Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2021, 01:39 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Ditto, and by comprehending and applying it, I have personally improved my own health as have countless others. How about you? How is your health?

But you can't serve as your own control. We have no idea what your health would be if you had followed a different lifestyle...And No, chronic disease is not the result of diet-- it's genetic.

I won't hold my own lifestyle up as evidence, although I could. My diet constists almost excluselby of beef, potatoes and eggs, and eat a gallon of ice cream every week. At age 55 I was still playing competively in amatuer baseball with college ball players and recently rertired professionals. I played in Over-40 leagues until I was 60 and only quit then because my eyes gave out....At age 72, I'm in particulary good shape for age. I'm still as strong as a horse--and almost twice as smart. ...My chol? 320....My parents get all the credit. It's all genetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Don't forget, the cholesterol numbers don't tell the whole story, the particle size matters also, if your LDL (bad cholesterol) is the large, lofty size it won't stick in your arteries. The doctors won't tell you this or offer you the particle size testing because they want to push statins on you, so they scare you with the numbers.
You're right, but the real problem is that there's precious little data on cause & effect of chol vs artery disease. It's all "correlation." The statsitacal differences between particle size and total levels is too small to be of any practical value....BTW-- Hb level is postively correlated with CAD risk at about the same level as chol numbers, but nobody seems to be recommending ragular phlebotomy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2021, 12:40 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
But you can't serve as your own control. We have no idea what your health would be if you had followed a different lifestyle...And No, chronic disease is not the result of diet-- it's genetic.

I won't hold my own lifestyle up as evidence, although I could. My diet constists almost excluselby of beef, potatoes and eggs, and eat a gallon of ice cream every week. At age 55 I was still playing competively in amatuer baseball with college ball players and recently rertired professionals. I played in Over-40 leagues until I was 60 and only quit then because my eyes gave out....At age 72, I'm in particulary good shape for age. I'm still as strong as a horse--and almost twice as smart. ...My chol? 320....My parents get all the credit. It's all genetic.

You're right, but the real problem is that there's precious little data on cause & effect of chol vs artery disease. It's all "correlation." The statsitacal differences between particle size and total levels is too small to be of any practical value....BTW-- Hb level is postively correlated with CAD risk at about the same level as chol numbers, but nobody seems to be recommending ragular phlebotomy.
Very high or low Hgb can increase cardiac risks.

Old 12-30-2021, 09:28 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,295,079 times
Eat a plant based diet your Cholesterol numbers will look much better personally I choose seafood, and chicken as well. If you choose to eat high saturated fat foods probably need a Statin to control it. Many I know started with Statin's around 40 years old I tired it, but gave me side effects I didn't like. I decided to use diet to lower it the problem is most people when they are hungry not thinking about health they are thinking about taste "What taste good". When I'm hungry first thing I think of what can I eat that is healthy, and taste good. Most of the time you can find healthy foods that taste good might cost more but good health isn't cheap. Have to learn to give up high saturated fat foods which is lot I know. I still eat a stake once a year we go to a high end stake house. Exercise and keeping BMI normal range helps raise the HDL.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:15 AM

13 posts, read 9,034 times
A man’s triglyceride levels peak at the age of 45 to 65 years. This is the riskiest zone.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:37 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanFilipowicz View Post
A man’s triglyceride levels peak at the age of 45 to 65 years. This is the riskiest zone.
My husband's triglycerides were off the chart and he died suddenly of a massive heart attack at aged 62 - his first and only heart attack.

His triglycerides were so high that the doctors said it had to be genetic, and diet did absolutely nothing to lower the levels. Actually nothing worked.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:42 PM

Also, reminder here: Cholesterol and triglycerides are not the same thing. My husband's cholesterol was OK and diet did lower those numbers - it was the triglycerides that were crazy.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
A sure way to lower TG's is fish oil, whether the OTC versions or the Rx versions.
Not always - they had zero effect on my husband's triglyceride levels. Zero effect.

It wasn't for lack of trying - and he tried both OTC and prescription versions. Not a bit of an effect.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband's triglycerides were off the chart and he died suddenly of a massive heart attack at aged 62 - his first and only heart attack.

His triglycerides were so high that the doctors said it had to be genetic, and diet did absolutely nothing to lower the levels. Actually nothing worked.
Did he ever offer a cardiac stress test before his heart attack?

Old 01-15-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Did he ever offer a cardiac stress test before his heart attack?

He had several EKGs and I do think he had one cardiac stress test. (He passed all of them with flying colors.) He also had a scan of his arteries in his neck but that was several years ago and he was due for a new one a few months after he died (his previous scan was fine). He was coming up on a big round of cardiac tests in January 2021 but he died in August of 2020.

He was under regular care from his cardiologist and went to see him a couple of times a year. The week, THE WEEK, before he died, he told me, "When I get back, I am going to call my cardiologist and bump my appointment up because I think my meds may need to be tweaked." But every time he checked his blood pressure, it was fine (he checked it once a day and also if he felt off, which was rare but did happen). He died out of state, two days after he returned to work. He died suddenly in his truck while he was driving, but since he had just pulled out of a convenience store, he wasn't going fast, and he just drifted off the road and people who knew him saw it happen and ran to his truck but he was already gone by then.

In fact, the cardiologist had my cell number because I was easier to reach than he was, and they called to schedule the appointment in December, and I had the joy of telling them he had died of a massive heart attack a few months earlier. They were shocked.

Heck, I was shocked.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
He had several EKGs and I do think he had one cardiac stress test. (He passed all of them with flying colors.) He also had a scan of his arteries in his neck but that was several years ago and he was due for a new one a few months after he died (his previous scan was fine). He was coming up on a big round of cardiac tests in January 2021 but he died in August of 2020.

He was under regular care from his cardiologist and went to see him a couple of times a year. The week, THE WEEK, before he died, he told me, "When I get back, I am going to call my cardiologist and bump my appointment up because I think my meds may need to be tweaked." But every time he checked his blood pressure, it was fine (he checked it once a day and also if he felt off, which was rare but did happen). He died out of state, two days after he returned to work. He died suddenly in his truck while he was driving, but since he had just pulled out of a convenience store, he wasn't going fast, and he just drifted off the road and people who knew him saw it happen and ran to his truck but he was already gone by then.

In fact, the cardiologist had my cell number because I was easier to reach than he was, and they called to schedule the appointment in December, and I had the joy of telling them he had died of a massive heart attack a few months earlier. They were shocked.

Heck, I was shocked.
Sorry for your loss I didn't realize this happened recently. It's too bad they don't have a low cost screening method to scan the heart which worked well. Friend of mine gets a CT calcium score test once a year my GP said it was a gimmick to make money not really good test. My uncle who is a retired doctor he says the test is good cardiologist won't promote it because they can't make money on the test like they can with nuclear stress testing. Insurance companies won't pay for a nuclear stress test unless you tell doctor you had chest pain. Many people don't ever have chest pain before having a heart attack just suddenly happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine