Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
I don't consider myself totally traditional but since everyone I knew who used only diet and supplements and cleanses they bought from places selling such things died rather quickly compared to those who either used both or went traditional, as you call it, I would not skip traditional. I do believe some of these supplements may be helpful. A good diet is certainly important but doesn't undo the mutations that cause cancer. Nothing can kill every single cancer cell once those mutations start.

Chemo doesn't shut down the immune system but does negatively effect it. That's why you get breaks between treatments, so it can come back as much as possible which it does. Mine never dropped more than halfway and I never was sick when it dropped. They tell you how to take proper precautions to avoid contracting infections. But as someone who worked in the medical field I always did that anyway. Some people are not the cleanest and take chances others would not.

Envita does both. From their site: "Envita’s powerful and targeted treatment solutions are made possible by bridging the best in advanced, natural based therapies and state-of-the-art conventional medicine."

Chemo is broken down in the body like any other toxic substance we come in contact with all our lives and passed out. As for Ms Summers. She did indeed have traditional treatments.

Quote: "Somers followed the advice of her physician and underwent surgery to remove a cancerous lump and then radiation therapy to treat any remaining cancer. She is taking Iscador to boost her immune system, says Sandi Mendelson, her publicist."

She did not only use mistletoe just like I don't only get Taxol made from the Yew tree, a common drug for my cancer. Not everyone gets chemo. All cases and cancers are different.

https://www.webmd.com/breast-cancer/...er-treatment#1
There is nothing wrong with deciding to use allopathic or allopathic with alternative methods or even alternative methods by themselves. I’m not judging anyone, but do wish we’d be allowed to state our preference before being swamped with the allopathic crowd acting like we’re a bunch of idiots for even considering non traditional medicine. That said, I really appreciate your response, you’re cordial and present your argument in a consistent way.

Didn’t realize that Suzanne Summers got traditional medicine but there are people who have gone different routes to cure their disease. Look at Dr Burzynski, he has had success and what makes many of us angry is knowing there would be a lot more pioneers in the disease fields if so much heat wasn’t put on them to tow the party line.

I still would not choose chemo, but if medical science has progressed with immunology therapy, I’d be glad to hear about it. I suspect Envita has that sentence worded to placate the medical establishment, who must surely want them to pack up and go away. Medicine/pharma is a profit driven business, and I get that, but they don’t have monopoly rights. I’ll still look around and see what options are avaliable for whatever disease I might get in the future. My health against someone’s bottom line. In the end, we all have to look out for ourselves. I’ve had insurance customers tell me that after months or years of treatments they or their spouse were told there was nothing more to be done and they were sent home to die. That was sad to hear, although some survived by being treated with alternatives or they went into remission. IMO people can increase their odds by taking a look at all the options out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 10:42 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think a lot of the confusion over the use of alternative vs conventional cancer treatment comes from a misunderstanding of what cancer actually is.

Cancer is not a disease of the immune system. It's not caused by having a weak immune system and it can't be cured by strengthening the immune system.

Cancer is caused by genetic mutations which can be traced to a variety of factors (environmental toxins, radiation, genetics, etc.). And the very hardest thing about cancer is that the body does not recognize these mutated genes as foreign or harmful, therefore the immune system does not attack them; it just leaves them alone and lets them grow.

A diet full of healthy foods and supplements may make your immune system bombproof, which is absolutely a worthy goal. But a strong immune system by definition can not prevent or cure cancer, because cancer is invisible to it.

I know many people who have been cured of cancer by a combination of conventional treatment and diet/supplements/alternative therapies, but none who have been cured by alternatives alone. I won't bore you with all the stories, but every single person I know who went for alternatives alone either died rather quickly, or eventually agreed to undergo conventional treatment.

My own story is that I was diagnosed with breast cancer at age 39. It was early and completely curable. I immediately went through the standard surgery/chemo/radiation. I also read up on diets and supplements. I completely changed my diet and began taking a raft of supplements, a protocol which I followed faithfully for the next six years.

Then, I was diagnosed with a new, unrelated breast cancer. Also early and curable, thank God. But it was very discouraging to me to develop cancer again so soon, despite my very strenuous efforts to prevent it from ever happening!

The mystery was unraveled when genetic testing revealed that I have two deleterious mutations which predispose me for breast (and colon) cancer, one inherited from each parent. I was really, really healthy, never got sick, and according to the alternative cancer prevention sites, was doing everything right. None of that changed the fact that when a genetic change took place in one of my cells, my extra-strong immune system still could not see it. I DO know that being so healthy helped me tremendously to go through treatment again with flying colors. It's now been 10 years since the first cancer, 4 years since the second, and since I've had a double mastectomy, my doctors feel I am off the hook as far as breast cancer is concerned. (I still need to keep an eye out for colon cancer).

Another fact is that, even though cancer is very very common, at least 50% of people will never get it no matter how long they live. You can credit your diet and supplements for that, or you can realize that in the cosmic flip of the coin, yours came up heads. Of course I am not saying that, for instance, years of smoking doesn't influence your chances of getting cancer. It does. But even among the clean-living and healthy-eating population, about 50% will eventually develop cancer if they live long enough. And the rest of the population will not, through no particular merit of their own.
On another health group one member is working with DMSO and Vit C for their cancer treatments...I don't know what else they are using.

http://naturalsociety.com/dmso-forgo...e-drug-cancer/

http://medicorcancer.com/dmso-therapy/

I've been on a DMSO support group for years and use DMSO on some of my joints and many members ingest small doses in distilled water almost daily, and I have not gone there YET. Some members say it helps with overall bodypain.

Another member, actually the owner of a group, is working with Alt Med treatments for her cancer issues. Haven't heard how she is doing. Last I saw she was doing OK. She may be doing some pharma drug too...we're not informed of everything.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-03-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM

A man I met at a health lecture on Pycnogenol back in 1995 told us he will NEVER get cancer as he'e been doing H202 therapy for years, at that time he was in 70's and full of life. I did that for a while but stopped, maybe need to check it out again.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are new methods on the horizon, including drugs that harness the immune system to destroy cancerous cells, like the drug President Carter is taking, and this young lady.

https://www.chop.edu/stories/relapse...a-emilys-story

I think many people have a misconception about what chemotherapy is for.

Chemo for blood cancers and a few solid tumors is given for cure. For most solid tumors, like breast cancer for example, the curative treatment is surgery: remove the cancer. Radiation is given to the site of the tumor in order to kill any cells that escape the knife and prevent the tumor from growing back. Chemotherapy is given to mop up any cancerous cells that have already spread to other areas of the body and prevent new tumors from growing there. The surgery alone will sometimes cure the cancer permanently, but radiation and chemo reduce the risk of relapse.

Speaking of breast cancer, there is now a new test available that can help identify women with certain breast cancers who are at low risk of relapse and who will not need chemo at all, just surgery to remove the tumor and hormone therapy.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-...ly-breast.html
Thanks for the article, finally read it and you are right, medicine is changing, albeit slowly. That’s one reason I like the intregrated methods better, traditional medicine has been slow in offering anything but the same treatments that have been around for decades. Maybe there are changes coming to allopathic medicine in the future that will be far less toxic.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 PM

268 posts, read 226,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think a lot of the confusion over the use of alternative vs conventional cancer treatment comes from a misunderstanding of what cancer actually is.

But even among the clean-living and healthy-eating population, about 50% will eventually develop cancer if they live long enough. And the rest of the population will not, through no particular merit of their own.
Very well said and very educational. Thank you. Allow me to add that cancer is not caused by fungus or liver flukes. Two causes I came across on sites selling cures and healings.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:41 PM

268 posts, read 226,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
There is nothing wrong with deciding to use allopathic or allopathic with alternative methods or even alternative methods by themselves. I’m not judging anyone, but do wish we’d be allowed to state our preference before being swamped with the allopathic crowd acting like we’re a bunch of idiots for even considering non traditional medicine. That said, I really appreciate your response, you’re cordial and present your argument in a consistent way.

Didn’t realize that Suzanne Summers got traditional medicine but there are people who have gone different routes to cure their disease.
Unfortunately trying to find legitimate cases of "cures" using *only alt-methods* never turns anyone up that wasn't self-diagnosed, which is impossible, or had NED scans to present afterward. I have yet to find one such case after 25 yrs of looking, asking, posting, talking to people in the medical field, in the clinics etc. This is why I encourage people to use BOTH methods if they're interested in alt-meds.

Quote:
Look at Dr Burzynski, he has had success and what makes many of us angry is knowing there would be a lot more pioneers in the disease fields if so much heat wasn’t put on them to tow the party line.
There is no evidence except testimonial, unsubstantiated claims about towing the partyline. No one put pressure on my family or friends in the medical field to tow anything. Everyone and anyone can get cancer and EVERYONE wants better treatments and a cure if possible. Please take what you read on the alt-sites with a grain of salt, especially if they are selling something. There is no evidence Dr Burzynski cured anyone of cancer. Anyone of us can make a website and make such a claim. There have been some serious charges against this Dr, who BTW, is NOT an oncologist.

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellne...cer-treatment/ I quote: "When I last reported on antineoplastons on this site in 2006, Dr. Burzynski claimed to have treated more than 8,000 patients, but his success rates were unknown. His website stated only that he has helped “many” people. As of this writing, his website makes no claims about success. According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), the cost of antineoplaston therapy at Dr. Burzynski’s clinic ranges from $7,000 to $9,500 per month or more...."

Apparently he hasn't cured anyone of cancer and doesn't claim to cure them. I would need more time to do further research on his claims.

Quote:
I still would not choose chemo, but if medical science has progressed with immunology therapy, I’d be glad to hear about it. I suspect Envita has that sentence worded to placate the medical establishment, who must surely want them to pack up and go away. Medicine/pharma is a profit driven business, and I get that, but they don’t have monopoly rights.
Please understand that alt-meds is also profit driven or why would they bother? How would they benefit? How would they pay their bills? None treat people for free or give their wares away for free. There is no altruism involved in alt-meds, cold as that may sound it is a fact. You seem quite convinced that the medical establishment is against cures or effective treatments for cancer and that is simply not true. Why would the millions of people involved in medicine/health/longevity/drugs/hospitals want to themselves suffer and die and watch their loved ones suffer and die? So someone else can make an income? Never happen. They don't want to suffer and die any more than you or I do. And if it were true, how would you explain the cures we do have, thanks to research, that does cure cancer? People are cured of the disease and no one is trying to hide those cures. My cousin was cured of leukemia many years ago. I had an acquaintance cured of lung cancer back in the late 1970s. It was caught before it metastasized. She lived into her early 90s.

Should you develop cancer you do not need to take any treatments you feel uncomfortable with.

Quote:
I’ll still look around and see what options are avaliable for whatever disease I might get in the future. My health against someone’s bottom line. In the end, we all have to look out for ourselves. I’ve had insurance customers tell me that after months or years of treatments they or their spouse were told there was nothing more to be done and they were sent home to die. That was sad to hear, although some survived by being treated with alternatives or they went into remission. IMO people can increase their odds by taking a look at all the options out there.
I agree completely. Sometimes Drs do run out of options when the cancer becomes resistant to all the drugs they have access to. Some cancers cannot be removed by surgery. You can only get radiation so many times. So what's left? They have no choice but to tell the patient the truth that there is nothing left they can do.

There are also spontaneous remissions that can be hard to understand. For some reason their immune system was able to spot the mutated cells, recognized them as "bad" as they would any invader from outside such as a bacteria or virus, attacked and killed those cells.

There is a lot of research going on and it's turning away from chemo and more in other directions. All we can do is hope more and more cancers can be cured.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatesKat View Post
Unfortunately trying to find legitimate cases of "cures" using *only alt-methods* never turns anyone up that wasn't self-diagnosed, which is impossible, or had NED scans to present afterward. I have yet to find one such case after 25 yrs of looking, asking, posting, talking to people in the medical field, in the clinics etc. This is why I encourage people to use BOTH methods if they're interested in alt-meds.

There is no evidence except testimonial, unsubstantiated claims about towing the partyline. No one put pressure on my family or friends in the medical field to tow anything. Everyone and anyone can get cancer and EVERYONE wants better treatments and a cure if possible. Please take what you read on the alt-sites with a grain of salt, especially if they are selling something. There is no evidence Dr Burzynski cured anyone of cancer. Anyone of us can make a website and make such a claim. There have been some serious charges against this Dr, who BTW, is NOT an oncologist.

https://www.drweil.com/health-wellne...cer-treatment/ I quote: "When I last reported on antineoplastons on this site in 2006, Dr. Burzynski claimed to have treated more than 8,000 patients, but his success rates were unknown. His website stated only that he has helped “many” people. As of this writing, his website makes no claims about success. According to the American Cancer Society (ACS), the cost of antineoplaston therapy at Dr. Burzynski’s clinic ranges from $7,000 to $9,500 per month or more...."

Apparently he hasn't cured anyone of cancer and doesn't claim to cure them. I would need more time to do further research on his claims.

Please understand that alt-meds is also profit driven or why would they bother? How would they benefit? How would they pay their bills? None treat people for free or give their wares away for free. There is no altruism involved in alt-meds, cold as that may sound it is a fact. You seem quite convinced that the medical establishment is against cures or effective treatments for cancer and that is simply not true. Why would the millions of people involved in medicine/health/longevity/drugs/hospitals want to themselves suffer and die and watch their loved ones suffer and die? So someone else can make an income? Never happen. They don't want to suffer and die any more than you or I do. And if it were true, how would you explain the cures we do have, thanks to research, that does cure cancer? People are cured of the disease and no one is trying to hide those cures. My cousin was cured of leukemia many years ago. I had an acquaintance cured of lung cancer back in the late 1970s. It was caught before it metastasized. She lived into her early 90s.

Should you develop cancer you do not need to take any treatments you feel uncomfortable with.

I agree completely. Sometimes Drs do run out of options when the cancer becomes resistant to all the drugs they have access to. Some cancers cannot be removed by surgery. You can only get radiation so many times. So what's left? They have no choice but to tell the patient the truth that there is nothing left they can do.

There are also spontaneous remissions that can be hard to understand. For some reason their immune system was able to spot the mutated cells, recognized them as "bad" as they would any invader from outside such as a bacteria or virus, attacked and killed those cells.

There is a lot of research going on and it's turning away from chemo and more in other directions. All we can do is hope more and more cancers can be cured.
Your arguments are like mine except reversed. I’m honestly not sure what to think of Dr Burzynski. I lived in Texas from 1995 to 2000 and heard plenty of mostly positive things about him from the public. It was all going on when I lived there. The government and medical community had come after him with a vengeance and I remember people speaking out on his behalf saying how he had cured their family members.

Here is one example of why I like supplements over meds whenever possible. I’ve had borderline high bp for awhile. A few years ago, a Dr wanted to put me on long term bp medicine. I refused and did some reading, went into the vitamin store and chose a vitamin supplement made for controlling bp. After a couple of months, I went back to the Dr and this time my bp was normal. I remember the nurse saying how good it was. Now, I really didn’t expect these supplements to work as well as they did, but have been on them ever sense. A long term script is not something that can easily be given up, once you’ve started and I didn’t want to make a commitment to taking something that could possibly last for years. It also seems to me that a vitamin is much less toxic over the long term than taking an unknown script that comes with pages of possible reactions.

As far as the medical community, I view it as having the same mix of people as in any field. Some are good, others not in a million. I don’t think the medical community is against cures, but medicine is a profit driven business. If a simple, cheap remedy like vitamin c cured a major disease, do you really believe it wouldn’t be hushed up? Pharma and medicine depend on money. They aren’t about lose that money telling people how to cure themselves for pennies.

I hope the trend is for much less toxic medicine to come on the market. The same cut/burn/poison therapies have around for decades. Time for new and innovative things to come on board, and that’s a reason I look at places like Sunridge and Envita, they are trying to push the envelope and traditional medicine in a lot of ways, is stuck in the past. I hope to never need their services but would feel like I was doing my self a favor by checking them out. I’m blessed to have a PPO, an HMO would never allow the flexibility to see so many different types of practitioners.

Last edited by Taz22; 08-05-2018 at 12:06 AM..

Old 08-05-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Your arguments are like mine except reversed. I’m honestly not sure what to think of Dr Burzynski. I lived in Texas from 1995 to 2000 and heard plenty of mostly positive things about him from the public. It was all going on when I lived there. The government and medical community had come after him with a vengeance and I remember people speaking out on his behalf saying how he had cured their family members.

Here is one example of why I like supplements over meds whenever possible. I’ve had borderline high bp for awhile. A few years ago, a Dr wanted to put me on long term bp medicine. I refused and did some reading, went into the vitamin store and chose a vitamin supplement made for controlling bp. After a couple of months, I went back to the Dr and this time my bp was normal. I remember the nurse saying how good it was. Now, I really didn’t expect these supplements to work as well as they did, but have been on them ever sense. A long term script is not something that can easily be given up, once you’ve started and I didn’t want to make a commitment to taking something that could possibly last for years. It also seems to me that a vitamin is much less toxic over the long term than taking an unknown script that comes with pages of possible reactions.

As far as the medical community, I view it as having the same mix of people as in any field. Some are good, others not in a million. I don’t think the medical community is against cures, but medicine is a profit driven business. If a simple, cheap remedy like vitamin c cured a major disease, do you really believe it wouldn’t be hushed up? Pharma and medicine depend on money. They aren’t about lose that money telling people how to cure themselves for pennies.

I hope the trend is for much less toxic medicine to come on the market. The same cut/burn/poison therapies have around for decades. Time for new and innovative things to come on board, and that’s a reason I look at places like Sunridge and Envita, they are trying to push the envelope and traditional medicine in a lot of ways, is stuck in the past. I hope to never need their services but would feel like I was doing my self a favor by checking them out. I’m blessed to have a PPO, an HMO would never allow the flexibility to see so many different types of practitioners.
Taz: I love to read your simple reasoning why supps are not out there more, yes for pennies we can do so much vs $1000's for the drugs in many cases. Telling everyone on TV how great Grape Seed Ex is would take mega profits from pharma...right? Supp industry may be controlled from spending millions for TV ads on this powerful antioxidant which is 20 times more powerful than Vit C. Or could be Supp industry is not set up to spend millions on TV ads. Yes, they make profits, and why not, no one is doing anything as a hobby, except me and some of us...I get no pay. My payoff is seeing others benefit with their health. j

Old 08-05-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Taz: I love to read your simple reasoning why supps are not out there more, yes for pennies we can do so much vs $1000's for the drugs in many cases. Telling everyone on TV how great Grape Seed Ex is would take mega profits from pharma...right? Supp industry may be controlled from spending millions for TV ads on this powerful antioxidant which is 20 times more powerful than Vit C. Or could be Supp industry is not set up to spend millions on TV ads. Yes, they make profits, and why not, no one is doing anything as a hobby, except me and some of us...I get no pay. My payoff is seeing others benefit with their health. j
Thanks Jam, and I didn’t mention that, but yes it’s fine for the supplement industry to make profits. That’s expected.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:16 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:

I still would not choose chemo, but if medical science has progressed with immunology therapy, I’d be glad to hear about it. I suspect Envita has that sentence worded to placate the medical establishment, who must surely want them to pack up and go away. Medicine/pharma is a profit driven business, and I get that, but they don’t have monopoly rights. I’ll still look around and see what options are avaliable for whatever disease I might get in the future. My health against someone’s bottom line. In the end, we all have to look out for ourselves. I’ve had insurance customers tell me that after months or years of treatments they or their spouse were told there was nothing more to be done and they were sent home to die. That was sad to hear, although some survived by being treated with alternatives or they went into remission. IMO people can increase their odds by taking a look at all the options out there.
Indeed they have. Stay tuned:

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/tre...notherapy.html

https://www.webmd.com/cancer/immunot...reatment-types

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/.../immunotherapy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine