Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you like the idea of a Disney type park in AZ
yes yes yes 55 49.11%
no 41 36.61%
maybe 16 14.29%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:20 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Kids literally don't care about the heat as much as you do. Remember theme parks are generally geared for minors. I worked at an amusement park in Phoenix, I would know. We had certain rides have 1+ hour plus waits when it was 111 out. People do not care as much as you think.

There's a good chance that the amusement park is not being geared and marketed to you so it doesn't really matter. It's geared towards tourists and young families. And young adults like myself who still do this sort of thing. Occasionally other demographics visit, sure, but it's not the target market.
Exactly. Shade, misters, water, and all is well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 01:12 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,948,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
If anyone has interest - the developers of this project will be making a presentation to the Pinal County Board of Supervisors
on Wednesday April 12 at 9:30 AM. It is streamed live online and available for viewing later online also.

This will be the first public presentation by the developers themselves. The recent meetings at the City of CG have mostly been handled by City Staff as technically they were related to the zone changes required to move this forward.

This is strictly a dog and pony show - so will be interested to see if their "marketing" presentation reveals anything new.

NovusAGENDA
Thanks for the link, I watched it and the folks who are behind this project have a solid track record. The most impressive thing for me was how the group behind this project were behind the success of Disneyworld Japan, which had been a financial disaster until they got involved.

Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,343,550 times
So, haven't posted on this for a bit. Still waiting for the next government approvals, which will likely be in June. However, This story came out in the local paper yesterday:

Proposed CG theme park ride would shoot people through a 'hypertube' at 400 mph | Area News | pinalcentral.com

I have read a bit about this technology and this could be a good way to bring a test bed to the masses for buy in.

Still lots of questions, both on the park itself and this attraction.

But stuff apparently happening in the background.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:47 PM

So, the next approval phase of this project is moving forward this month as the city council approves both the zoning changes the planning commission approved earlier, and a development agreement.

This agreement describes some sales tax reimbursement the developers will get to repay them for some infrastructure improvements they will make up front, but benefit more than this specific project.

This really is the safest plan for taxpayers because if they never finish the project, the city is not out anything. The developer only gets their money back if they generate sales revenue.

Tonight's meeting was really just a legal requirement to notify the public if the INTENT to enter into the agreement. The actual approval for all zoning and agreement will be on the 16th.

That meeting will have more detail.....however....

The developer lawyer in his presentation tonight INSISTED that a "soft" opening of phase I, the hotel, and a few attractions in Q4 2020.

With a full phase I opening of the waterpark, extreme sports park, animal park, hotel, and retail components (400k Sq Ft) by Q1 2021!

They were asked point blank if they have financing lined up and they insist they do.

So that is where things stand.

On a side note, the Pinal Board of Supervisors approved the special district for the Attesa Motorsports Complex, which if also completed, will be located about 10 miles west of Dreamport Villages Theme Park.

We'll see!

Old 08-03-2017, 04:08 PM

Just a bit more on the above timeline etc. (its a cut and paste from our local FB Group page I did so might not be formatted perfectly.

1. The fun and exciting part - "Soft" opening Q4 of 2020! This is called the "minimum resort improvements" which will include:

300 Room Hotel
100,000 Sq Ft INDOOR Waterpark
40,000 Sq Ft of indoor meeting/entertainment buildings

2. Phase I "GRAND OPENING" for ALL of the below just a few months later in Q1 2021 !! That is just a little more than 3 1/2 years away!

Extreme Sports Facility/Theme Park/Go Karting/ etc.
Adventure Zone (not sure what this actually includes - but I think like a lake type thing and more)
RV Park for visitors
400,000 Sq Ft. of more Entertainment/Retail
10-14 Restaurants
200 Room Extended Stay Hotel
"The Wild" Animal Park with rides
"The Wild" Hotel - 300 rooms and restaurant

Phase II will come in slowly over time and include additional theme parks and hotels etc. as well as the eventual residential down by CG Mountain Park.

3. The more boring - but IMPORTANT taxpayer stuff.

Developer will complete approximately 300 million dollars in "public improvements" include roads, freeway interchanges, etc. -

AFTER they open and start to generate revenue, the city will rebate them a percentage of the sales tax they generate up to 124 million dollars. This does not mean the city will not see any of the sales tax - it is a split each year until that 124M is reached and after that the city will get ALL of the sales tax money (well except for what the state and others take etc. like normal). (49% rebate on sales tax and 27.5% rebate on construction taxes - ONCE ALL IMPROVEMENTS ARE COMPLETED - money will be held in escrow until that time.

This rebate is being offered because - while the resort would be unable to open without doing all this work - the improvements will benefit more than just them - so it is not fair to make them pay for everything 100%.

It is a long and somewhat complicated agreement - but will be placed on the city's website later today I think - so people can review before the meeting on the 16th.

4. General - the numbers that are being talked about here in dollars are ASTOUNDING! We are talking BILLIONS of dollars going through here and up to 9000 jobs (including construction). These figures were audited by an independent 3rd party accountant who verified the numbers.

There is discussions about giving "local" discounted tickets - about how the resort can tie in and use public transit - and lots more.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:25 PM

More details arise out of the independent financial report commissioned by the city (legal requirement to enter into a sales tax rebate agreement):

http://destinyhosted.com/casagdocs/2...dEconomics.pdf

Of course EVERYTHING here is subject to change but....

The numbers are HUGE - 19K construction jobs - 15K other jobs -

2.0 million annual visitors in Phase I

9.0 million annual visitors at build out (10 years)

Phase II details were a bit sparse but this report outlines more detail - again, subject to change

600 unit Timeshare/Condo project

An Additonal OUTDOOR Water Park and 300 Room Hotel
(Remember Phase I includes a LARGE INDOOR Water Park and 300 room hotel - this would be in ADDITION to that)

Wildlife Park expansion and ANOTHER 300 Room Hotel
(Again Phase I has the initial wildlife park and 300 Room Hotel)

750K of retail space

On office tower (300K Sq Ft)

Movie Studio

A Snow Ski Park (Not sure what that is?)

A Coaster Park

30 Full Service Restaurants (In addition to the 14 in Phase 1)

1400 ADDITIONAL Hotel Rooms

An event center

Old 08-06-2017, 07:49 AM

1,665 posts, read 2,948,303 times
Quote:
More details arise out of the independent financial report commissioned by the city (legal requirement to enter into a sales tax rebate agreement):

Phase II details were a bit sparse but this report outlines more detail - again, subject to change

(Remember Phase I includes a LARGE INDOOR Water Park and 300 room hotel - this would be in ADDITION to that)

750K of retail space

Movie Studio

A Coaster Park

An event center
Thanks for the update this is great news!!!!

Old 08-06-2017, 09:16 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,873,705 times
Quote:

750K of retail space

Movie Studio

A Coaster Park

An event center
Dreamport Villages.. Interesting.. If it's done right, it could be a good economic boost for Casa Grande and Pinal County, and it could put the city on the national or world map.

I read portions of the PDF document and the one obvious and important part for this is, taking the hot summer temperatures into consideration, to keep all the facilities operational and profitable throughout the year, not just in the cooler months, I hope they place the important components of this project, like the Family Coaster Park (In Phase II), indoors, which will also keep employees of the facility busy and employed all year. I know they mentioned indoor and outdoor water parks, which would also be good throughout the year. I can't imagine having to wait in line outside for an hour when it's 110 degrees in July.. to ride on a roller coaster..

A Snow-Ski park - that would be interesting..

Old 08-06-2017, 11:57 AM

I THINK (though am not sure) the ski park would be similar to this:

Artificial Snow - Ski & Snowboard All Year! - Buck Hill

I guess the technology is getting pretty good at making it seem like real skiing - and given the "extreme sports" nature of many of their other attractions - this may be it. I am not sure how the heat plays into this product - shading may do well enough.

As for the overall heat issue - of course it has been brought up - they do plan to mitigate where possible - but admit that some areas of the park(s) may not get as much activity in the heat of the summer as other areas. But apparently they do not think that diminishes the overall profitability of the venture all that much.

We ll see - this meeting on the 16th will be interesting. My guess is all the Phoenix/Tucson media will be there.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:37 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,067,197 times
thanks for your regular updates, sh9730, on events in the Casa Grande area.....

is Dreamport Villages the general name of the entire project?.....if so, that might need some reconsideration.....to me, it sounds vague, spacey, unspecific, and confusing....sounds like a timeshare project for outer space!......

and, of course, those glowing, starry-eyed numbers are all just guesses.....we've seen optimistic stuff like that before.....

but, if this does go as planned, could be fantastic for many people.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona