Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,732 times

Advertisements

I have 40 acres in Juniper. That ive owned for 2 years . Im high up . 17 miles after i exit 89 into juniper woods .. Im up high .. I had to build my own road .. The residents mantian only the roads that they use .. Some good some bad roads .takes me almost a hour to get to my property..I have a 36 foot trailer that i put on my property... I dont live there full time .. My getaway place .. For water i have about 1000 gallons worth of storage... I buy my water at a water station in Ashfork... 1 cent a gallon... I can put 200 gallons in tank i put in back of pick- up .. Then with small 12 volt water pump i transfer water into my storage tanks ... Then fro storage tank into trailer tank .. Since I dont live there I dont use alot .. My neaber catches water .. He fills a 5000 gallon tank . It does get the monsoon ... They seem to be able to live off that .. As long as you dont have a garden... Myself I only use my water for bathing ... And washing dishes ... The toilet When full ( i put enzymes in it for The environment .. When 1/2 full i empty into a portable tank with wheels. .. The I go away from trailer big a hole and dump it then after it soaks in I cover it up .. No smell . My neabor has a perk license.. My soaks in fast .. Since im only there part time I only dump it maybe 3 times a year .. My gray water i drain with a hose on my pinyon Pines ... I take a shower every day but i do try to conserve ... I use battery power but keep them charged with a small generator... Dont need much power stve and refrigerator on gas .. And water heater ..dosnt use much gas .. Only thing i could advise only because i found out .. Not all roads are easement ... If your up there looking and just following roads if you see a keep out sign on the road they mean it .. Most the toads anrt easement... You might see a armed response... Or you might get a letter with pictur of your car trespassing... Most have trail cams .. Three different spots i have trail cams .. But to get to my place you would have to go through my friends 100 acres that is fimced with electronic gate .. Im sure there are bad people up there .. I havnt ran into them . I have two other neabors who live there full time.. They have got the off grid thing going .. One has pigs , chickens , ducks ,geese... And a green house that he grows tobacco, and all his vegetables... Amy of the other things ive read here could be true .. As far as drugs and the cops watching.. Ive never seen anykind of police up here .. The ambulances dont come in very far .. You would have to get to bullock road .. Also we have moutian lions , bob cats , wild boar , elk , deer ... And Coyotes ,, so having a weapon of some kind is advised .. Seems like more and more people buying up there and building houses .. But closer to the road then i am .. I see them ..my view is to the North west ... Im up high so i can see interstate 40 .. I love the quite... I can hear a vehicle 1/2 mile before they get to me ...Again pay attention to keep out .. But on that note never herd of anyone getting shot for being lost .. Stealing a different think .. Most are well armed to over armed ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,470 times
I just bought 40 acres in ashfork and I was told you didn't need permits if what your building is under 456 sq ft. So we were going to build a mini cabin.

Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 PM

14 posts, read 23,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffy123 View Post
I just bought 40 acres in ashfork and I was told you didn't need permits if what your building is under 456 sq ft. So we were going to build a mini cabin.

No matter what anyone tells you check with county officials. Do it anonymously if you like but check with the county first. Then decide if you want to get the permits if required.

I was told via online forum that it was illegal to collect rainwater off your roof. I called every county I was considering purchasing property and told that wasn't true, they actually encourage rainwater collection.

I have said this in the past, codes and permits are two very different things. Building codes are standards for safe construction and should always be followed, permits are documents that allow the local governments to inspect and tax you on your improvements.

Good luck on your build!
dave

Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,052 times
What is required if i wanted to dig ponds and swells or small dam in a wash to capture rain water. Can't find any info on county website

Old 07-10-2018, 09:25 PM

14 posts, read 23,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phippssm View Post
What is required if i wanted to dig ponds and swells or small dam in a wash to capture rain water. Can't find any info on county website
How well do you know the wash or area that you wish to build? Every dam that I have seen built has been for a road going thru a wash. They last until the next monsoon season. I am not traveling thru all of Juniperwood ranch however, that is why I asked how well you know where you want to build/construct. Second, depending what you want to use it for may depend on if you want to build. This cow tank (location 35.113707, -112.630657) dried up last summer, At one point last year it was filled to almost the fencing. That was almost 3 acres. Depth? Not sure but I'll take a guess that the deepest is about 10 feet. My point is that unless you plane on sucking the water out and holding it in tanks it may evaporate before you can use it.

Let's assume you don't care about all that...i didn't, I dug a VERY SMALL pond and put a liner in it. Local fauna love it. I have to add water constantly. I haul water to it and when I clean my tank that water goes in. With me that's a labor of love. But like I said it's tiny, a good size...OK, really good size for a residential koi pond but for out here, it's tiny. You may find that calling the county offices may be quicker. Be as anonymous as you can to get an answer. It may be beneficial to call it a cow tank or livestock watering hole.

Sorry about the lack of specifics but most of the folks out where I live don't really contact the county about anything. Lord knows they don't do much for us.

Dave

Old 07-12-2018, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,052 times
Thanks for the info i was thinking to use it more for garden and fruit trees. But sounds like i would need a large pond to last thru the dry season. I may just need to find land that i can do a well, maybe Sierra Verde ranch area i hear the water table is better

Old 12-30-2018, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,783 times
Am brand new to forum...and have been researching almost all of AZ.

Have really been drawn to the Ash Fork area, but quite frankly...I'm reading a lot of negative stuff about the area.
I am planning a trip mid-January to see for myself, but am second guessing that now.

Are their any locals or newbies that have any good things to say?
Am contemplating a piece in Juniperwood, and understand fully the water and power issues, but it sounds like the codes and permit folks are taking a page out of California.

Is there any good news about the area?

Old 02-01-2024, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 170 times
I would recommend you look at the website for yavapai county. They do in fact enforce building codes and I have seen friends and family have to tear down structures that were not built with a building permit. Dave yourself allot of time and a ton of money and contact the county for building permits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona