cup of skim milk to the solution before applying it. I took the article to my salon, and all the stylists knew about this trick already. I have been bothered by an itchy scalp every time I have color done, but when my stylist added the Sweet and Low, my scalp did not have the normal bad reaction. The itchiness was much less, and went away completely the first time I shampooed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies