Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 11:12 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/23/healt...ery/index.html

The CDC had to research what caused a tropical disease to manifest in the middle of North America. The answer: scented oil and “gemstones.”

Interesting read. People were spraying this stuff on their bed pillows!
Crazy. You never know what is in some of this stuff. Scary!

Old 10-27-2021, 11:47 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,403,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
What do you mean by "taking" essential oils? Some are labeled supplements and can be taken internally, but many cannot and it would be dangerous to do so.

On this particular issue the oil was sub-standard or polluted. That doesn't make all essential oils bad. That product might not even be a pure essential oil.

Good quality essential oils do "work" for many different ailments and issues.
Inhalation or applying to skin

Old 10-27-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Crazy. You never know what is in some of this stuff. Scary!
That's the problem with these things, they aren't regulated so you never really know what you are getting.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:05 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
For her ailments they did not work. Not sure what you were taking the essential oils for.
They don't "fix" my issues, but they are adjuncts to what I use otherwise. And again good quality oils go thru a lot of testing before they are out in the public for purchase and use. I buy all my oils from reputable health sites and stores.

Old 10-27-2021, 12:06 PM

1,250 posts, read 677,871 times
Quote:
That's the problem with these things, they aren't regulated so you never really know what you are getting.
There are some very good companies with quality oils. Some of them are MLMs, so some people have a problem with that model, but the oils are very good (doTerra, Young Living). Rocky Mountain oils and Eden's Garden are also very good and there are tons of others that are good.

Anything with artificial ingredients or labeled "perfume" is not a true essential oil.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
They don't "fix" my issues, but they are adjuncts to what I use otherwise. And again good quality oils go thru a lot of testing before they are out in the public for purchase and use. I buy all my oils from reputable health sites and stores.
Did the exact same as you, bought only the top reputable brands with no luck.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
There are some very good companies with quality oils. Some of them are MLMs, so some people have a problem with that model, but the oils are very good (doTerra, Young Living). Rocky Mountain oils and Eden's Garden are also very good and there are tons of others that are good.

Anything with artificial ingredients or labeled "perfume" is not a true essential oil.
Yep tried some of those on your list and they were garbage. Did nothing.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:26 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Did the exact same as you, bought only the top reputable brands with no luck.
I don't know what kind of Help you were looking for? But as I said EO are not the major healers some many want to believe. Diesel, just steer clear and if pharma works, go for them.

Old 10-27-2021, 02:29 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
The product in question wasn't aromatherapy. There are no essential oils in the product, even on the ingredients list, it doesn't say "lavender water" - which would be a commercial term for lavender-infused water, or the run-off of the lavender oil distillation process. It just says "water." That's not even distilled water. So it could be tap-water. Or water from the nearby lake. It doesn't specify.

It also says "fragrance" which means artificial. Essential oils are not marketed or sold as "fragrance." They're marketed and sold as essential oils. Last ingredient is polyethylene glycol octylphenyl ether, which is an emulsifier (it allows oil and water to mix).

So since there's a chemical emulsifier added, we can at least conclude that the fragrance added was added in oil form. That's it. That's all you can get from the ingredients list.

This isn't therapy, it has no therapeutic value at all.

Compare with peppermint oil, which is a digestive. Or camphor, which is still used today to combat chest colds. Or wintergreen, which is used in muscle rubs.

Those are therapeutic uses of essential oils.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:12 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
So it was not an essential oil, it was some artificial fragrance, the contaminant was a bacteria, and it came from India. This thread wasn't really about essential oils/aromatherapy after all. Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine