Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 10:22 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,106,945 times

Advertisements

From Dr. Sircus and Brownstein

Quote:
Why would people need the larger doses of iodine? Why have iodine levels fallen 50% in the last 30 years? As I pondered these questions, I came to the conclusion that the toxicity of modern life must be impacting iodine levels. It is well known that the toxic halides, fluoride and bromide, having a similar structure as iodine, can competitively inhibit iodine absorption and binding in the body. Because of the elevated levels of toxic halides in the environment and in the food supply, iodine levels have not only fallen but larger amounts of iodine are necessary to correct iodine deficiency as well as to promote a detoxifying effect of heavy metals.
Dr.Brownstein also uses it as part of his Covid protocol. Japan has one of the highest iodine intakes, 1- 3mg , from kelp. So interesting they recommend so much more, 12.5mg(this is possible with a high kelp diet), and poke Mercola for recommending less. New subject to me, but really interesting, one thing that does give me pause is Brownstein doesnt recommend zinc or other immune nutrients for his Covid protocol. He also doesnt mention k2 for his high doses of vit D and A when ill.

From Linus Pauling institute
Quote:
long-term iodine intake above the tolerable upper intake level (UL) of 1,100 μg/day may increase the risk of thyroid disorders, including iodine-induced goiter and hypothyroidism
I havent seen a response from Browstein to the goiter issue, but he has been using this protocol for a long time.

Protocol Link

Quote:
Iodine Up to 50mg – Dr. Brownstein used to start people at 50mg, but apparently has recently been starting at lower doses like 12.5mg. I started with 2.5mg per day and added 2.5mg to my amount each week. Anytime I felt detox, I stopped iodine and researched my symptoms and tried nutrients related to the issue. Read more at whyiodine.com/which-iodine
Unrefined Salt 1/2 teaspoon – Unrefined just means quality natural salt that has not been refined and mixed with toxins for anti-caking etc. – Read more at whyiodine.com/salt
Magnesium 200mg – 400mg – More body weight and activity can increase demand. I try to get small amounts of chelated calcium as I take magnesium. I aim for 4 times as much magnesium as calcium. – Read more at whyiodine.com/magnesium
Selenium – 200mcg – 400mcg – Some people don’t utilize selenium well, and already have high levels without even supplementing. Read more at whyiodine.com/selenium
Vitamin C – 2,000mg – 5,000mg – I used small amounts of sodium ascorbate at first, just to make sure I was supporting anything that might need vit C. I eat good foods that have decent C content, I don’t need as much mg from real food sources. I also work on building up all of antioxidants, instead of just loading up on one. Read more at whyiodine.com/vitamin-c
Vitamins B2/B3(ATP Co-Factors) – Considered optional, but can be important in order to utilize iodine properly. May be wise to start with, and might not be necessary to continue with consistently. Read more at whyiodine.com/atp

Last edited by Rom623; 02-27-2021 at 10:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 05:21 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,359,683 times
Yes, I have been taking iodine off and on for a number of years, and I have Dr. Brownstein's book.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:46 PM

1,975 posts, read 1,106,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlecat View Post
Yes, I have been taking iodine off and on for a number of years, and I have Dr. Brownstein's book.
Dont feel it is worth staying on continually? Does he explain the goiter issue in his book?

Old 02-28-2021, 06:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,412,204 times
I heard we have low iodine because of the gourmet salts - no Morton's for people.
If you have cold hands or feet iodine might kelp....I mean help.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:00 AM

1,626 posts, read 1,359,683 times
I don't have the book in front of me right now (I loaned it to my doctor) but Dr. B debunks the theory that it increases goiter, since there is overwhelming evidence that iodine decreases or cures it. That is how iodized salt came to be in the first place. I'm going from memory here, but in the 1920's the rate of goiter in school-age children in the goiter belt (upper mid-west states) was something like 40%. So they did an experiment where they supplemented the children with (I thnk) 9 mg iodine, and within 2 years the goiter % had dropped precipitously, to like 1-3%. From the results of that experiment came the decision to add iodine to salt to give everyone a little supplementation.

As for hypoT, that is how he got started with iodine in the first place. He himself went to a doctor, was diagnosed with hypoT, and his doctor prescribed iodine. He felt so much better on it, that he started doing his own research and treating his patients with it. He has testimonials of patients throughout the book about how iodine helped them.

Dr. B says that 12.5 mg is the average intake for people eating a traditional Japanese diet, so actually that amount is not overly high.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:59 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,076,254 times
Yes, that's right. Army doctors during WWI first noticed that soldiers from the Great Lakes region, Appalachians and northwest area of the country had high incidence of goiter. It was then discovered that the soils there lacked iodine. The conventional theory (last I checked) is that the glaciers removed it when they receded. Iodized salt was the fix, but it doesn't take much.

If you eat plants and animals raised in those regions (the goiter belt), you are probably iodine deficient if you aren't eating iodized salt and/or seafood. The thyroid gland uses iodine to make thyroid hormone. Too little can lead to hypothyroidism. If your thyroid gland is overactive, it's recommended to lower iodine intake.

The soils in the states along the coastlines are high in iodine. Less iodine farther inland.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:35 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,076,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
From Dr. Sircus and Brownstein

Dr.Brownstein also uses it as part of his Covid protocol. Japan has one of the highest iodine intakes, 1- 3mg , from kelp. So interesting they recommend so much more, 12.5mg(this is possible with a high kelp diet), and poke Mercola for recommending less. New subject to me, but really interesting, one thing that does give me pause is Brownstein doesnt recommend zinc or other immune nutrients for his Covid protocol. He also doesnt mention k2 for his high doses of vit D and A when ill.

From Linus Pauling institute

I havent seen a response from Browstein to the goiter issue, but he has been using this protocol for a long time.

Protocol Link
The traditional Japanese diet is high in iodine. One must also consider that they have higher incidence of hyperthyroidism (Graves disease) and also thyroid cancer.

The average American diet includes very little iodine foods. It's safer to improve the diet, which would also increase Vitamin D, A, omega 3, selenium and other nutrients that many Americans aren't getting from the typical American cuisine of processed, packaged and fast foods.

Old 03-02-2021, 08:44 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
You can get iodine from Pink Salt. The problem with iodine is that you lose it very quickly if you drink a lot of coffee. So I try to add as much salt back everyday with every few cups of coffee I drink I add a teaspoon of salt. It's been working great. People need to put more natural salt into their daily diet than avoid salt. So much of our body's chemical process depends on electrolytes for proper function. Or else taking vitamin D supplements is a waste.

Old 06-16-2021, 12:53 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,784,983 times
I've been taking a drop of Iosol iodine daily for years, for all tissue health and thyroid and breasts for sure. I know I've discussed this issue over the years here.

Old 06-16-2021, 01:29 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,347,816 times
Just use plain old Morton's salt.

Done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine