Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:25 AM

3,121 posts, read 2,064,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Oh I'm not going to debate antioxidants...I also take higher doses of Vit C and Linus Pauling brought this info to us. We can find a lot of info about Vit C and cancer prevention. Grape Seed Ex is said to be 20 times stronger than C. I take both.

I'm not debating it either. The information I posted is for other readers who may prefer more recent research and findings since the 1990s.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:39 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
- I don't think I've ever met a doctor who doesn't let the patient know that the side-effects of chemo are harsh.

My fathers doctor just started him on oral chemotherapy...and no, he DID NOT explain AT ALL about ANY harsh side effects he may experience.....

Old 01-25-2019, 09:59 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
My fathers doctor just started him on oral chemotherapy...and no, he DID NOT explain AT ALL about ANY harsh side effects he may experience.....
Forgive me for being skeptical, but have you been present at his appointments? My father-in-law had chemo twice, and I accompanied him to the doctor, and I have had chemo twice myself. In every case the doctor went over the side effects. It is very unethical and almost unheard-of for a doctor not to do so. It is more common for a patient not to take in or fully remember what the doctor said.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:47 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,131 times
[quote=jaminhealth;53379686.

Cancer big money maker.[/QUOTE]

Yes, Cancer IS a big money maker........sickening.........

Old 01-25-2019, 01:01 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
Yes, Cancer IS a big money maker........sickening.........
Is it ever!!! And so many end up dying anyway, I know a couple at least in the last two yrs.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:05 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Forgive me for being skeptical, but have you been present at his appointments? My father-in-law had chemo twice, and I accompanied him to the doctor, and I have had chemo twice myself. In every case the doctor went over the side effects. It is very unethical and almost unheard-of for a doctor not to do so. It is more common for a patient not to take in or fully remember what the doctor said.
This is what every person I know who went through cancer chemo has told me as well. Of course, there's the usual caveat...all the stories we relate are anecdotes. The people I've discussed it with all had an indepth consultation presenting their options for treatment and descriptions of the potential side effects. That word potential is key. Every patient, depending on their overall health and individual tolerances responds to chemo agents differently. It would be difficult for an oncologist to predict absolutely what degree of effects any one person will or won't experience outside statistical probabilities. Add to that our own expectations, preconceptions, distractions, even our ability to hear what we are being told. Can change the entire picture.

Then of course there's always information you can get on your own power. If you don't feel you got enough information during the appointment you can always look the meds up on your own, right? How many times do forum members say you need to be your own advocate? Did you do that for your dad PH?

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-25-2019 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 01:44 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This is what every person I know who went through cancer chemo has told me as well. Of course, there's the usual caveat...all the stories we relate are anecdotes. The people I've discussed it with all had an indepth consultation describing their options for treatment and descriptions of the potential side effects. That word potential is key. Every patient, depending on their overall health and individual tolerances responds to chemo agents differently. It would be difficult for an oncologist to predict absolutely what degree of effects any one person will or won't experience outside statistical probabilities.

Then of course there's always information you can get on your own power. If you don't feel you got enough information during the appointment you can always look the meds up on your own, right? How many times do forum members say you need to be your own advocate? Did you do that for your dad PH?
The packet of consent forms for my son's chemo in the late 1980s was about an inch thick and included everything known about every med, including the investigational drug he took.

If you have questions about any drug, please ask them!

Old 01-25-2019, 01:59 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,838,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Is it ever!!! And so many end up dying anyway, I know a couple at least in the last two yrs.

I do too Jamin.......a friend of mine just died at age 49, one at 59.....all had chemo. They ended up so sick and weak. Breaks my heart.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:12 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyRoos View Post
I do too Jamin.......a friend of mine just died at age 49, one at 59.....all had chemo. They ended up so sick and weak. Breaks my heart.
Have you seen anyone die of cancer who DIDN'T get chemo? I have. These people also end up extremely sick and weak and yes, it's heartbreaking.

I had a friend die of sarcoma last fall. He had no treatment other than one surgery early on. He ended up basically as a skeleton because the cancer cells themselves produce toxins that make you lose your appetite, rob your tissues of nutrients, and cause your muscles to waste away. This is called "cancer cachexia" and has nothing, I repeat, nothing to do with chemotherapy.

Chemotherapy can make people feel pretty sick, true. I felt terrible for about three days after every chemo treatment, though it never stopped me from eating. But doctors are pretty on the ball about monitoring how a patient is doing with chemo, and if s/he is not tolerating it, they stop or reduce the treatment so the patient can gain strength.

If a person with cancer dies in an extremely sick and weak state, it's not because of the chemo. It's because of the cancer.

Last edited by saibot; 01-25-2019 at 02:26 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 03:13 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Umm, I've heard for many years chemo is pretty toxic. We have a friend on another group battling it with no chemo and radiation. We're all supporting her as best we can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine