Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2023, 05:28 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,708,515 times

Advertisements

Two days ago I started itching in various parts of my body. Not any of the poison ivy's, etc which I know well. Not insect bites.
If my doctor has office hours today I will try to get in. Because tomorrow is Saturday and if it gets unbearable, which it has become close to being, I don't want to have to go to Urgent Care.

I know that skin ailments often arise from stress. I am very stressed- due to move or not move, and due to the situation where I presently live.

I have tried calendula lotion and calamine lotion which only work temporarily.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had this itching, which they determined came from stress.
Also love to hear if any one has a natural topical remedy they suggest.

Thank you for your thoughts..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2023, 07:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Yes, I had itching with hives and angioedema/swelling for 20 years. I didn't believe it was from stress during that time, but everything magically went away once I divorced and I've been itch-free for 22 years now.

Doctors prescribed prednisone which I took for way too long and left me with vision problems. After I quit that, I used ice for relief as well as calendula. You might want to also try a lavender essential oil. Also spend time intentionally doing whatever helps you relax from stress - taking a walk, reading a book, etc.

Old 08-04-2023, 03:39 PM

Thanks for your reply.

wow! 20 years of hives and they went away with the divorce.
Glad you are now itch-free but

yeah- that prednisone is bad stuff. I know sometimes it can save a life, but they should not have let you take it for so long.

I have tried calendula. Didn't do anything. Today I tried some alove vera-- nope.

this morning I went to my doctor.
She prescribed 4 things-- 2 oral, 2 topical, one benedry, one steroid.
I concluded that my itching is due to my laundry detergent-- even tho it is 2 weeks since I did a wash, and it is not a new detergent.

but the itching is only in my groin area, and around my chest - which points to underwear.

Why now, why never before?
I think-- triggered by the intense stress I am under.

I didn't want to take any of those -- but I finally gave in, and am waiting for the delivery of the bebdryl oral. This itch is driving me crazy!

And I have been trying to meditate and do some yoga. Which I usually do but stopped when I got stressed.

thanks for your tips..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Yes, I had itching with hives and angioedema/swelling for 20 years. I didn't believe it was from stress during that time, but everything magically went away once I divorced and I've been itch-free for 22 years now.

Doctors prescribed prednisone which I took for way too long and left me with vision problems. After I quit that, I used ice for relief as well as calendula. You might want to also try a lavender essential oil. Also spend time intentionally doing whatever helps you relax from stress - taking a walk, reading a book, etc.

Old 08-04-2023, 06:46 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
might look into your iron - i've seen iron supplement help itching like you describe. another thing to consider is the digestive system/microbiome

Old 08-05-2023, 06:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Yes, you can become sensitive to foods and all sorts of things after not having issues with that item. Hope changing detergents is your answer.

Old 08-05-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Yes, you can become sensitive to foods and all sorts of things after not having issues with that item. Hope changing detergents is your answer.

I finally started taking the steroids today.
I am very leery of steroids, they can be dangerous.
But nothing was working. I do feel a little better. Have to take for 6 days. Hope this will get rid of the symptom, then I begin finding out what I am allergic to....

Old 08-06-2023, 11:46 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I have a teeny spot next to my spine above my shoulder blade that has itched for nearly forty years with no answer. Recently a neurologist suggested it might be due to nerve disturbance due to an otherwise symptomless cervical spine issue.

Good luck, ellenrr.

Old 08-13-2023, 05:42 PM

25,939 posts, read 22,089,429 times
Under wear area/chest makes me think that maybe sweating in those area due to the weather, exercise, etc. might cause an issue. You see, detergent builds up in fabric even though it goes through a rinse cycle. Think about the detergent being dried, and the sweat activating it. So, there could be a build up of detergent, and a rinse with white vinegar (about 1 cup in your rinse water) should help if that is the issue.

Old 09-05-2023, 11:33 AM

126 posts, read 146,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
Two days ago I started itching in various parts of my body. Not any of the poison ivy's, etc which I know well. Not insect bites.
If my doctor has office hours today I will try to get in. Because tomorrow is Saturday and if it gets unbearable, which it has become close to being, I don't want to have to go to Urgent Care.

I know that skin ailments often arise from stress. I am very stressed- due to move or not move, and due to the situation where I presently live.

I have tried calendula lotion and calamine lotion which only work temporarily.

I am wondering if anyone has ever had this itching, which they determined came from stress.
Also love to hear if any one has a natural topical remedy they suggest.

Thank you for your thoughts..
Hi,
Could be related to stress. Have you considered yoga or meditation or time outside in nature to help with lowering the stress?
Also, have your ferrtin and liver function tested to make sure they are within normal range. Do you have any food allergies? The itching could be related to high histamine in your diet.
Hope you find relief soon.

Old 01-01-2024, 08:39 AM

170 posts, read 74,050 times
psoriasis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Alternative Medicine