Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 08:30 AM

185 posts, read 96,979 times

Advertisements

So with the pandemic that has shutdown the world, with all the mass hysteria and fear mongering the media has done and continues to do (if you ask me personally), and so much misinformation and flip-flopping information, I feel so many people are losing their minds. Under immense panic and stress, their immune system lowers, making them more susceptible to getting the virus or being sick period. One thing has shown that the absolute vast majority of people whom are dying from this are people whom are already unhealthy and most of them elderly. Which of course is tragic and sad.

With these deaths we are being inundated with, I feel SOME people have been forgetting to take their health into their own hands. The government has forced us into quarantine and lockdown and in some cases have been doing their best to prevent people from being mobile at all.

On the other hand, I have seen people workout more than ever and understand that their health is THEIR responsibility and I couldn't be happier with them.

What I am saying is that we shouldn't be waiting for the government to tell us when its safe to get healthy. For those whom do need medication, ABSOLUTELY do what you must. For those of us whom are in general health, we know what to do. For those of you whom are still at a good state to turn it around, THIS IS THE TIME.

Stay hydrated, eat garlic, ginger, lemon, oranges, fruits, veggies, greens, get vitamin D, boost your heart rate, SWEAT, release the toxins within your body. Take warm baths with essential oils, take winter green alcohol baths (drink a bottle of water while doing so!), hit the sauna (USE caution and best judgement). Hell, have a shot of whiskey, vodka, rum (probably not best to recommend but I know some whom swear by it and its hard for me to argue with them). Don't be afraid to be outside!

I'm not saying lets be wreckless and get each other sick but at the same time, its important to make sure we take OUR health into OUR hands. Not wait for when the government to tell us its the best time to take care of ourselves. Not allow ourselves to be lazy and locked in our homes, declining our health, not moving.

It sucks that it takes a virus to get some people to get themselves into shape but at the same time, we all have our wake up calls!

We will always be among virus, germs, bacteria, THREATS to our health but its up to US to mitigate those threats as much as possible. And up to us to set the tone for our family, friends, tribe. Not the government.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:42 AM

6,102 posts, read 8,820,647 times
I am going to listen to the health professionals and shelter in place until we have a vaccine, or when the curve has completely flattened. Very healthy people have succumbed to this virus - so you can take all the green alcohol baths while drinking all the water you like -

Old 04-21-2020, 11:11 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Sigh. Once the pandemic loses headliner status hopefully we'll experience a decline in PSAs from self-proclaimed experts extolling some cherished personal health doctrine. Guess they figure that fear has handed them a new audience...opened the ears, eyes, and minds of those who usually ignore unsolicited advice. Sure, there will always be a few self-righteous souls who insist on lecturing others whether they need it or not, but it has gotten more ridiculous lately.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-21-2020 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-21-2020, 05:08 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
It boggles my mind that other posters found nothing but objections to the OP. OF COURSE we should be doing all we to maintain or improve our health, especially now! OF COURSE it's up to us to make sure our bodies are as strong and healthy as possible. How can that even be debatable? Everything the OP said was good advice (although I don't know anything about alcohol baths), but YES we should be eating superfoods and more fruits & vegetables, getting extra vitamin D, and exercising in the fresh air.

"Shelter in place" does not mean you have to cower inside your house and never see the light of day for the next 18 months until (if) there is a vaccine!

Carry on, OP. There will always be threats to our health and, apparently, there will always be people who neglect their bodies and expect "modern medicine" to save them when they become ill.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:06 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,409,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It boggles my mind that other posters found nothing but objections to the OP. OF COURSE we should be doing all we to maintain or improve our health, especially now! OF COURSE it's up to us to make sure our bodies are as strong and healthy as possible. How can that even be debatable? Everything the OP said was good advice (although I don't know anything about alcohol baths), but YES we should be eating superfoods and more fruits & vegetables, getting extra vitamin D, and exercising in the fresh air.

"Shelter in place" does not mean you have to cower inside your house and never see the light of day for the next 18 months until (if) there is a vaccine!

Carry on, OP. There will always be threats to our health and, apparently, there will always be people who neglect their bodies and expect "modern medicine" to save them when they become ill.
Yes we absolutely should be eating well. We don't need "extra" vitamin D. We need however much our bodies require to function efficiently. Extra is either wasted, or harmful, in ANYTHING. Drinking too much water can make you sick. Eating too many fruits can make you sick. Conversely, not having enough can make you sick. Having the appropriate amount for your body is absolutely a must.

But that's not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread is "The best way to fight COVID-19/CPP VIRUS or any other virus for that matter!"

I think the "best" way to fight this virus, is what has been recommended by science - which, oddly enough, doesn't involve a single pharmaceutical or medical procedure. So it should be perfect for the alt-med folks:

Wash your hands.
Don't touch your face.
Practice responsible social distancing.
If you aren't able to practice social distancing, wear a mask.

Simple, elegant, no-nonsense, and no drugs or supplements necessary.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:24 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:

Not objections so much but rather questioning why people feel the need to keep stating the obvious. Maybe not alcohol baths, but the other common sense stuff.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:25 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Yes we absolutely should be eating well. We don't need "extra" vitamin D. We need however much our bodies require to function efficiently. Extra is either wasted, or harmful, in ANYTHING. Drinking too much water can make you sick. Eating too many fruits can make you sick. Conversely, not having enough can make you sick. Having the appropriate amount for your body is absolutely a must.

But that's not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread is "The best way to fight COVID-19/CPP VIRUS or any other virus for that matter!"

I think the "best" way to fight this virus, is what has been recommended by science - which, oddly enough, doesn't involve a single pharmaceutical or medical procedure. So it should be perfect for the alt-med folks:

Wash your hands.
Don't touch your face.

The best way to fight this virus is to listen to what officials (CDC, WHO, etc) are telling us to do. Wear a mask if you're out in public (such as at a store), wash hands, social distance and try to stay home as much as possible.

I lost a friend today. 56 yrs old, no pre-existing conditions and otherwise in good health. She was from Daytona Florida. Now her 30 yr old son is in the hospital with it. It's real and it's effecting everyone, not just the old and weak!

Stay safe!

Old 04-21-2020, 07:11 PM

9,858 posts, read 7,732,644 times
Quote:

You said exactly what I was thinking!

And yes, drink more water! From the very beginning, experts were saying that the virus could take hold of your body easier if you were dehydrated.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:16 PM

301 posts, read 164,763 times
Oregano oil kills viruses. I have used it to treat past bronchial issues due to the flu, and it works fast.
It also is good for killing bacteria and germs and it gets rid of fungus.
Alcohol kills viruses also. I have a shot of Vodka and gin with my tea at night to keep the bugs away

Old 04-21-2020, 07:42 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

Wash your hands.
Don't touch your face.

I'll just address this one aspect, since it's something I am quite passionate about.

Most people are somewhat deficient in vitamin D, unless they have been supplementing. If you have had your blood vitamin D level tested and know it is over 40, you're golden. If you haven't, and it's the end of the winter and you have been inside a lot, you can assume you need to take it. Years ago I tested low even though I live in sunny Southern California and spend a lot of time outside. It took several months of supplementing with 2000 iu/day to bring my level up over 40. This is a safe amount to take long-term, and unless someone has a condition which contraindicates oral vitamin D, I think everyone should seriously consider it.

It's well-known that an adequate blood level of vitamin D reduces the risk of catching flu and flu-like respiratory illnesses about as much as a flu shot; that is, by 40-50%. Do we know for sure that it is effective in combating COVID-19, no, but it's easy and it's cheap, and it improves the health of most body systems, so why the heck not.

It's also becoming apparent that just about everyone is going to catch this virus sooner or later. You can try to hide from it forever, which is probably not going to work unless you are really planning to stay isolated in your house for the rest of your life, or you can strengthen your body and your immune system and go out with less fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine