Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 12:02 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

Couldn't a LOT of insurance costs be reduced IF people got on the "doctor thyself wagon"....everyone complains about the price of this and that for "sick care" but continue to feed pharma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:13 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Couldn't a LOT of insurance costs be reduced IF people got on the "doctor thyself wagon"....everyone complains about the price of this and that for "sick care" but continue to feed pharma.

Yes. Diet and exercise could reduce the burden on health care a lot. But people choose to take medication instead. I don't think that is a good thing, but most people do not want to be bothered with the effort. It is sad.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-04-2017, 12:29 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
Even healthy people need to be on some medication for "Prevention". I am sure the Big Pharms would love, and push, this. Imagine how routine all over 50 would increases sales?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.381830f7be44

Of course it is far easier to just pop a pill, that to follow a diet. My Dad, RIP, could have told anyone how hard those pages of what NOT to eat was, but it did work. He was in his 50's at the time.

Hooked on drugs today has a far different meaning than when Nancy Reagan said, "Just say No to Drugs".

Old 08-07-2017, 07:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes. Diet and exercise could reduce the burden on health care a lot. But people choose to take medication instead. I don't think that is a good thing, but most people do not want to be bothered with the effort. It is sad.
Exactly. I know a woman age 75 who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes several years ago. She blamed it on "genetics." She told me she's not giving up her morning bagel. But taking pills and insulin is fine. And since being on insulin she has gained weight, which I understand is very common.

I will never get this mentality.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I'm 55 and don't take any prescription meds and rarely take any over the counter meds. I am very much into trying the most natural approach first and foremost.

That being said, I believe that in some cases, prescription drugs are the best answer to the alternative. For instance, both my mom and my brother are seriously mentally ill. They are psychotic and self destructive and can be violent off their meds. Now - my brother has never had a healthy lifestyle but my mom has - to no avail. They need those meds. The meds saved both their lives in fact.

My husband has high blood pressure. It's largely genetic. His mother had high blood pressure and heart failure starting at a young age, though she lived a healthy life and was a healthy weight and ate healthy foods. My husband's high blood pressure started when he was in his twenties. He takes a low dose of something or other - I can't recall what now - and his blood pressure is normal for the most part. If he misses a dose, his blood pressure skyrockets. So I'm grateful for those drugs.

I'm also very grateful for most antibiotics as well, though there are some problematic ones out there. But overall, antibiotics have saved a lot of lives over the past few decades.

Doctors are always surprised when I fill out forms and they realize I don't take any meds regularly. But hey, I'm blessed with good health. Not everyone is as blessed as I am.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:39 AM

3,299 posts, read 3,024,145 times
This has been my question for a long time, and one of the reasons I avoid prescription medications as much as possible.

I've always said that there should be a law that instead of showing beautiful, healthy actors, the TV ads for prescription drugs should have to feature real life individuals who are actually on the medications, and what their average day looks like. I really doubt that people with lung cancer who take that drug that will give them a week or so extra of "life" are heading off to street festivals, picnics or art galleries on a daily basis.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:11 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Exactly. I know a woman age 75 who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes several years ago. She blamed it on "genetics." She told me she's not giving up her morning bagel. But taking pills and insulin is fine. And since being on insulin she has gained weight, which I understand is very common.

I will never get this mentality.
That bagel is SO High in carbs, I haven't touched one in many yrs and don't plan to but if a friend gave me a half bagel with salmon and cream cheese, I'd eat it. But I don't see that happening.

SO MANY are just so lazy to work on their own health issues. Starting with what they put in their mouths.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:23 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Here I am! All nearly seven decades of me. Just had a full work-up last week and all my tests are in the normal range.

If I didn't take my medicine by now I would have had a stroke/heart attack or become a cretin.

I think it's important not to just count on medication to do the work for you. A healthy lifestyle is important.

And a good program of mental health is crucial since nearly 75% of the things that put us in the hospital are stress-related.

DH is 73 and takes no medication at all because he doesn't have any diagnoses that require it. We are lucky to have good genetics and good habits.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:51 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
This has been my question for a long time, and one of the reasons I avoid prescription medications as much as possible.

I've always said that there should be a law that instead of showing beautiful, healthy actors, the TV ads for prescription drugs should have to feature real life individuals who are actually on the medications, and what their average day looks like. I really doubt that people with lung cancer who take that drug that will give them a week or so extra of "life" are heading off to street festivals, picnics or art galleries on a daily basis.
I can't stand those insulin commercials with the well-dressed dancing, partying and living-it-up actors playing diabetics. Based on the T2 diabetics I know, these ads should be considered fraud.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:47 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I can't stand those insulin commercials with the well-dressed dancing, partying and living-it-up actors playing diabetics. Based on the T2 diabetics I know, these ads should be considered fraud.
Then you don't know many T2 diabetics.

15 Celebrities With Type 2 Diabetes - Health
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine