Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:30 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,233,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
From cancertutor.com/ a site not influenced by money, it says Gerson therapy should be used in combination with Cellect Budwig protocol. It also says don't use too many high alkaline protocols.
Gerson not only does not work, it is frankly dangerous. It should not be used at all.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:35 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Yes, I have heard of it, but I believe that it was mostly discredited.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:21 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,222,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
Chemo does NOT cure cancer claims a Dr. Deng on a recent study in medscape. "Only surgery".

His words. Not mine.

I am of the opinion, if you take care of your body and health you could very well live cancer free. It takes alot of research, tenacity to eat properly and not always believe in mainstream medicines.
Its a business.

Bottom line: a BUSINESS.

Too many folks today throw caution to the wind with their health leaving the undoing of bad choices up to those trained to sell.
My opinion. I lived it.
Chemo can and does cure cancer....that is a proven fact no matter what this so called "Dr Deng" has to say on the subject..

Gerson is a dangerous and discredited scam that has ZERO chance of curing cancer of any type...

As for the "business" of medicine, "Alternative Medicine" is also BIG BUSINESS, completely unregulated, unfettered with the nasty inconvenience of actually proving it works...

There are billions of dollars to be made making and selling supplements, useless gizmo's, books, book tours, promotional talks, etc...

As for living cancer free, sure many cancers are life style driven, many are also related to exposures that may be out of a person's control, many have a hereditary component, many are related to viral infections and the largest number are simply unknown or "bad luck"

Eat well, exercise and die anyway as the bumper stick goes...

No one is immortal, we are all destined to die from the moment we are born and nothing will ever change that fact.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:34 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
May I remind some of you that this is the alternative forum? It is supposed to be a safe place for folks to discuss alternative health strategies and most alt proponents are smart enough to know what the mainstream views on cancer treatment are.

Old 05-03-2015, 09:47 PM

Yes, it is alt med, but readers here deserve to know if the treatment under discussion is dangerous.

Gerson Therapy

"Available scientific evidence does not support claims that Gerson therapy is effective in treating cancer, and the principles behind it are not widely accepted by the medical community. It is not approved for use in the United States. Gerson therapy can be dangerous. Coffee enemas have been associated with serious infections, dehydration, constipation, colitis (inflammation of the colon), electrolyte imbalances, and even death."

One of the big dangers is people choosing Gerson over conventional treatments that have high success rates.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:53 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
It's fine to discuss your viewpoint and to disagree as long as there are no long, ranting, accusatory posts or demands for scientific studies to prove someone's point. There usually ARE no scientific studies in alternative medicine. That's why it's alternative.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It's fine to discuss your viewpoint and to disagree as long as there are no long, ranting, accusatory posts or demands for scientific studies to prove someone's point. There usually ARE no scientific studies in alternative medicine. That's why it's alternative.
I do not see anyone here demanding studies. That is quite different from providing evidence showing that the Gerson stuff does not work and is potentially harmful. This particular "alternative" has been shown not to work and has been shown to be harmful. It's not like "it really works but no one has done any studies to prove it."

Why should Alt Med promote such "alternatives" just because they are "alternative" without looking at them critically?

Old 05-04-2015, 08:13 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I do not see anyone here demanding studies. That is quite different from providing evidence showing that the Gerson stuff does not work and is potentially harmful. This particular "alternative" has been shown not to work and has been shown to be harmful. It's not like "it really works but no one has done any studies to prove it."

Why should Alt Med promote such "alternatives" just because they are "alternative" without looking at them critically?
That's just what I was saying. It's fine to disagree but it's also fine to agree. Most people are mature enough to make up their own minds. There is a sticky about not demanding studies in this forum and so far no one has done that.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:59 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,790,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Yes, it is alt med, but readers here deserve to know if the treatment under discussion is dangerous.

Gerson Therapy

"Available scientific evidence does not support claims that Gerson therapy is effective in treating cancer, and the principles behind it are not widely accepted by the medical community. It is not approved for use in the United States. Gerson therapy can be dangerous. Coffee enemas have been associated with serious infections, dehydration, constipation, colitis (inflammation of the colon), electrolyte imbalances, and even death."

One of the big dangers is people choosing Gerson over conventional treatments that have high success rates.
I did my research when I chose altmed and had already decided against Gerson b/c I heard that and also b/c I know myself well enough to know that it's something I probably wouldn't keep up with.

However, I went to a meeting the other day which consisted of 4 women who are treating cancer holistically plus one woman who provides services to those with cancer. I noted with amusement that all of the women with cancer looked much healthier than the woman who doesn't have cancer. Also, I was the only one of the bunch who does not do the coffee enemas and from what I could tell, it doesn't make much of a difference--we have all made very different choices.

The whole point of holistic medicine is not so much to get rid of the tumor as it is to make your body an infertile ground for cancer to grow, and from what we could tell by comparing notes, all of us have achieved that. Two of us still have the cancer but it is not growing or spreading(per tests). One thing that I will say too is that all of the people I know who've chosen to do some form of holistic, with or w/o conventional, have done a lot of research and have drawn their own conclusions. People don't just go--"Oh, Gerson! Think I'll try that." You read, you study. You read some more and then go back and re-read stuff from the beginning that makes more sense now. And, it's way too soon to claim success but I have a feeling I'm going to make it a few more years at least. And so, for those who've done their homework, and have a feeling that this will be the best thing to help them--they're probably right.

Oh and not to be a shyt Suzy but all of the dangers that you quoted to be associated with the coffee enemas are also some of the side effects of chemo. My aunt died from the chemo--it blistered her skin from the inside out and left her with third degree burns and she was begging to die. People need to know that too. The risks you mentioned are those associated with any enema and I had to do one of those before a colonoscopy once--they had me do my own. I know of a man who recently died from a routine colonoscopy--they perforated his bowel.

Old 05-06-2015, 03:03 AM

6,383 posts, read 6,271,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothereIN View Post
Chemo does NOT cure cancer claims a Dr. Deng on a recent study in medscape. "Only surgery".

His words. Not mine.

I am of the opinion, if you take care of your body and health you could very well live cancer free. It takes alot of research, tenacity to eat properly and not always believe in mainstream medicines.
Its a business.

Bottom line: a BUSINESS.

Too many folks today throw caution to the wind with their health leaving the undoing of bad choices up to those trained to sell.
My opinion. I lived it.
I really hate this "blaming the victim" mentality that the self help movement created. "Clean living" certainly helps, but it will not overrule genetics and those environmental factors that are beyond our control. (Which are many I'm sorry to report.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine