Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:42 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
I've never received a ticket for it but have been issued a repair order or warning. OTOH I haven't had a vehicle of any make or model in the last 20 yrs that didn't get crack in the windshield somewhere. As long as the cracks don't block my vision or start lining up to combine into a potential hole I don't worry about it.

But it brings up the question. Why don't windshields last longer than a year or two before developing cracks?
In my case, it's pretty easy as it depends where you live. I'm 18 miles near the Utah border, live just off Interstate 70. I go into Grand Junction twice a week for shopping, doctor appointments, etc. Last year I got passed by an 18 wheeler where a small rock flipped off his rear tire and went boink right on the windshield, rode on the hood of my car, then fell off. It occurred between Newcastle and Silt, about 80 miles from the house. By the time I got home the cracks spread. Not much I can do about it, replaced the windshield. That stretch of 70 has a lot of truck traffic because of the energy companies that have their operations between the two towns.

A few years ago I had friends coming in from Nebraska who wanted to ride the Durango/Silverton narrow gauge train. This was late July in the early stages of the monsoon season. I was maybe a mile from the summit of Molas Divide when about a dozen small rocks (very small) came off the side of the mountain and creamed the right side of my windshield. It was just a few months previous that I had put a new windshield in it. By the time I got back to my place and dropped my friends off at the motel they were staying in, my windshield resembled a spider web. I didn't think it rained that hard the day before, but it rained hard enough to loosen a few rocks.

It's aggravating as hell, trust me, and windshields aren't cheap.

It happens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 282 times
Wow, I own a windshield repair and replacement company here in the Phoenix area. Over the 11 years in the industry, I have had multiple clients tell me they were ticketed for having a broken windshield and the damage was not even in their line of vision. It's to the Officer's discretion. If the officer wants to, and believe me here in phoenix they do want to, write you a ticket they will.

Just replace your windshield if you have $0 Deductible coverage with your insurance. Why take the risk if it's cracking more than 6" especially in your line of vision. Or repair it if it's smaller. The choice is yours. You pay for that coverage so why not use it if it won't raise your rates. Just don't abuse your coverage (more than 3 glass claims per year) or your insurance will drop you.

Not just because of the fact you can get a ticket, but also because it's a safety feature in case of a roll over accident and also a frontal accident.

All the glass in the vehicle helps hold up the roof in a roll over and the windshield acts as a backing for your passenger side air bag in a frontal accident. With your windshield damaged, you and your familyareat greater risk.

So once again, why take all those risks. No matter when you replace its 100% going to get damaged within a few months if not sooner unless you are lucky like my wife who has only gotten 1 chip in the 9 years I've known her. And we repaired it, not replaced. That was 2 years ago and it's been good ever since. That lawyer in the comments should find another profession. There are always Grey areas of the law and you can better believe that the Officer's here in AZ will manipulate those Grey areas. Why do you think there are prison complexes in almost every city or town in az, because they will do it if they can.

Have a blessed day everybody, God is great

Old 02-08-2024, 04:01 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Regardless of "The Law" or the extent . . .

Driving with a damaged windshield is "NOT THE SMARTEST THING TO DO!"

Good Luck

Old 03-14-2024, 09:24 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesagad21 View Post
<snip> You pay for that coverage so why not use it if it won't raise your rates.<snip>
I'm sorry but your information is incorrect. If the claim is less than $500 maybe but my rates went up from a window claim.

Old 03-14-2024, 09:50 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
I'm sorry but your information is incorrect. If the claim is less than $500 maybe but my rates went up from a window claim.
Raising rates for a "no fault" windshield glass claim is against Arizona law ARS 20-263. A rock while driving is no fault, but some things are not.

The statute applies generally to comprehensive claims not just windshields.

Quote:
20-263. Vehicle insurance; prohibited act by insurer; hearing; penalty

A. No insurer shall increase the motor vehicle insurance premium of an insured as a result of an accident not caused or significantly contributed to by the actions of the insured. Any insurer which increases the premium as a result of accident involvement shall notify the insured of the reason for such increase.

B. The director, after a hearing, shall order an insurer that has raised the premium of an insured in violation of subsection A to refund the amount attributable to such premium increase and shall impose a civil penalty not to exceed three hundred dollars. In determining whether an insurer has violated subsection A, the director may conduct such investigation as he deems necessary and the costs shall be paid by the insurer pursuant to section 20-159.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:48 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Raising rates for a "no fault" windshield glass claim is against Arizona law ARS 20-263. A rock while driving is no fault, but some things are not.

The statute applies generally to comprehensive claims not just windshields.
My insurance just raised my rates significantly for two glass replacements. I was told by my insurance agent that with newer cars (with lane departure technology specifically), the costs involved are so high they basically treat them as a full-blown claim. So I just removed our glass coverage all together - I'd rather pay out-of-pocket at this point. It's a racket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona