Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,891 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm looking for anyone who is familiar with the real estate in Sierra Vista, AZ.

My husband is currently stationed at Fort Huachuca completing his AIT training. He will be there until this coming September, which he will then receive his first PCS order. I'm hoping to move there within the next couple of weeks; Early May or Late April.

I've been looking at a few apartments. It's just my husband and I, so we're just looking for a small, cozy place before we get more permanent arrangements. Of course, we're also on a tight budget. However, the biggest issues I'm having with finding a place is, A) Location and B) Furniture

A) He's from MA, so he doesn't think his old car will make the drive down to AZ. He doesn't have anyone to drive it down. So getting him on base is a big issue. So far, he's looking to see if he can get a ride from a buddy for a couple of months until we can purchase another car. I'm even further up north and looking to get a vehicle this summer. However, I'm not quite sure how that will pan out. I don't want to rely on a car, just in case it doesn't happen and we're in a predicament. So we need a place that is somewhat nearby base.

B) We're only staying in AZ for 5-6 months, so we don't see a point in moving all our things down there (i.e furniture). As of right now, it'll be a couple of thousand of dollars to do so. It's not worth it, especially since we will be moving so shortly again. So we need a furnished apartment.

I've found a few affordable, close-by apartments with furniture, but the problem is that the more research I do on these locations, the worse they sound. I'm not looking for a fancy place, because budget is important, but I do want to move somewhere that is safe and in a livable condition. Some reviews consists of roaches, uncleanliness, broken laundry facilities and "ghetto" neighbourhoods.

Because I am so far away, and we're in a bit of a time crunch, it's not very plausible for me to go down and look at place. My husband has a very messy schedule, that is always changing (even on weekends), so I'm not sure how much time he can take out to look at places.

So I'm looking to see if there are any Sierra Vista natives/Fort Huachuca Natives that are familiar with apartments down there? What were your experiences like? What places were "nicer"? What do you recommend for short-term stay? Anything that I should be aware of/prepared for? Any other advice would be welcomed. This is my first time moving in with my husband, we're both fairly young, so I'm pretty ignorant to all this stuff. I could really use some help!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 12:00 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,964,247 times
Not a native, but I happen to be down here myself as a civilian trainer. There are some apts right outside the main gate that offer furnished, utilities paid. BTW Army "bases" are called "Posts." The Air Force has bases. Just nice to know before you play checkers with the Post Commander, or his wife!

I'll try and get the number off the sign and pm it to you tomorrow.

I wouldn't worry about furniture, buy a new mattress for $200 and hit garage sales for a couple weeks. You need a decent car in AZ, it gets very hot in summer with long distances between help. I'd sell the old car and stuff in MA and just buy as you get transfered.

As for bugs, bomb regularly, seal any visible openings. Check do it yourself pest control .com for more info.

There aren't any "ghetto" areas that I've seen. A little run down, but the town seems pretty safe. But then I'm a firearm instructor. LOL.

Welcome to AZ!

Buy a gun.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:12 PM

308 posts, read 792,160 times
You could check into the Sierra Vista Extended Stay on Wilcox Dr. They recently changed their name from Suburban Extended Stay. Sun Canyon Inn or the one next door to them on N. Garden Ave may have extended stay suites too. Most of the apartment complexes will want a lease, I believe.

Old 03-25-2015, 10:40 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,949,931 times
I was at Huachuca for 6 months for 35G training. A few people in our company lived off-post with their significant others. My $0.02: don't. It's not worth the hassle.

Formation is every morning, Monday thru Friday. If he's late for first formation, he's counseled. No excuses. Traffic coming in through Main and East Gates can get backed up in the mornings, with all the permanent party and instructors commuting in. Then he's on post, in company formation, all day (breaking off into classrooms in the SCIF). They march to the DFAC for lunch, then back to class. Class is over at around 1600, then march back to the barracks / company area for CoB ("call of business" / final formation). After that, he's released until the next morning formation.

I've seen several people do the same thing that you're planning. The money they spend moving all their stuff down, and moving it all out 6 months later is ridiculous. Buying a car in Arizona isn't a terrible idea (they're fairly cheap here, and rust free), but then comes the hassle of moving it. If he's a 35G (28 week school, which fits with the 5-6 months you mentioned), he could literally be sent anywhere in the world. Several active duty people I went to school with went to Korea or Alaska. A handful went to upstate New York, some to Kansas, others to Georgia, and a few to Germany. You get no say, and you get no idea until about 2 weeks before graduation. You uprooting yourself for 6 months isn't worth it.

If you've got a job wherever you are now, this is even more true. The job market in Sierra Vista is already over-saturated with military spouses. Not many places will hire someone who's only going to be in town for 6 months, so (to put it bluntly), you'd essentially be nothing but a drain on his finances. The money he could be saving would instead be spent on an apartment, food for the two of you, doing things on weekends... You would honestly spend less money flying into town once a month for a weekend visit. The money he could potentially save would be MUCH better spent settling into his permanent duty station.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 AM

4,610 posts, read 6,385,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab591 View Post
I was at Huachuca for 6 months for 35G training. A few people in our company lived off-post with their significant others. My $0.02: don't. It's not worth the hassle.

Formation is every morning, Monday thru Friday. If he's late for first formation, he's counseled. No excuses. Traffic coming in through Main and East Gates can get backed up in the mornings, with all the permanent party and instructors commuting in. Then he's on post, in company formation, all day (breaking off into classrooms in the SCIF). They march to the DFAC for lunch, then back to class. Class is over at around 1600, then march back to the barracks / company area for CoB ("call of business" / final formation). After that, he's released until the next morning formation.

I've seen several people do the same thing that you're planning. The money they spend moving all their stuff down, and moving it all out 6 months later is ridiculous. Buying a car in Arizona isn't a terrible idea (they're fairly cheap here, and rust free), but then comes the hassle of moving it. If he's a 35G (28 week school, which fits with the 5-6 months you mentioned), he could literally be sent anywhere in the world. Several active duty people I went to school with went to Korea or Alaska. A handful went to upstate New York, some to Kansas, others to Georgia, and a few to Germany. You get no say, and you get no idea until about 2 weeks before graduation. You uprooting yourself for 6 months isn't worth it.

If you've got a job wherever you are now, this is even more true. The job market in Sierra Vista is already over-saturated with military spouses. Not many places will hire someone who's only going to be in town for 6 months, so (to put it bluntly), you'd essentially be nothing but a drain on his finances. The money he could be saving would instead be spent on an apartment, food for the two of you, doing things on weekends... You would honestly spend less money flying into town once a month for a weekend visit. The money he could potentially save would be MUCH better spent settling into his permanent duty station.
Words of wisdom...as difficult as it may be to put your emotions aside, re-read these words several times before you make a move.

Good Luck
Gemstone1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona