Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 02:31 PM

6,315 posts, read 6,862,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I think I broke the quiz, it tells me there is an error and to check back later.

I've lived in a few different places so I'm curious fit the results. On a lot of the questions I use multiple answers, but tried to go with what I use most often now
I got an error the first time I took it. I got it to work on my second time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 03:35 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,640,076 times
I was in the region. It's those key words that are unique to each region that get you.
I remember being told I had an accent, but only from those who I thought also had the accent. lol

Old 02-16-2016, 09:10 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,987,820 times
Ha, ha, I tried to fake it out and answered the opposite of what I did the first time. This time it put me in N'Oleans which is pretty close to my fake southern drawl, y'all.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,272,637 times
My results are interesting. They matched me with Fresno, Milwaukee and Madison.

As far as tone and what we frequently consider accent I sound nothing like Wisconsin, but I can see how some of the phrasing is there.

My most distinctive answer for Madison was frontage road. A team I now use, but didn't even know existed until visiting my family in Albuquerque. Also I now use yard sale most frequently, although growing up that wasn't the case

Even with that my map was glowing red in the southern tier/finger lakes area of upstate ny and dipping down into PA. Central Arizona was also bright red.

Texas into Louisiana and Oklahoma and Arkansas were my only cool spots on the map with neutral areas throughout the south and Pacific northwest and upset Midwest

Old 02-17-2016, 09:33 AM

13,287 posts, read 21,914,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
This dialect test was created at Harvard. It's VERY accurate. Arizonans actually have our own dialect.

It will break it down by City. The uploaded didn't pinpoint the cities, but the test actually matched me with Glendale/Phoenix/Tucson. It picks the three cities you speak most like, all of mine were in AZ.

Enjoy Folks.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-quiz-map.html
Whoa -- nailed the neighborhood in Mass where I grew up almost perfectly!

Old 02-17-2016, 02:35 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,987,820 times
Remember this is a dialect test, dealing with the words you use, not an accent. So if you really say you all, it will put you differently than if ya say yawl.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:57 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,343,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
interestingly, Iowa has been determined by linguists to be the state with the "least" accent, I've read....

I presume anybody has an accent if you're talking to somebody from far afield.....even rural vs. urban Arizona has noticeable distinctions, of course....

I was thinking the same. Most of Iowa has no accent, unless you get into the northern part where the northern accent of Minnesota or the Dakotas starts to trickle in.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 PM

249 posts, read 189,677 times
As far as I know there's no distinct Arizona accent, it's like California----a generic American blend of many different tongues.
Sometimes there might be some phony western or cowboy accents but it's likely not genuine. Anyone that talks in that accent is usually a poser and nothing more.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:43 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
As far as I know there's no distinct Arizona accent, it's like California----a generic American blend of many different tongues.
Sometimes there might be some phony western or cowboy accents but it's likely not genuine. Anyone that talks in that accent is usually a poser and nothing more.
Harsh words for starting off with as far as I know...

Dialect and styles vary by region, we have one like anywhere else.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:43 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,165,198 times
Lol I've never heard anybody speak in a cowboy or Western accent down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona