Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:27 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times

Advertisements

Well, since posting in this thread I have started adding taurine powder to my diet, morning and night. And my sleep has improved! I still have some bad nights but nowhere near as many, and I am definitely having more good nights where I get really good rest. Taurine does a LOT of good in the body, just google it. It is a precursor to GABA and DOES cross the brain-barrier. It promotes a feeling of calm. Some of us are deficient in it, especially like me - a Type 2 diabetic. Diabetics use more, need more and are usually deficient in this and other things (like magnesium which I have been taking for years).

I am also watching my food sensitivities, cutting back on my wheat and watching histamines which I am very sensitive to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 09:51 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,527,148 times
If I have insomnia, I get help from valerian root capsules. It has muscle relaxant properties & is not addictive.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, since posting in this thread I have started adding taurine powder to my diet, morning and night. And my sleep has improved! I still have some bad nights but nowhere near as many, and I am definitely having more good nights where I get really good rest. Taurine does a LOT of good in the body, just google it. It is a precursor to GABA and DOES cross the brain-barrier. It promotes a feeling of calm. Some of us are deficient in it, especially like me - a Type 2 diabetic. Diabetics use more, need more and are usually deficient in this and other things (like magnesium which I have been taking for years).

I am also watching my food sensitivities, cutting back on my wheat and watching histamines which I am very sensitive to.
That's good news! My sleep may have improved a little bit but I still have to take clonopin or I wouldn't sleep at all. I take taurine too but only at night. Maybe taking it twice daily like you do would help. Gaba has done nothing. I also take L-theonine at night and inosital. I should get more valerian except that it didn't help very much. I used up the entire bottle but saw little effect. Maybe you just have to keep on taking it and taking it. My dr seemed to think that the food sensitivities could have something to do with it--just as you are saying.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's good news! My sleep may have improved a little bit but I still have to take clonopin or I wouldn't sleep at all. I take taurine too but only at night. Maybe taking it twice daily like you do would help. Gaba has done nothing. I also take L-theonine at night and inosital. I should get more valerian except that it didn't help very much. I used up the entire bottle but saw little effect. Maybe you just have to keep on taking it and taking it. My dr seemed to think that the food sensitivities could have something to do with it--just as you are saying.
Yes, the Valerian is practically worthless to me now. I have been taking it for years, and it did used to relax me but it has lost it's effectiveness.

I am thinking of trying tryptophan with the taurine at night and see how that does.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Yes, the Valerian is practically worthless to me now. I have been taking it for years, and it did used to relax me but it has lost it's effectiveness.

I am thinking of trying tryptophan with the taurine at night and see how that does.
They do seem to wear off. I also tried tryptophan but it was a long time ago. It had no effect and I recently read that it usually, or never, does. I wish I had better news about it but that's what it said. Maybe it does work for some people--you never know.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:32 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Everyone's insomnia is different, so different remedies are called for.

If I am overly stressed it takes a bulldozer to knock me out.... no ambien or lunesta. It needs to be something like klonopin or trazadone, which hasn't happened in awhile.

I am going through a very low energy period so I'm going to try to go without lunesta and see what happens.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-12-2016, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They do seem to wear off. I also tried tryptophan but it was a long time ago. It had no effect and I recently read that it usually, or never, does. I wish I had better news about it but that's what it said. Maybe it does work for some people--you never know.
Well, I went ahead and ordered some - some of the reviews say it works for them, so maybe it will for me. It was cheap enough. Not going to waste my money on Valerian anymore, and think I will stop melatonin as well, since that has become ineffective also.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:52 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
My original "receipe" thank goodness still works for me. I sleep so good some nights and push myself to get out of bed at about 9ish. I tried valerian many years ago and it did nothing back then. There's Lemon Balm too if someone wants to try that one. I take it some nights, but not every night. A friend has good results with 5HTP. I have a 1/2 bottle of Taurine, so I must have taken a while back. I have my main stuff and now and then I'll throw something else in the mix.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:15 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
I have another thought about this insomnia issue. I don't know how many have had their MD's check their DHEA levels. Our DHEA begins to decline at 20-30 yrs and all these hormones work in concert....DHEA, cortisol etc and all can affect sleep. If one has high cortisol close to bed, that would or could be a reason NOT to sleep. A good friend even though she deals with CFS/Malaise has high cortisol at night and so takes a supplment to help lower the cortisol. I believe she also does take DHEA as well.

I think I was about late 50's when I found out about DHEA and being deficient.

I would certainly get that checked as it controls so much and as I said it's declining in our bodies at 20-30 yrs old.

Just thinking about the sleep issue so many are challenged with.

Old 05-19-2016, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I have another thought about this insomnia issue. I don't know how many have had their MD's check their DHEA levels. Our DHEA begins to decline at 20-30 yrs and all these hormones work in concert....DHEA, cortisol etc and all can affect sleep. If one has high cortisol close to bed, that would or could be a reason NOT to sleep. A good friend even though she deals with CFS/Malaise has high cortisol at night and so takes a supplment to help lower the cortisol. I believe she also does take DHEA as well.

I think I was about late 50's when I found out about DHEA and being deficient.

I would certainly get that checked as it controls so much and as I said it's declining in our bodies at 20-30 yrs old.

Just thinking about the sleep issue so many are challenged with.
Now I think we're getting somewhere (for me anyway). A natural type Harvard dr did test my DHEA about 20 years ago. He gave me some to take, it did nothing but later I developed breast cancer. For that reason I'm scared to mess with my hormones again.

BUT all my health problems began many years ago when I was first married and went on birth control pills. They were taken off the market because they were really high in estrogen and didn't contain progesterone to balance it. During menopause a natural dr helped me by giving me progesterone cream. Anything to keep the estrogen down. (My bc was estrogen related.)

I have some ashwaganda in the fridge and that's supposed to do something--and once when I took it I felt great the next day, for a few minutes. I was just reading about it and it's supposed to help with INSOMNIA!

I'll be doing more reading but I'm not going to be taking anything new until after next week's cataract surgery is over. Thanks for all the information.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-19-2016 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine