Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 03:47 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Salmon, sardines, mackerel and oysters are excellent sources of Vit-D.

I truly believe that a diet that contains appropriate amounts of micronutrients, that are highly bioavailable, can get you through tough times without too much trouble.

A "cure" for covid, close enough.
Great for people who like those things. I am not a fish or seafood lover, and would rather take a D supplement than eat mackerel or oysters every day!

Otherwise, I agree with you about the diet. A variety of fresh, whole foods are going to keep you a lot healthier than processed junk food.

Old 08-08-2020, 08:37 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
I live in Florida, get some sun (NO sunscreen) everyday when I walk or ride my bike. In addition I consume a lot of seafood, and also take a daily spoonful of good quality cod liver oil. I am 71 and my health is pretty robust. I do also make sure I get plenty of magnesium and potassium which one needs to pretty much run all systems of the body. Good food goes a long way to keeping one healthy, along with sun, fresh air, exercise and good sleep.

Old 08-24-2020, 07:37 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
So now... officially the medical establishment is calling for Vitamin D to avoid covid.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...268-0/fulltext

Quote:
it would seem uncontroversial to enthusiastically promote efforts to achieve reference nutrient intakes of vitamin D, which range from 400 IU/day in the UK to 600–800 IU/day in the USA. These are predicated on benefits of vitamin D for bone and muscle health, but there is a chance that their implementation might also reduce the impact of COVID-19 in populations where vitamin D deficiency is prevalent; there is nothing to lose from their implementation, and potentially much to gain.

Old 08-24-2020, 12:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,731,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
So now... officially the medical establishment is calling for Vitamin D to avoid covid.

Of course, the U.S. medical establishment has NOT shouted out on this healer....we know their mantra...I don't listen to them....Good news out of UK at least.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:50 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:

[snip]but there is a chance that their implementation might also reduce the impact of COVID-19 in populations where vitamin D deficiency is prevalent; there is nothing to lose from their implementation, and potentially much to gain.

From the snippet that you used to support your opinion - nothing there saying that a global useage of vitamin D can prevent COVID-19. It is specific to people who are deficient. And it isn't a prevention, it is a reduction of the impact. And it isn't an absolute, it's a possibility, of a chance.

In layman's terms:

If you are suffering from a deficiency in vitamin D, and up your vitamin D to the point where you're not deficient anymore, it's possible that maybe you might possibly not suffer from COVID-19. Though you might get it anyway, and if you do get it, you might suffer anyway. But hey it's cheap, so go ahead and try it.

For me, I'll do the non-pharma route that makes the most sense:

Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Social distance. Try not to touch your face.

No supplements or evil pharmaceuticals needed for any of that.

Old 08-26-2020, 02:57 PM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

I will never understand this.. there is something right there can improve your chances.. easy to take cheap... but to prove a point... and I guess the point is that Vitamins don't help you... you refuse to do it and do your darnedest to discourage anyone else from doing it.

And if in the end it doesn't..... you will have lost nothing from taking it.

But the reason people don't want you to take it is because they know it will work.

Have fun with your *mask* which is proven to be only "partially effective".

Old 08-26-2020, 03:01 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
[snip]but there is a chance that their implementation might also reduce the impact of COVID-19 in populations where vitamin D deficiency is prevalent; there is nothing to lose from their implementation, and potentially much to gain.

From the snippet that you used to support your opinion - nothing there saying that a global useage of vitamin D can prevent COVID-19. It is specific to people who are deficient. And it isn't a prevention, it is a reduction of the impact. And it isn't an absolute, it's a possibility, of a chance.

In layman's terms:

If you are suffering from a deficiency in vitamin D, and up your vitamin D to the point where you're not deficient anymore, it's possible that maybe you might possibly not suffer from COVID-19. Though you might get it anyway, and if you do get it, you might suffer anyway. But hey it's cheap, so go ahead and try it.

For me, I'll do the non-pharma route that makes the most sense:

Wear a mask. Wash your hands. Social distance. Try not to touch your face.

The most important words in the quote you reference are, There is nothing to lose from their implementation, and potentially much to gain.

Vitamin D supplements are inexpensive.

They aren't "Pharma."

At a normal dosage, they have no side effects.

A normal dosage will not result in an overdose.

Vitamin D may help reduce your chances of contracting Covid or of having serious symptoms.

Even if it doesn't, it won't hurt.

It boggles my mind that people are so resistant to such a simple thing.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:02 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,223,319 times
Quote:
I will never understand this.. there is something right there can improve your chances.. easy to take cheap... but to prove a point... and I guess the point is that Vitamins don't help you... you refuse to do it and do your darnedest to discourage anyone else from doing it.

But the reason people don't want you to take it is because they know it will work.

You are right...

There is "something right there" that can "improve your chances"....easy to use....CHEAP...completely safe and innocuous and yet YOU do your darndest to discourage anyone from using it...

It's called a MASK....and we know it WORKS....

But yeah take the worthless Vitamins that haven't been shown to do a thing....which have been PROVEN to be ineffective....

Old 08-26-2020, 04:55 PM

1,499 posts, read 885,292 times
Quote:

Actually there is nothing in Lancet that says they KNOW it will work..

Old 08-26-2020, 05:15 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:

So, how many people who take a multivitamin, OR a sufficient vitamin D suppement, OR are not presently deficient with vitamin D that they'd need to supplement anyway, have contracted Coronavirus?

What percentage of people who've contracted the virus, have been shown to NOT be deficient in vitamin D?

Vitamin D isn't an alt-med. I don't know why it's even in this forum. It's a vitamin supplement, and all the posts with valid links show that - as a supplement - to treat deficiency, it might have some potential of effect on reducing the risk of getting sick.

This is true even if there isn't any Coronavirus. It's a fact. Eliminating a deficiency by supplementing the appropriate vitamins/minerals to increase the amount in your system so it's no longer a deficiency, will contribute to good health.

That has nothing, zilch, nada, to do with alt-meds. It's not a treatment for sickness, other than rickets or other defiency-related illness. It is a vitamin supplement, nothing more or less.

It won't make people not get sick, unless their sickness is caused by a deficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine