Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 3,417,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
On this subject and many others in life...I've learned that

No One Is Better Than Anyone Else, No Matter Their Degrees or whatever, they are NO BETTER.

We are all different and they are, I am, we all are different, but NO BETTER.
But it is a fact that some people know more about certain things than others. If someone has studied a subject for many years, if someone has extensive experience in something, then their opinion might be worth more than someone else who has very little knowledge or experience on the subject.

We can say that everyone has worth, no matter what their education or status. But we can't really say that everyone is equal to everyone in all respects.

By saying that, you are just handing ammo over to the CD members who despise holistic philosophy and holistic health.

But given that people are not all equal, and some have more knowledge than others, it still can be extremely hard to know whose opinion is correct when there are disagreements and philosophical differences.

The reductionist, materialist, ideology is currently very much in style in medical science. That doesn't make it correct. It is very debatable, and in my opinion they are very obviously wrong. But there is no quick and simple argument that could settle it.

And throwing insults around, which they like to do, is ok in preschool maybe, but not in any serious discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 11:56 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
NO, I'm saying they may have their medical degrees as all MD's do, but they are not better than ME. They know other stuff than I do, but I've studied and worked on what I've learned and feel strongly about what I believe. We are Different....I don't attack their stuff but they love to attack my info. Yes, I do attack a lot of their stuff as I've lived thru complications from drugs and surgery damage. That is their M.O.

Surgeons can do a surgery, I cannot and I'm glad we have surgeons. Perfect, they are NOT. But have good records too. Many many not good.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
NO, I'm saying they may have their medical degrees as all MD's do, but they are not better than ME. They know other stuff than I do, but I've studied and worked on what I've learned and feel strongly about what I believe. We are Different....I don't attack their stuff but they love to attack my info. Yes, I do attack a lot of their stuff as I've lived thru complications from drugs and surgery damage. That is their M.O.

Surgeons can do a surgery, I cannot and I'm glad we have surgeons. Perfect, they are NOT. But have good records too. Many many not good.
I agree. We don't need a medical degree to have an opinion on health. We don't have to follow their ideology if it makes no sense to us.

And we have our own personal experiences. They would like to tell us that our experiences do not count, because they are not science. All that counts is big expensive studies funded by drug companies, in their opinion.

We can also learn about health by reading. I have been reading about it all my life, and you probably have also. Now they will tell us, condescendingly, that just because information is on somebody's website doesn't mean it's true.

We know that. We used to get information in libraries, now we get it online. The online information can be very unreliable and you have to be careful, I know that. But there is a tremendous amount of useful information also. Everything that medical doctors read is available to us (although not all for free).

But anyone who wants to get an education, in just about anything, can do it now. You need time and patience and determination, and you can't be credulous and gullible. If you know a website is biased in one direction or another, be skeptical.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:09 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
If I have personal experience with something and I know from that experience that it works, then I logically can believe that it works. But my personal experience is not enough to convince other people. To convince everyone, you would need conclusive scientific evidence. I don't need that to convince myself if I know that something works.

There is research on acupuncture but it varies a lot and does not seem conclusive, as far as I know. Since I don't have personal experience with it, I don't have an opinion about it.

I don't make any exception if it's me. I know what I experience, I don't need someone to tell me what I experience.

You seem to be looking to fight about nothing. This post is about the article I linked. If anyone has a comment about that article, then they are welcome to comment.
Just as marketers say, "Perception is reality" - that is your perspective. If you believe it works then it MUST work. And I guess that's all that matters. Unless you're incorrect, and you harm yourself by believing in something wrongly and don't partake of something else that actually works.

Of course it doesn't matter to me if you harm yourself or not - but it is a concern if you wrongly convince others that something which you subjectively believe is effective for you isn't effective for them and you delude others. But thankfully, most can tell the difference between opinion/subjectivity and something that objectively has evidence backing it. In the end, the truth prevails....it's just messy getting there and some people get hurt.

And sure, everyone has an opinion -dontcha know "opinions are like @ssholes - everyone has one" so what does that really mean? However, not every opinion is as valid as the next.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Just as marketers say, "Perception is reality" - that is your perspective. If you believe it works then it MUST work. And I guess that's all that matters. Unless you're incorrect, and you harm yourself by believing in something wrongly and don't partake of something else that actually works.

Of course it doesn't matter to me if you harm yourself or not - but it is a concern if you wrongly convince others that something which you subjectively believe is effective for you isn't effective for them and you delude others. But thankfully, most can tell the difference between opinion/subjectivity and something that objectively has evidence backing it. In the end, the truth prevails....it's just messy getting there and some people get hurt.

And sure, everyone has an opinion -dontcha know "opinions are like @ssholes - everyone has one" so what does that really mean? However, not every opinion is as valid as the next.
Well, of course, Big Medicine wants us to mistrust our own experiences. If I try something a thousand times, and it works every time, it still could be my imagination.

As long as they can make you doubt yourself, you will be a trusting consumer.

And, of course, they want you to think medical research tells us the truth about what works or not. Read the article I linked if you want to see a different perspective.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:55 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
I agree. We don't need a medical degree to have an opinion on health. We don't have to follow their ideology if it makes no sense to us.

And we have our own personal experiences. They would like to tell us that our experiences do not count, because they are not science. All that counts is big expensive studies funded by drug companies, in their opinion.

We can also learn about health by reading. I have been reading about it all my life, and you probably have also. Now they will tell us, condescendingly, that just because information is on somebody's website doesn't mean it's true.

We know that. We used to get information in libraries, now we get it online. The online information can be very unreliable and you have to be careful, I know that. But there is a tremendous amount of useful information also. Everything that medical doctors read is available to us (although not all for free).

But anyone who wants to get an education, in just about anything, can do it now. You need time and patience and determination, and you can't be credulous and gullible. If you know a website is biased in one direction or another, be skeptical.
Quote:
Well, of course, Big Medicine wants us to mistrust our own experiences. If I try something a thousand times, and it works every time, it still could be my imagination.

As long as they can make you doubt yourself, you will be a trusting consumer.

And, of course, they want you to think medical research tells us the truth about what works or not. Read the article I linked if you want to see a different perspective.
I might read it if you give me the post # - I'm not reading 90 posts to find yours.

Old 07-13-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I might read it if you give me the post # - I'm not reading 90 posts to find yours.
http://psychology.usf.edu/News/Exper...inResearch.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine