Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 02:41 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,235,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood1 View Post
Nature has a ways to engrave an image in our brains (read memory). Like Salmon, we cannot help to want to return to where we were born. Returning to our place of birth is in fact returning home, and home is where the heart is. We all long to touch, feel, smell, listen, to re-live the memories of our place of birth, our childhood or the source of sweet memories. . Knowing that we can always visit "home" from time to time, iis often all it takes to quiet those ... oh you know what I mean. In essence it all becomes very acceptable that things most missed are often the memories of "the good old days which were not always so good anyway. Visit often you will be ok.
Very true.

If a community reminds me of SoCal (courtesy of my watching TV as a kid 40+ years ago) or Charleston, W Va. (pleasant memories); I want to relive the above..........

Now: if I am strongly reminded of Wash DC (born/raised)...........I flee ASAP.

So; yes, memories can be a double edged sword.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:33 PM

10 posts, read 34,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaShadow View Post
It would be hard for anyone to be more "salt water conditioned" than myself. Our back yard was the sands of L.I. Sound. My mother always said that when we kids were born, she immediately took us out back and tossed us into the water. We were totally at home in the water before we could walk. By now of course, the whole country has tried to migrate to and cover every inch of shore space with houses/businesses and the water with noisy, polluting watercraft of every kind. No need to go into the deterioration of water quality. I can hike here undisturbed, except for wildlife, through endless miles of wilderness even to the point of leaving the state. This is one time where remembrances of "the good old days" of a clean, quiet, beautiful ocean make thoughts of returning impossible.

Aaaahhh the ocean, nothing except the beauty of Az can come close. I am 51 and have been in Az now for 4+ years and absolutely love it. Prior to Az, I lived all of my life on the east coast in NJ within 30 mins of the Atlantic Ocean. My summers as a child were spent at my Grandparents (both sets) out on Long Island in Amagansett and East Hampton within walking distance to the waters of LI Sound. Absolutely the best memories. I do miss the ocean it has always been in my life - - but the beauty here is truly amazing and I would not go back east for anything! Hiking the endless wilderness with room to roam, peace and quiet, the georgeous night sky with all the stars, rainbows after monsoons, shooting stars, beautiful stunning mountain colors, bugleing Elk, the howling of coytoes, I could go on and on. I hit the jackpot moving to Az.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:36 PM

13,320 posts, read 21,948,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paysonite View Post
Aaaahhh the ocean, nothing except the beauty of Az can come close. I am 51 and have been in Az now for 4+ years and absolutely love it. Prior to Az, I lived all of my life on the east coast in NJ within 30 mins of the Atlantic Ocean. My summers as a child were spent at my Grandparents (both sets) out on Long Island in Amagansett and East Hampton within walking distance to the waters of LI Sound. Absolutely the best memories. I do miss the ocean it has always been in my life - - but the beauty here is truly amazing and I would not go back east for anything! Hiking the endless wilderness with room to roam, peace and quiet, the georgeous night sky with all the stars, rainbows after monsoons, shooting stars, beautiful stunning mountain colors, bugleing Elk, the howling of coytoes, I could go on and on. I hit the jackpot moving to Az.
Great post! It's refreshing to see somebody else enjoying AZ as much as I do.

Oh and yes, I've lived on both the east coast as well as the west coast.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:15 PM

551 posts, read 2,732,288 times
Simple answer: Definitely!

Old 09-27-2008, 08:14 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,107,256 times
I think it depends on where you live in AZ. I miss the ocean but I live in a crowded suburban area of Phoenix. So I miss water period. lol Now, if I lived somewhere with a gorgeous view of anything, or color of any kind I think it wouldn't be as bad. The water calms me though, walks on the beach, especially during the less crowded colder months are the best for me. I miss that. Oh, and the salt air clearing my head, I miss that as well.

Old 09-29-2008, 12:43 AM

173 posts, read 405,961 times
Yeah, I severely miss water. You don't get used to it with time, and you just keep being disappointed by the lack of it.

It does help you appreciate it more, though!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:25 AM

27,443 posts, read 27,476,178 times
I left Az to come to Calif and love that the beach is now just a couple of hours from here, depending on which beach ya choose. Beaches are nice, the air is so fresh, but I wouldnt want to live right there.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,354,003 times
Yes. And always will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: