Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:27 PM

1 posts, read 16,442 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about Lake Havasu City, AZ? The only thing I do know is that there are basically no African Americans in that particular city. However, I hear the city is beautiful and is a popular vacation spot. I'm curious about the surrounding cities. I'd like someone's honest opinion about whether or not Lake Havasu City is a nice place for a young, professional African-American family. We also have a 3rd grader, so any information about schools would be great.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:48 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,613 times
Lake Havasu is catered more towards the older crowd, IMO. About 6-7* warmer than Phoenix on average. It shouldnt bother you that there arent any blacks there if thats where you really want to be. White, black or red, Lake Havasu is very nice.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:06 AM

105 posts, read 446,414 times
In general, most Arizonans are respectful of other races. There really aren't any African American neighborhoods that I am aware of, anywhere in Arizona. All of the African American friends that I have had in Phoenix Metro each lived in a different neighborhood (about 12 friends). I have been to Havasu quite a few times. There is a lot money moving there, relatively speaking. Much of it older retirees from PHX and California. I hate the heat, and so I don't particularly like it. It does have some of the cleanest air in America (People magazines best places to live website says so, anyway). The area around the lake is nice, and the lake is one of the most consistent in terms of area and how full it is at any given time; so in that regard it will stay pretty. The area south of LHC is nice (scenery wise); although smaller in population and seems a little less ritzy. I have a good acquaintance from LHC and he said when he lived there they didn't even have school busses for the kids because the retirees didn't want to pay for it (don't know if that is true or not, or to what extent). As far as being African American, I don't think that would be much different than anywhere else in Arizona, other than you may have to drive toward Phoenix or Las Vegas to find a sizable group of people with more shared experiences in terms of culture. I don't think you would have any trouble finding African American friends in the towns around Havasu, but any large gatherings would probably be in the bigger cities. I think Las Vegas has twice as many African Americans as percentage of total population than Phoenix (10% to 5%). I am using that as an indirect gauge since I think LHC and environs is pretty similar to Phoenix. Sorry, much of this is non-specific I know. Lived in Phoenix Metro most of my life and I have a few ties to Havasu that take me there about 5 or six times a year; for about a week each time. Weather wise, I believe LHC and Bullhead (north of LHC) are THE hottest places in Arizona (a very hot state), Lake Havasu has the Arizona all time record high of 128 degrees! Of course, lack of sprawl allows it to cool pretty well at night. So you can gauge any knowledge on that frame of reference. Hope that helps somewhat.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:32 AM

82 posts, read 371,017 times
LHC is NOT the place to raise a family. I don't think its very culturally diverse either. Silvermountain is right, theres no school buses for the kids, and the school are horrible at best. Check out Scottsdale or Paradise Valley, those might be nice options.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:52 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,759,139 times
Way too hot for me. I probably would come up and look on the west side and the nicer spots central to Phoenix or the east side in Gilbert. There are so many nicer areas more progressive in terms of shopping than L.H. Just my two cents. Good luck in your search.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:29 PM

230 posts, read 583,827 times
I'm African-American. I've been living in Southern Ariz. for about 1.5 years. I wish someone would have told me 1.5 years ago not to move here. There are few African-Americans here for a very good reason. Arizona is the most prejudiced state in on the west coast. It is the souths equivalent of Mississippi. The school system is lacking. I never thought I'd see a school system worse than Cali, but it is. I have to drive my children to a different school system. It's okay but not great. My daughter has been called the "n" word by another Kinder at school. Luckily, she didn't know what it meant. Other children exclude her.One girl said, "Don't play with her, she doesn't look like us". Raytheon hires many African-Americans with good salaries and packages. Most do their time(about 3 years) then leave. They can't take the small mindedness and cultural isolation. I struggle, but I'm a fighter. I just don't believe in letting anyone or anyplace get the best of me. Still, I wish I had never come. Many other African-Americans I talk to feel the same way. They all plan to leave in a certain amount of years. I'm sure this blog will get people (who have not walked in my shoes) to say it's the opposite. The people who are from here don't realize the problem because they are used to it. You only know it's a big (and bitter) difference if you come from out of the state. Just remember this: there is no black nucleus, no black owned stores, no cultural places to eat food we enjoy, no black hair salons, nothing. I live in a huge, comfortable home. My husband makes a nice salary. Still, that will never replace the feelings of being culturally and socially isolated. Just don't do it. You will thank me!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,759,139 times
What a shame.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:15 AM

6 posts, read 41,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annibelle View Post
I'm African-American. I've been living in Southern Ariz. for about 1.5 years. I wish someone would have told me 1.5 years ago not to move here. There are few African-Americans here for a very good reason. Arizona is the most prejudiced state in on the west coast. It is the souths equivalent of Mississippi. The school system is lacking. I never thought I'd see a school system worse than Cali, but it is. I have to drive my children to a different school system. It's okay but not great. My daughter has been called the "n" word by another Kinder at school. Luckily, she didn't know what it meant. Other children exclude her.One girl said, "Don't play with her, she doesn't look like us". Raytheon hires many African-Americans with good salaries and packages. Most do their time(about 3 years) then leave. They can't take the small mindedness and cultural isolation. I struggle, but I'm a fighter. I just don't believe in letting anyone or anyplace get the best of me. Still, I wish I had never come. Many other African-Americans I talk to feel the same way. They all plan to leave in a certain amount of years. I'm sure this blog will get people (who have not walked in my shoes) to say it's the opposite. The people who are from here don't realize the problem because they are used to it. You only know it's a big (and bitter) difference if you come from out of the state. Just remember this: there is no black nucleus, no black owned stores, no cultural places to eat food we enjoy, no black hair salons, nothing. I live in a huge, comfortable home. My husband makes a nice salary. Still, that will never replace the feelings of being culturally and socially isolated. Just don't do it. You will thank me!
This REALLY pisses me off! If a had a penny for everytime I was called a honky or cracker! I moved from AZ to Mississippi and too many of the blacks want to live "separating" themselves rather than being part of a larger picture of a diverse community. I wish someone had told me to never move to Mississippi - the reverse discrimination is abominable! The blacks have “their” places and God forbid if you go there as a white person! Heck – there is a Wal –Mart here that apparently BELONGS to the blacks and the black cashiers will close out their drawer or turn their back and leave for break when it’s your turn in line. Then they giggle about it with the manager! Just one of many experiences that has taught me what racism is – I did not learn it from the black friends I had growing up in AZ. SO RUDE! I could say “unprofessional” but the words would be lost on people who practice such trivial behavior. Racism does not apply specifically to black people!
You all could learn a lesson of two from our Mexican population! I went to high school and college in AZ and most of my friends were of different races than my self - didn't matter one bit! If someone asked me what race a friend of mine was – I’d really have to think about it – it’s transparent. I’d probably asked them to clarify the question! In my experience, blacks from the south seem to want to draw lines between cultures. However on a positive note - the black behavior I have experienced has given me a new APPRECIATION for AZ Hispanic population with their real struggles and how well they assimilate in to their communities. I'm sure if someone said "hang em high" it would mean something totally different to you - than it does to us in Arizona. You would be ready to scream and sue whoever said it.. Get over it or please leave.

Old 10-20-2007, 10:20 AM

6 posts, read 41,776 times
To the original poster - please do not judge AZ by above post - utter non sense. It's a great place and we ALL try to get along. I wish you and your family the best - hope you do end up in AZ - it's always nice to bring in more professionals. However, sadly it is a "hick" town. You probably would like the Phoenix area better.

Old 10-20-2007, 11:30 AM

430 posts, read 1,264,834 times
And to the original poster-please do not judge Tucson by above post - utter nonsense! Tucson is nice place to live and has it's "issues" just like Phoenix has IT'S issues....where you live and how comfortable you are there is in your hands, it's what you make of it.

O.Nana
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona