Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 09:21 AM

6,408 posts, read 8,999,166 times

Advertisements

As I understand it, this legislation was brought forth and passed after an incident in another state where a photographer was sued for refusing his/her services at a gay wedding.

I know it's not politically correct but I believe said photographer (or any private enterprise) should have the right, without legal retaliation, to associate with whomever they want for whatever reason.

Those choosing to engage in such denial, however, should be aware of the negative impact it may have on their image and bottom line.

As for the law just passed, well it's not officially a law and I have doubts Brewer will sign it, I'd have to read the document before making a decision. Knowing the slippery cretins who passed it, there's probably some other stuff in there as well. The GOP leadership loves to sneak in other things into their legislation.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,661,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Lol, it's an Arizona bill...it can't "supersede" federal law. It can only have ramifications against groups that are not protected under federal law.

So much for accuracy...
I stand corrected on that front. [mod cut- rude]

Last edited by observer53; 02-21-2014 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-21-2014, 09:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,661,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
As I understand it, this legislation was brought forth and passed after an incident in another state where a photographer was sued for refusing his/her services at a gay wedding.

I know it's not politically correct but I believe said photographer (or any private enterprise) should have the right, without legal retaliation, to associate with whomever they want for whatever reason.

Those choosing to engage in such denial, however, should be aware of the negative impact it may have on their image and bottom line.

As for the law just passed, well it's not officially a law and I have doubts Brewer will sign it, I'd have to read the document before making a decision. Knowing the slippery cretins who passed it, there's probably some other stuff in there as well. The GOP leadership loves to sneak in other things into their legislation.
I see your point but do you really think it should be legal for a restaurant to refuse service to black people, for example? I'm all for freedom but some things need protection from stupidity.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:25 AM

768 posts, read 1,761,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Okay just moved to Arizona, but I have to say Im really disappointed with this freedom bill that was just passed. Really shocked and surprised that this was passed considering its a form of discrimination. Correct me Im wrong, but we are all equal, whether black, white, straight, gay, male, female. Way to turn back the hands of time Arizona
Welcome to AZ

Old 02-21-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I see your point but do you really think it should be acceptable for a restaurant to refuse service to black people, for example? I'm all for freedom but some things need protection from stupidity.
Legally, yes. Morally, no. A private business owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason. I believe a restaurant legally be able to refuse service to white people, brown people, black people, tall people, blonde people, pretty people..or even legislators.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:35 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,491,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Incorrect. There is no mention of homosexuals in the bill. It would give a business owner the right to refuse service to ANYONE if they claim doing so burdens their exercise of religion. This would allow people to discriminate against anyone, including straight Christians.
I do not know anything about this bill but that is exactly how I interpreted it. It must be stopped.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Legally, yes. Morally, no. A private business owner should have the right to refuse service to anyone for whatever reason. I believe a restaurant legally be able to refuse service to white people, brown people, black people, tall people, blonde people, pretty people..or even legislators.

Problem is, a restaurant is a "place of public accommdation" as defined by federal antidiscrimination laws, and is in fact prohibited from discriminating on the basis of membership in any number of classes protected by federal law.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Problem is, a restaurant is a "place of public accommdation" as defined by federal antidiscrimination laws, and is in fact prohibited from discriminating on the basis of membership in any number of classes protected by federal law.
I was asked a hypothetical question and gave a hypothetical response. Federal law was irrelevant to the answer. As I stated in a previous post Brewer likely will not sign this as it will be purely "symbolic" and lead to an unnecessary mess.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,491,371 times
Quote:
How is it legal to refuse to serve people? I do not understand.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,240,657 times
Quote:
No they shouldn't

It's a condition of them operating as a licensed operation in their jurisdiction ..... if they don't want to deal with the conditions of being licenses then don't open up shop

Just because you put up capital and have an idea doesn't give you free reign
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona