Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 02:12 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times

Advertisements

My favorite spot is Shoshone Point. Ask for a map at the gate, and ask if they'll point you to Shoshone (pronounced something like "shoe-show-knee"). You'll turn towards Desert Watchtower, and drive about 2 miles, passing two or three overlook pull-offs. There's a tiny wooden sign pointing out Shoshone point, and a small gravel parking lot that could hold maybe 6-8 cars (blink and you miss it). It's about a 10 minute walk to the rim, but it's a pretty unspoiled view, and not usually packed with tourists.

Unfortunately, the picnic tables / pavilion at Shoshone can be rented out for private events (it's a common wedding destination, for example), so on a busy holiday weekend it might be occupied. In all the times I've gone, though, I've only ever seen a handful of people on the trail, and have never personally seen the pavilion occupied.

My favorite place for sunset is Moran Point. It gets crowded, so go early. From the parking / overlook area, to to the right / north, and walk to the end of the sidewalk. There's a dirt path that'll take you closer to the rim (you'll usually see other people down there). Much better views, and slightly less people.

It's all 2 lane roads. Traffic will be bad. I also don't particularly suggest driving at night, especially if you're tired from a full day of sight seeing. Lodging in the village is affordable, book it. At night, there's Elk. Lots of them. And no cell service between GC Village and Williams or Flagstaff. Hit an Elk and end up on the side of the road in the middle of the night? No fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 02:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
The Grand Canyon Railway travels 130 miles round-trip from Williams to the South Rim, with daily departures scheduled from both Williams and the Grand Canyon.

https://www.thetrain.com/the-train/

I know first-hand that train is prone to robberies by masked desperados

Old 05-18-2016, 10:01 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
though you said you'll be just doing this as a daytrip, cab591's post reminded me to highly, Highly, HIGHLY suggest you book a room overnight AT the rim village itself inside the Park (South Rim - not in Tusayan, Williams, or Flag).....if you can manage the time.........sunset and sunrise, especially at a less-visited viewpoint away from the village, in the Grand Canyon is among the great spectacles in the world (and is on many people's bucket list).....many travel thousands of miles and pay thousands of dollars to see them......driving to the canyon and back to Cottonwood in one day is NOT recommended!!

Xanterra is the concessionaire for South Rim inside-the-Park lodging:

Grand Canyon National Park Lodges - You're Not Just Close - You're There!

Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I know first-hand that train is prone to robberies by masked desperados
Well that's OK because here in Arizona we carry guns! But we have REAL bullets! LOL

Old 05-19-2016, 01:29 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
most of those victims, no IDIOTS, die because they hop a fence to get a selfie.
A lot of them try to take pics of wildlife like squirrels near the edge. They try to feed them and get bit and in a panic do something dumb and over the side they go. What a bus tour guide told me recently.

So I put the squirrel down and climbed back off the edge. :0

Old 05-19-2016, 01:34 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
I did the train with my Father. Three things-

1) It isn't as tranquil of a ride as you think. The train ops feel the need to entertain you while on board, so there is live entertainment which I thought was OK but my Father could have done without it.

2) The train is a memorable experience. But note the train doesn't go along the rim of the grand canyon until you are about five minutes away from the train station.

3) Going up and coming back on the same day using the bus tour is more of a "check the bucket list item off" rather than really exploring the Canyon. I'd recommend going up and staying at least one night. We did the bus thing and came and went on the same day. If that is all the time you got it is still worth it but it was a little rushed.

Also the main park is PACKED around Thanks Giving, Spring Break, and all through summer. Good luck finding parking up there during those times if you drive there. Other places along the Grand Canyon to take a peak.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:35 PM

681 posts, read 2,800,801 times
Are there any locations outside the main national park area where the canyon can be viewed? If I can find some out of the way places to view the canyon, it might make the trip more enjoyable than braving the crowds in the park.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:40 PM

7,181 posts, read 9,231,276 times
There are a lot of areas on the North Rim. Search for Point Sublime. You may need 4WD for some of the roads. Check this page.

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvis...nformation.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona