Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 12:25 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,977,885 times

Advertisements

The old timers would spray water on their sheets (cotton is best I think) to keep a little cooler when they went to sleep. I don't think it was as hot back pre-1950 as another poster said as it is now. The concrete jungle of Phoenix creates a heat bubble that raises the temperature and also keeps out a lot of the cooling monsoons that would normally flow through.

I've noticed even in Prescott (a higher elevation city but not as high up as say Flagstaff) the temperatures the last few summers seem to be getting hotter. I don't know if it is just a cycle or a trend, but we had to break down and purchase some window AC units to at least keep the temperature in the house below 90. The first few years I lived up here we got by just opening the windows up and night and letting the cool air in. Then buttoning up the house in the morning. That hasn't worked the last few summers.

Agree with other posters about the affects on appliances. My wife is a gamer and her laptop is affected by high temps in the house. She usually goes into one of the rooms with a window AC unit to game when her laptop starts overheating and it seems to help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 02:15 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
With the type of landscaping in residential neighborhoods and infrastructure that's in Arizona (rocks, gravel, dark pavement), it's no wonder it feels hotter than it really ought to. Plant more grass, trees and use less rocks and gravel for landscaping and I can assure you that won't be as hot.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:20 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,970,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
With the type of landscaping in residential neighborhoods and infrastructure that's in Arizona (rocks, gravel, dark pavement), it's no wonder it feels hotter than it really ought to. Plant more grass, trees and use less rocks and gravel for landscaping and I can assure you that won't be as hot.
If we all planted grass, we'd not only waste tons more water, but we would increase allergens, invite more bugs, and raise humidity. No thanks. If you want lush yards all over, move East of the Mississippi.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:22 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,639,561 times
I hate humidity, that's out of the question. Not everybody has to plant grass, but allow for more variety of different yard styles, not the same thing you see block after block.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:15 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,739,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Arizona cooled off just fine naturally and it still does in natural areas, which are made up of rocks and desert landscaping. Pavement and massive amounts of block, concrete and other urban construction material have created the UHI.

Instead of grass, growing the tree canopy makes a lot more sense.

Our efforts on reducing the UHI affect should be focused on cool roofs and cool pavement.

https://www.epa.gov/heat-islands/heat-island-compendium

Old 07-31-2017, 07:31 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,645,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Arizona during the summer is the hottest state in America, with temperatures in some cities being over 100 degrees every day for consecutive weeks. For those of you who live in Arizona, is it possible for YOU personally to survive in your house WITHOUT Air Conditioner?
Yes, it is scientifically possible. I worked one summer at the Department of Energy as an intern. They had world-class scientists investigating renewable energy design. One branch of scientists and engineers worked with passive solar homes. The design enhances insulation, convection, cooling, heat reflection, etc. to cool the home. There are many variations, but the technology does it exist. It won't be "ideal" but can be made to survive a Phoenix summer.

Here is one example:
This house in the desert keeps itself cool and generates its own power

There are many online resources...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylmeMilok8

Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 PM

558 posts, read 973,795 times
I live in the hills above Prescott at 5500 ft without AC. My home has a whole-house fan, a radiant barrier in the attic, sun shades above south-facing windows, and ceiling fans. The only time it's somewhat uncomfortable is the 2-3 weeks before the monsoon starts in late June when the upstairs gets into the low 80s indoors. I enjoy the <$60/month electric bill year round. The main reason I built this house this way was to have radiant floor heating which I love dearly compared to the forced-air systems I always had before. My highest monthly gas bill for heat is around $80.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:34 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times
In Flagstaff, yes. In fact may even turn on the heater on the summer nights, Flag does get surprisingly cold at night in August.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:36 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,824,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Arizona cooled off just fine naturally and it still does in natural areas, which are made up of rocks and desert landscaping. Pavement and massive amounts of block, concrete and other urban construction material have created the UHI.

Instead of grass, growing the tree canopy makes a lot more sense.

Our efforts on reducing the UHI affect should be focused on cool roofs and cool pavement.

https://www.epa.gov/heat-islands/heat-island-compendium
Grass isn't native in the majority of Arizona anyway. Grass takes up a lot of water and for minimal impact on the UHI. Want to reduce the UHI? Stop building in Buckeye and Gilbert. There you go. Build more condos in Downtown and Tempe.

Can't complain about the UHI while you also vote for the 303 and 202 expansion at the same time. You're allowing it to get even worse.

Can't complain about the UHI if you vote against public transportation.

Can't complain if you buy a home in the exurbs.

Old 08-11-2017, 06:58 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,095,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
You should maybe rephrase your question to add the lower elevations of Arizona. I can easily survive in Arizona without air conditioning, if I lived above 7,000 feet. I know this might come to a shock to many people who have never been to Arizona, but the entire state is not desert!
SHHHH!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona