Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:58 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,469 times

Advertisements

Can I be allergic or "sensitive" to port wine? Not all wines-just port?

This is unbelievable. I moved to Phoenix September 2007. Had Christmas dinner over my younger sister's 2007, 2008 and now 2009. EVERY YEAR I get violently ill after Christmas dinner either by the time I leave her house or get home (and she only lives a few miles away). And I mean violently ill. It basically sends both sides of my insides coming out both ends if you know what I mean. I have never been that wretching kind of ill any other time-but it happens EVERY Christmas. Lasts a couple hours-then I am fine.

I know it isn't her water-I have been at her house numerous times and NOT been ill. It is just at Christmas dinners I get ill. So it has to be something specific to the Christmas meal. I also know it isn't anything "in" her house. I have been to her house many many times and even overnight, but only on Christmas I get ill.

Since it has been 3 years, I tried to figure out what ingredients all 3 years had in common that I don't "typically" eat or drink. And all I can narrow it down to is the port (which is an ingredient in her cranberry sauce that she does every year-I know it isnt the cranberries because I eat cranberries often) or maybe king crab legs (we have had crab legs all 3 years)? My first thought was maybe the port was still the same bottle and had gone bad-but I am the only one who gets ill so I dont think that is the case.

I've had king crab legs before, so I don't think it is a seafood allergy. And I do drink wine, but typically never port (I am more a zinfandel person). Which is what leads me to suspect the port. And it has to be something that would pass through fairly quickly within a few hours since I get violently ill for a few hours and then am fine.

Can I be allergic or sensitive or whatever to whatever grapes they use to make port? Other wines don't affect me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
I do not know what port your sister has, but in general there is nothing unique about most any port she would cook with. True port is a fortified wine, produced in a solera, sort of a cascade of barrels which are topped up every few years. I have seen port wine for sale in the $200 a bottle range that was partly made of wine more than 100 years old.
She is probably cooking with a fortified red wine (brandy added) maybe from Spain or Portugal. probably not aged in oak casks.
So there would not be anything unique to this dish that would trigger such allergic reactions. Anything that strong I would expect to see cause you to experience difficulty breathing.
Maybe you should see a doctor. . . or a family counselor.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:54 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
Well, hush my mouth, I did some research and found this:
Wine allergies « Nobody Knows Anything
"Man, I so did not even know wine allergies existed."

It sounds like their symptoms are mostly mild or just annoying, unlike your experiences. You should hook up with them.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
My sister is allergic to preservatives that are in wine.

Food or drink allergies don't usually present as diarrhea and vomiting. It's usually a rash all over your body and swelling of your mouth and lips.

Your symptoms are more like food poisoning.

My bet is that it's the crab legs. Your sister might prepare them wrong---leaving them out too long, not cooking enough, etc.

If it is a true allergy, you can develop an allergy to anything, anytime. It doesn't matter that you've never had an allergic reaction to crab legs in the past.

6 months ago, I had an almost deadly reaction to and tuna and fruit salad. I was in the hospital 4 times within a week. Steroids via IV barely kept me alive.

To this day, I don't know if it was the tuna or the fruits (honeydew, water mellon, cantelope, pineapple, etc.). Everything I've eaten in the past without problems!

I was supposed to get a food allergy blood test but my doctor wrote the prescription wrong and the lab wanted it rewritten. I'll get a new one at my next appointment.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:51 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,469 times
Quote:
. . . or a family counselor.
Excuse me?

Quote:
My sister is allergic to preservatives that are in wine....If it is a true allergy, you can develop an allergy to anything, anytime. It doesn't matter that you've never had an allergic reaction to crab legs in the past.
Interesting. Thanks! Sorry to hear about your being in the hospital Hopes.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
. . . or a family counselor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Excuse me?
I think that was meant as a joke---like your sister is purposely poisoning you.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:29 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Port wine is different than regular wine. They add a grape aguardente. You can develop a shellfish allergy at any time in your life though. Look at the types of grapes used in different wines. It could just be the grape, a natural mite allergy or chemicals used in the region the grape is grown.

Old 12-26-2009, 07:48 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
Your symptoms sound like food poisioning. I've gotten food poisining a few times and it comes on pretty quickly, like you've described.

I hate to say it but I probably wouldn't go there again for dinner!

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-26-2009 at 08:03 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 10:29 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,042,517 times
I started remembering when I'd had food poisoning in the past and was trying to remember how long it lasted... it seems like I was sick for a couple of days when I had it.

Once a whole group of people got sick from some steaks we ate at a Christmas party. That was food poisoning.

Anyway, here are some links to a Mayo Clinic site that has information and symptoms for food poisoning, alcohol intolerance, food allergies and other things that could cause your symptoms.

Alcohol allergy: Is there such a thing? - MayoClinic.com

Shellfish allergy - MayoClinic.com

Food poisoning - MayoClinic.com

Food poisoning: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Food intolerance vs. food allergy: What's the difference? - MayoClinic.com

Old 12-26-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Once a whole group of people got sick from some steaks we ate at a Christmas party. That was food poisoning.
Even though she was the only one, she could have still had food poisoning. Some people are more susceptible to bacteria than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies